MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 10-11-06, 07:42

Default Licence Plates

Hi everyone

My parents were asking me the other day about getting some personalized plates done up for the C15a truck as a Christmas gift. Since the markings are going to be done for the RHLI in NWE I thought it would be neat to get some that fit in.

Luckily our Rgt got approval for the RHLI symbol to be recognized on the plates. The design comes from the current collar badge. I also thought about getting C15-A done but I think a certain fine person from Ottawa area has them on his Ford pickup. Will have to check if the logo makes any difference.

Any way I have come up with the following designs, what do the rest of you guys think? Or does anyone have any other suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
01.jpg  
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 10-11-06, 09:51
Bluebell

Default Plates

Here's our car ( which is irrelevant), But,... How about "BREN"? .... I must like it because I bought that one as well. It would look smart with the symbol.

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 10-11-06, 13:07
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Re: Licence Plates

Quote:
Originally posted by Jordan Baker
Hi everyone

My parents were asking me the other day about getting some personalized plates done up for the C15a truck as a Christmas gift. Since the markings are going to be done for the RHLI in NWE I thought it would be neat to get some that fit in.

Luckily our Rgt got approval for the RHLI symbol to be recognized on the plates. The design comes from the current collar badge. I also thought about getting C15-A done but I think a certain fine person from Ottawa area has them on his Ford pickup. Will have to check if the logo makes any difference.

Any way I have come up with the following designs, what do the rest of you guys think? Or does anyone have any other suggestions?
Jordan...
I like them all but maybe you could put your badge and "the Rileys" on the plate..
I like that...
Old 10-11-06, 14:36

Default Some ideas...

What about something like..

WWII CMP or CMP WWII
WWII CHEV or CHEV WWII

You could also use the serial number for the truck, isn't it 8448 or 4884, something like that, can't remember anymore, so something like

WWII 8448

Of course, you KNOW my vote for the license plate would be...

PRINCESS

Tim
Old 10-11-06, 14:45
Derek Heuring

Default B.C. Veteran plates

During my recent trip back to that most favoured of lands, British Columbia, I was pleased to see that the Provincial government has finally seen fit to issue Veterans plates for private vehicles. I've been looking for a downloadable pic of the plate to no avail. The plate can be seen at several websites, just type B.C. veteran licence plate into any search engine. The plate shows the war memorial in Ottawa on a blue background with a poppy and the words VETERAN. 'bout time!

CHIMO!
Old 10-11-06, 15:11

Default Ontario has 'em too...

We've got the Veteran plates in Ontario...and anyone with military service is entitled to them. Was scratching my head last year while attending a birthday party for a wife's friend when one of the Vans had the veteran's plate...looking around at the attendees scratching my head trying to figure out who the vet was, when I realized it was her friend's dad, who was in the RCN back in the sixties aboard HMCS Bonaventure (I believe it was)

Ours is a poppy in place of where Jordan's RHLI symbol went...

Tim
Old 10-11-06, 15:38

Default How about PASS

Strange that you should start this thread today, yesterday as I was reading Formation/arm of service/serials for Australian vehicle http://www.mapleleafup.org/forums/sh...&threadid=7279 in particular JackMs picture of markings it occurred to me that “PASS” would be a neat license plate for a CMP. Back when I was thinking about a Vanity/Initial (as they called in New Hampshire) my family came up with the following list of possible truck plates for the new truck. Listed under Plate were plates that were available as Antique Vehicle plates in NH at that time. Some of them we were surprised that no one had taken them. In the end, we settled on CANADA to honor the country of origin. Many of the others while they would be meaning full for the MLU community we decided would be too esoteric for the general public.

