MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 07-02-05, 02:00
aka C. Mark Perry (CMP)

Default Another HUP mystery part

I started to disassemble the hip ring today. On the front of the metal rim was a strip of sheet metal, about 1" x 8" held on with four sheet-metal screws, in holes drilled in the metal ring. The piece of metal was thing, galvanized, and was held on by oval-head, not round or pan-head screws, so the fasteners were definitely not original. The only function I can think of for this strip being there is perhaps to give a bit of bite for the canvas top when it is tightened from the rear, presumably by cords through the two holes in the roof behind the ring. I am guessing the ties would be secured to a U-channel and clevis pin thing mounted on the inside of the cab roof behind the ring opening. There is also a curved plate behind the ring which appears to have held down the edge of the cover, as there are remnants of fabric under it. I have no details or illustrations of the hip ring cover setup, so I'm guessing.

The piece has been attached since at least before the truck was painted yellow, likely in the '50s.

Anyone else encounted this metal strip on a hip ring? Any other ideas why it would be there?
Old 07-02-05, 02:39
Mr. HUP

Default HUP THINGY

Mark,

Ah, the mystery and challenges of the HUP! Could you post a pic of the offending pieces? I will see if it matches any of the parts taken off of my metal mistress.

I have been doing some checking, and it seems that on some HUP models, the canvas cover for the round hatch was tightened not by a draw cord, but by a spring that ran inside the diameter of the cover; Herbie pops his head up into the cover and the cover springs out of his way!

Keep on Hupping!

R
Old 07-02-05, 05:04
aka C. Mark Perry (CMP)

Default Pic of the mystery strip

Will take a snap tomorrow - my batteries were getting low today. I just had enough juice to get some general shots of the ring after I took the pads out, to show the installation of the liner and construction of the pads. Been fighting with all those sheet metal screws on the liner retaining strips the last couple of days - one last stubborn bugger would not budge before I had to leave today. I've mapped and numbered the metal retainer strips - all 29 of them (and one missing, for 30) Ratty sheets of pressboard and tarpaper piling up in the corner.

While, I'm thinking about it - I notice that the filler panel in what's left of the divider - the angled section on the right side - is a piece of plywood held by screws and a kind of flanged nut. Wondering of the filler panels in the rest of the upper divider would also have been plywood, to be screwed in like manner to the frame. Would that have been strong enough to support the sliding window, though?

Tomorrow is Prairie Command monthly meeting, to be held at my rented garage, so members can see and critique my work-in-progress.
Old 07-02-05, 18:53
Mr. HUP

Default DIVIDERS

Mark,

The divider panels on my HUP are 1/4 inch plywood. If you wish I can send a block diagram of the panel configuration. The divider has a built in track on which the glass slides. I will PM some shots of my divider frame before and after disassembly. All of my panels were secured to the metal frame by those terrible flanged nuts. Please let me know if you come by a source that has modern day replacements.

RHC