MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 14-01-15, 14:38

Default MV repair, use or show in 2014

Just wondering about how much repair, use or opportunities to show military vehicles that others had in 2014.

Purchased my MK 2/3 Ferret in October 2013. 2014 was my first full year of ownership and it started out by having to pull out the fuel tank, overhauling the fuel system, rebuilding the master brake cylinder and changing all fluids. I managed to get the Ferret ready for and did attend the Aquino event in Oshawa. More repairs after that...fluid flywheel leak and rear left outer tactra leak. Back on the road by mid August, participated in Ports Credit's Remembrance Day procession and only local outings/drives after that. According to the odometer, a total of 250 miles or 402 km for 2014. I'm looking forward to better results in 2015 which started with a drive on New Years Day.

How about everyone else?
Old 14-01-15, 19:48

There are nearly always teething problems with a new acquisition and it takes a while to lick a vehicle into shape.
I recently imported a vehicle from the states and am now involved in sorting it out. One of the items that needs addressing is the red turn indicator lights on the rear. They are apparently acceptable in the U.S. but are illegal here in Australia. All indicator lights here must be amber and I'm modifying a couple of original style BO lights to incorporate that feature.

David
Old 14-01-15, 22:03

Interesting thread, according to my permit books for the Jeep & Dodge, I have had them 'out' for 15 days and 13 days.
This includes local car club weekend runs, Anzac Day, Corowa rally (5 days), picnics and other outings.
On some occasions I have had them out in the local area for a quick spin or drop off/collect the kids from school.
I have probably averaged about 650 to 800km per year per vehicle (rough calculation).
1943 Chev C60L Army Cargo Truck
1941 LP2 VR 731 Bren Gun Carrier 3" Mortar Carrying

Under restoration:
1940 LP1 Bren Gun Carrier
194? 1 Ton Trl Ben Hur
1942 C15A with sunshine cabin

MVPA 31338
Old 15-01-15, 22:00

Default MV Events 2014 in New England

Hi Terry

2014 Year in review for Military Vehicle Events, driving and repairs. Well for the first time in a while all three of my CMPs were fully operational by the end of the year.

So between the three here is the box score for the year 6 Parades, 5 CruiseIn events, 2 long run club trips, 1 truck show, plus our local clubs week long summer rally.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 04-02-15, 01:20

Thanks to those who have replied/posted on this thread. Always interesting to read about how much others get to use their military vehicles. Look forward to reading more.
Old 04-02-15, 03:23
Terry Warner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrin Wright View Post
On some occasions I have had them out in the local area for a quick spin or drop off/collect the kids from school.
Mine is afraid to get in. The vinyl covered Jeep doors worry him.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 07-02-15, 16:08
Terry Warner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrin Wright View Post
Interesting thread, according to my permit books for the Jeep & Dodge, I have had them 'out' for 15 days and 13 days.
This includes local car club weekend runs, Anzac Day, Corowa rally (5 days), picnics and other outings....
This is an interesting difference. My one rolling vehicle has an ordinary vehicle licence plate and no particular restrictions. So, what conditions do Aussies, Kiwis, Brits and Americans have to meet in order to drive their (formerly) old rusty trucks?

In Canada, motor vehicles are registered by the province. My vehicle was plated in another province, but that made no difference to Ontario. First things first, with the bill of sale I needed to register it as "unfit" to declare ownership. That cost $$$ and was based on its declared resale value. Then I had to find a garage approved for vehicle inspections. I talked to the garageman about what he would be inspecting, and concentrating on those areas for repairs. Fortunately he is ex RCEME and has a soft spot for green trucks. I found an insurance company that sells limited use collectors' insurance as long as I hold a valid policy on my daily driver vehicle. That cost about $150. With proof of insurance and the ownership, I bought a 10-day temporary registration and drove to the prearranged garage. He pointed out two minor things which I fixed right away, and had it reinspected before the trip permit expired. He signed the inspection report, and I went back to the licence bureau. Only then could I register it as a 'whatever', and paid $$$ based on some impenetrable formula. It has the same licence plate as my car, and except for use restrictions from the insurer I can drive it anywhere and anytime. The 'whatever' is because province's database had no entry for a 1974 AM General M151A2. So every other "jeep" of this type is actually registered as something else.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!

Last edited by maple_leaf_eh; 07-02-15 at 16:16.
Old 08-02-15, 10:39
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default rego

Quote:
Originally Posted by maple_leaf_eh View Post
This is an interesting difference. My one rolling vehicle has an ordinary vehicle licence plate and no particular restrictions. So, what conditions do Aussies, Kiwis, Brits and Americans have to meet in order to drive their (formerly) old rusty trucks?

In Canada, motor vehicles are registered by the province. My vehicle was plated in another province, but that made no difference to Ontario. First things first, with the bill of sale I needed to register it as "unfit" to declare ownership. That cost $$$ and was based on its declared resale value. Then I had to find a garage approved for vehicle inspections. I talked to the garageman about what he would be inspecting, and concentrating on those areas for repairs. Fortunately he is ex RCEME and has a soft spot for green trucks. I found an insurance company that sells limited use collectors' insurance as long as I hold a valid policy on my daily driver vehicle. That cost about $150. With proof of insurance and the ownership, I bought a 10-day temporary registration and drove to the prearranged garage. He pointed out two minor things which I fixed right away, and had it reinspected before the trip permit expired. He signed the inspection report, and I went back to the licence bureau. Only then could I register it as a 'whatever', and paid $$$ based on some impenetrable formula. It has the same licence plate as my car, and except for use restrictions from the insurer I can drive it anywhere and anytime. The 'whatever' is because province's database had no entry for a 1974 AM General M151A2. So every other "jeep" of this type is actually registered as something else.
If you are registering a unusual vehicle, it helps the guy behind the counter, if you can take along any technical specifications relating to your vehicle. Weight , horsepower and so on. Any books or manuals with specs will help as well , the counter staff tend to believe printed data more than your own words .

Last time I drove my own MV to an event , the VMVC swap meet 1999 in the C8 .
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 09-02-15, 11:11

Default use and show

With each Australian state having it,s own rules what works for me doesn,t suit everybody. Our NSW club is governed by our state traffic department [RMS ]which believes that " the vehicle is to be as close to Original as possible, with the exception of safety items ", this allows for 12volt lights, indicators, etc. The club has Authorized Runs and you may attend other events by invitation, eg, KVE invite us to attend Corowa. All vehicle movements are recorded by the club and IF the police pull you over you must produce evidence that your trip is authorized, otherwise you can be charged with Driving an unregistered and uninsured vehicle. If I drive to Corowa that's a round trip of 1100Klm, the annual Camp Quality Tractor Trek is 500Klm plus ANZAC day events, local displays the little blitz clocks up 2500 - 3000 K,s a year.