Plate Context of plate

&THE BEAUTY &THE BEAST
CMP Canadian Military Pattern
BBC British Broadcasting Corporation
CBC Canadian Broadcasting Corporation
MVMVC Merrimack Valley Military Vehicle Collectors
MVMVCC Merrimack Valley Military Vehicle Collectors Club
WWII World War II
OLD
TRUCK
PORTEE Gun Portee
MONKEY Monkey Face Nick name for style cab Pattern 12
MUSEUM
NAAFI British Term Navy, Army and Air Force Institute
PATT12 Pattern 12 Cab
PAT12 Pattern 12 Cab
DMV Department Motor Vehicles (just to mess with their heads)
GOV Government (just to mess with their heads)
CHEV Chevrolet
CANADA Canada origin of truck
Lilley Lilley Marlene
PASS For the Pass sign on the front and rear of Canadian trucks indicating side to pass the truck on.
C6OL Chevrolet 60 carry weight long chassis
C6OS Chevrolet 60 carry weight short chassis
TEST as for test/experimental vehicle
Desert
DITTO
CHEERO Cheerio
Betsy First CBC Truck sent to Europe
Attached Thumbnails
beauty beast canada aug 10-06 005w.jpg  
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 10-11-06, 16:47
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Veterans Honoured here today..

Talking about the veterans(And I don't want to steal Jordans thread..but may be interesting..)
The Ontario Govt is renaming the Highway 62 to Bancroft(And Coe Hill) after the Hasty P's..
Damned good show..
here is the link..
http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/a.../10/c2844.html
Old 10-11-06, 17:45

Thanks for all the suggestions. Now I have more to think about. I should also add that using the logo I can use 2-6 characters whereas no logo, 2-8 characters.
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 10-11-06, 18:05

Default hmmm...

Two to six eh??? Thoguht of a few things....

BAKER - hey, this way you know which one is yours at MV events

WW2 CMP

WW2 CHV

WW2 GUY

RILEYS

W2 RHLI

WW2 C15

And of course, my vote is still for:

PRNCSS ;P

Tim
Old 10-11-06, 19:55
RIP

In some jursidictions, including Ontario, you can put on "Year of Manufacture" plates. Although these have to be original, and therefore not custom, they look pretty good. I recently passed on a pair of 1942 plates for $12.00 in a local antique shop but told a Jeep-owning friend who quickly snapped them up.
Old 10-11-06, 20:20
Mr. HUP

Default Put Kid Thru School or get YOM Plates?

Quote:
Originally posted by servicepub
In some jursidictions, including Ontario, you can put on "Year of Manufacture" plates. Although these have to be original, and therefore not custom, they look pretty good. I recently passed on a pair of 1942 plates for $12.00 in a local antique shop but told a Jeep-owning friend who quickly snapped them up.
Glad to hear you are still breathing, Clive...see

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/vehicle/yom.htm

Send plates, vehicle registration, and your payment for the YOM application fee of $237.30* (including GST)

Now what do you do if you have a 45 truck and they only had one plate (but the bureaucrats say you need two...)

RHC
Old 10-11-06, 20:39
Vets Dottir

Default Re: B.C. Veteran plates

Quote:
Originally posted by sapper740
During my recent trip back to that most favoured of lands, British Columbia, I was pleased to see that the Provincial government has finally seen fit to issue Veterans plates for private vehicles. I've been looking for a downloadable pic of the plate to no avail.

CHIMO!
I've seen a few of the Veteran Plates around this BC smalltown. They somehow catch my attention every time

Maybe I can snap a digital photo of one sometime when I have my camera, but I haven't yet, much as I've been tempted when I've had my camera with me and spotted one, as I think it's probably not okay at all to take pics of someones licence plate and show that around to people (unless of course the owner consents???) I dunno.

Old 11-11-06, 05:27
GM Fox I

Default Two questions

1. In Ontario can 'vanity' plates also be 'historic' plates? You can register your C-15A as a regular vehicle (miltary is equal to commercial) with all the restrictions and lighting requirements, etc. or as a 'historic' vehicle with limits on use but a great benefit with respect to insurance.

2. Could one make the case that the 'CZ 1234 or 'CF 1234' painted on a restored WW2 vehicle qualifies as a 'year of manufacture' plate? Oh, please tell me it does.
Old 11-11-06, 18:29

Hi Bruce
Unless things have changed in the past year you cannot use vanity plates as historic. I tried to register " UGLY EH" on the DAF as historic and it wouldn't work. I then registered it with the year of manufacture plates and my insurance company said "No, no no. This is not historic" I then reverted back to the normal historic plates. My friend at the DOT said that this may change and I don't think it has yet. One thing to be very careful of if you use year of manufacture plates. Before you put out $$$ for the plates get the number checked at the DOT. A lot of the old numbers are being recycled on trailer plates. The first set of plates I got for the DAF were the same number as a trailer up north someplace. They are nice wall hangers now.
Cheers,
Barry

