MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > Military Shows & Events > COROWA - THE EVENT

Notices

Old 03-04-07, 03:46
Vets Dottir 2nd

I checked my eticket info and if Geoff is to be on the same flight I was then it hasn't left yet:

Qantas QF11 Sydney to Los Angeles supposed to depart: 13:25 (1:25 Sydney time?)
Old 03-04-07, 06:43
Vets Dottir 2nd

Well ... Jif should be airborne now ... the flight has departed

NOW Keefy, he should be about an hour into his return flight

QF11 Los Angeles 13:25 13:44 Departed

Safe Flights all the way home ...
Old 03-04-07, 20:23
Vets Dottir 2nd

Well, looks like Geoff is cooling his jets at Los Angeles airport right now waiting for his flight home to Toronto. He must be outside smoking up a storm

QF11 from Sydney to Los Angeles est. 09:45 "09:34 Landed"

K.

PS: ... I just remembered Geoff should land at Toronto airport approximately 7:55 p.m. Toronto time ... so ... he must be boarded and may already be airborne? Wow ... almost home after a month of Australia. Bet that's gonna feel strange to be back home, but good to see he cats and unpack his bags and stay put for a while

BTW folks, my newest understanding regards my own trip and tickets with my name as passenger situations is that now I have been told yesterday that the tickets are good for using for one full year from date of purchase, can not be refunded (or sold/traded to another passenger ??? ) There would simply be a big fee charged for the airlines to change dates/times. I would now have to change/sort out some situations and upcoming things (ongoing treatments and other upcoming important things) to go ... and sort out other things this end and that ... but, bottom line? There is still possibility, as long as the trip is completed and I'm home again by January 15, 2008!!! if people still want me visiting and all gets sorted out that I need to sort out regards my own sitreps with treatments and all

My original interpretation of nonchangeable tickets I thought that meant can not change date/time of original flights, then I was told I could leave on a few different dates by April 30th this trip, and now its by Jan 15, 2008. Amazing! ... Make up my mind for me please :

Kartmann
Old 03-04-07, 21:21
Vets Dottir 2nd

Here is a video news clip about the Solomons tsunami:

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Video/20...3/3906293.html
Old 04-04-07, 01:47
"Sid and Errol's Dad"

Quote:
Originally posted by Vets Dottir 2nd
... then I was told I could leave on a few different dates by April 30th this trip, and now its by Jan 15, 2008. Amazing! ... Make up my mind for me please :

Kartmann
Original offer still stands.
HH
F15 #12
F15A #13 (stretched)
F60S #13
C15A #13 Wireless (incomplete)
Old 04-04-07, 04:25
Vets Dottir 2nd

Quote:
Originally posted by Howard
Original offer still stands.
HH
Thank you for that Howard

Karmen
Old 04-04-07, 04:32
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Home again!

It's been a long bloody day! It was easier heading east as I thought it might be, but still a pain in the arse. It's about 5C here right now and just pissing down rain. I'm freezing here!

The only negative note to close this trip was that an Aussie ATM ate my bankcard yesterday, leaving me with damn-all money until I can get to the bank tomorrow. The cats are pissed at me because I'm out of tuna until then, but they'll live; at least they're talking to me!

I'm not even unpacking tonight - piss on it. It's almost 2230 here now, and I'm tired, but relaxing now that the airplane crap is done. I've walked too far carrying too much crap in the last couple of days, so I'm on the cane again, but hopefully if this cold and wet snap breaks, I'll be able to chuck it again. At least there are only two working days before Easter, and I rather suspect not much work is going to get done.

All I can say for now with regards all this is WOW. I'll be pulling my thoughts together over the next few days and will post them here.

Thanks, everybody.

Jif
Old 04-04-07, 04:46
Pops

Default home

glad to hear you made it back home safely even though you had to carry all those treasures (crap to some). Sure you didn't use the wrong card at the atm as we know a lady that the atm ate her card and she went into the bank to complain and they found she tried to use her bankcard instead of the card for the atm. So who knows what happened. If you need help with the cats we can send Taz and Ollie if you like to sort them out, or perhaps the spider we showed you.

