MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > BUY, TRADE or SELL > For Sale Or Wanted

Notices

Old 24-07-18, 03:20
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Have found an interesting fact. The Flash Eliminator for the Mk V .5 is not part of the gun. It is permanently mounted to the Mantlet Cowl, and when the the MG is fitted, the muzzle just projects into the opening. The clearance between the OD of the barrel and the ID of the Flash Eliminator acts as a venturi to draw fumes from the interior of the turret.

Similarly with the .303 on the left side, the booster muzzle just protrudes through an enlarged opening in the cowl. Gases from the booster are projected forward and draw fumes out of the turret. The front face of the cooling jacket on both guns do not contact/seal against the front face of the mantlet cowl.
Old 24-07-18, 05:06

Very handy info Tony. Was wondering if this was the case as a few pics of the .5 " show a plain barrel protrusion from the cooling jacket. As Colin has fitted up the "external parts" of the guns I intended doing much the same as you have described so this is good news.
Old 25-07-18, 13:29

Default Vickers .303

Another part that changed on different models of the .303 Vickers is the top cover. On some models it pivoted from the end on others intended for use in a confined space (aircraft, AFV) it opened to the side.
The Imperial Japanese Navy used an exact copy of the Vickers Mk 5 in the Zero and the Val and no doubt other aircraft. The calibre was .303 or to give it it's metric designation 7.7 by 56R. Predaux disintegrating links were used with some even featuring the patent number though these may have been from captured stock.

David
Old 25-07-18, 16:01

Hi David, yes I was aware of the different top cover but was very un-aware of the guns type being used by the Japanese Air Force . Still awaiting some further info from some members who were researching these guns, hopefully we will have more info to share around very soon, cheers Dok
Old 26-07-18, 03:07

Hi Dave
It's a little off topic but to clear up any misapprehension. The Japanese didn't have a separate airforce in WW2, they had a naval air arm and an army air arm that existed quite independently using different aircraft of course but even weapons and calibre's of weapons were not standardised.
The IJN was very much based on adapted Royal Navy practices and equipment. For example, the flexible gun in the rear of the Val dive bomber was an exact copy of the Lewis .303 aircraft gun. The two fixed, forward firing were exact copies of the Vickers and used what appears to be the same interrupter. All three guns were in their original calibre and could fire British ammunition.
Back to topic.

Dave

Last edited by motto; 26-07-18 at 03:13.
Old 28-07-18, 13:26
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

It's like waiting for a taxi on a Friday night out. You never see any, then half a dozen turn up.

Received an auction catalog in the post, and Lo and Behold, a .5-in MkV Vickers for sale. Lithgow SAF Museum doesn't have an example of a Mk V, and none others are known in other collections in Aust Museums or private holdings. Well, I had to do the responsible thing and have submitted an obscenely large postal bid form (well, actually the form is just A4 size).

Just have to wait and see if my idea of obscene is bigger or smaller than someone else's idea of obscene!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7586-2.jpg  
Old 28-07-18, 15:24

Thanks Tony, I'll wait to see what you can turn up.
Old 06-08-18, 12:54

I was at the Cobbaton Combat Colection in Devon last week and they have one on display if thats of any help.

PT
Old 06-08-18, 14:10

Default Vickers measurements

Tony Smith, Can you PM me mate, I need your help. d.a.lean@bigpond.net.au
Old 06-08-18, 14:14

Hi Paul, good to know mate, I may have to press you into service and get you to take a few critical measurements if you can get your hands on it but I'll let you know if that's needed. thanks Dave