Every twenty minute job is one broken bolt away from a three day ordeal.
Old 13-11-06, 21:08
Bluebell

Default Jordan

The pic of our car which never went through
Attached Thumbnails
altezza 002.jpg  

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 13-11-06, 23:27

Default DOT censorship

Your mention of what DOT having peculiar ideas of what is socially acceptable reminded me that back when I first registered my HUP in 1980 you had to go to the central DOT office to find out what plates were available. When I asked for BEAST the lady at the desk look kind of sour and type something on her computer terminal and before it could possibly have done a search said no not available. Having been warn that this could happen I pulled out a picture of the truck and showed it to her and asked her to check the spelling and wonder of wonder it was available. It seems that anything that the desk staff felt was inappropriate was just unavailable.

Interesting that you should mention that you couldn’t get the vanity plate you wanted because it was already in use. In New Hampshire they keep inventing new types of plates just so they can issue vanity plates with the same numbers or words. Now for example there you can get the same 1941 for example as a “regular plate” “antique car” “commercial” “veteran” “Environmental” all so that they can collect the extra $36 a year for special plate.
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 24-10-09, 12:15
Blitzed

Here's a plate for sale in Oz for a Studebaker truck.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NUMBER-PLATE-...item439aed2a85
Old 24-10-09, 19:06
M38A1 CDN3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Baker View Post
Hi everyone

FWIW, I'd suggest your collar dog badge + RHLI...that , I think, says it all.

Re: Further down the thread, I had a 1943 Ontario plate on the front of my C15-A and a historic plate on the back. Had no hassles over 5 years.

(Historical note...The reason I had a 1943 plate on a 1944 vehicle, was that plates were not issued in '44 ( bit of a bother going on then). One affixed a sticker on the '43 plate for validation. Sound familiar today?)
Old 26-10-09, 13:57
HLIofC - Normandy Pl

Default "Riley" Plates?

I thought it was your truck, unless you gave it to them...

As you are/were not a member of the Regiment (RHLI), why on earth would you put a "riley" plate on your truck?

too many carriers
too many rovers
not enough time.
(and now a BSA...)
(and now a Triumph TRW...)
Old 26-10-09, 16:47

why not. all my other vehs are marked to RHLI.
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 26-10-09, 16:50
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Jordan, if you're going to do that, can you at least use a King's Crown badge? It kinda goes with the time...
Old 28-10-09, 11:54

Default plates

got mine years ago, seen at corowa some time back CMP-013, on an old landcruiser owned by a fellow restorer.
Attached Thumbnails
plates 001.jpg  
Old 28-10-09, 18:01

Default Ontario plates

Hello

Lots of talks on plates.

Within Ontario, Year of Manufacture (YOM) plates are NOT Historic Plates. They are deemed as regular plates and the vehicle must be original i.e not a modified Model T with a V8. But you can get historic insurance as long as you comply with your insurance companies policy. Trailers cannot get YOM plates, i know i tried.

There is no cost to call in plate numbers with MTO to check if the plate number is already used.

Validation stickers can be attached to a little plate, which is attached to the plate so as not to destroy the original plate.

CFR, WD OR DND numbers do not count as YOM plates. It must be an original issue Ontario licence plate, which has to be sent to MTO to be authenticated. The plates can be rebuilt as long as they are the same original colours. ( Mine were rebuilt and passed)

Historic plates are cheaper but they have lots of restrictions.

Having more than two different plates displayed (Year of manufacture, foreign, DND etc.) on your vehicle while operating on the roadway is against the law and can have the plate seized and a court date given to the driver or owner. ( Your insurance can also be void in some cases if the vehicle or driver is breaching Provincial law if involved in a collision. This pertains to licening and registration of the vehicle.)

Use wing nuts (or magnetic attachments as Robin Craig would use) to take off the road plates and put on display plates for static displays or parades. ( Just remember to change them for road use).

Vanity plates are the same cost or more than YOM plates and are regular plates.

More info can be obtained by looking up http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/

I know for me if you are restoring a vehicle as original then a year of manufacture plate is the way i would go or a veterans plate.

Let us know how you made out.

thanks

Eric