Max
Old 04-04-07, 05:04

Default Re: home

Quote:
Originally posted by Max Hedges
glad to hear you made it back home safely even though you had to carry all those treasures (crap to some). Sure you didn't use the wrong card at the atm as we know a lady that the atm ate her card and she went into the bank to complain and they found she tried to use her bankcard instead of the card for the atm. So who knows what happened. If you need help with the cats we can send Taz and Ollie if you like to sort them out, or perhaps the spider we showed you.

Max
Naw, Max, I had no problem with it the whole month, just that last, fateful day. No sweat, though, I'll have another one tomorrow.

BTW, the cats might be more interested in the snake, but I guess the ants are now well-fed so it's a moot point.

Going to clear off and watch the news and try to sleep. I'll catch up with you tomorrow.

Jif
Old 04-04-07, 05:35
Vets Dottir 2nd

Default Re: home

Quote:
Originally posted by Max Hedges
Sure you didn't use the wrong card at the atm as we know a lady that the atm ate her card and she went into the bank to complain and they found she tried to use her bankcard instead of the card for the atm.

Max
Canadian Bank cards work for use in ATM's and debit machines in stores too

Is Happy crying out for Jif?

Karmen
Old 04-04-07, 08:05

Glad to see you got home safely Jif and looking forward to hearing more about your adventures over the following weeks.

Cheers
Cliff

"and on the 8th day he made trucks so that man, made on the 7th day, had shelter when woman threw him out for the night"
MrRoo says "TRUCKS ROOLE"
Old 05-04-07, 12:34
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Jif and his kitties

How are the titfers treating you, Geoff?

Hope the good memories from here are sustaining you!

Looking forward to hearing your impressions once you have a chance to consider them.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 05-04-07, 15:52

Keefy, it was 0 and bloody snowing this morning! The office is half empty with those who have said piss on it and moved on. Methinks I should join their ranks. I'm still tired and bored as hell, but I'll live.

Detailed thoughts about the last month this weekend. I'll try to call you too, if I can coordinate times.
Old 17-04-07, 01:44

Default Re: In reflection....

Quote:
Originally posted by Pedr
Ok...so you've been here for nearly a month Jiffy.
Travelled a few miles,
Spent a short stint in one of our Hospitals,
Saw our premier military event for the year,
Worked and lived on a real farm,
Chased our native fauna and livestock,
Saw some of our sights,
Droolled over our excessive quantities of Blitzes,
Eaten our tucker,
Drunk our grog,
Smoked our durries and had a natter with some of our sheilas....

What is your opinion of this sunburnt country now mate??
What did you learn or what didn't you know before you came?,
What did you find?,
What did you like?,
What didn't you like?,
How do you feel? ( health wise )
What can we do to improve things here in our country? ( in your eyes )

Just interested to know what you thought?

We've / I've enjoyed your visit...sad to see you go...glad you came over anyway....looking forward to seeing you back here again, and hoping next time you might be able to stay a while longer. ( maybe for good )

Pedr
Pedr,

OK, it's time to answer you, mate. First of all, thank you for your welcome and salutations. It was a pleasure spending even the brief time I had with you, and yes, it shall happen again -- whether 'for good' or not is anyone's guess at this point in time; as I told Howard in a PM, I do need out of this place for a variety of reasons, but we shan't delve into the details for the moment. Suffice to say my mind is pretty much made up. Where this is going to take me I have no bloody idea right now... first I have to find out whether I need a new hip (I suspect so) then after?

Oh piss on it, here are the details, aside from those already disclosed: the building I live in has now an application for rezoning extant for sale and/or demolition. My company is being sold to the Yanks, which means massive cuts in the near future, and a LONG strike which will bugger both the company and the union, never mind us poor working minions. In addition to that, if one retires after 2011, one gets NO benefits now. So... no place to live soon, no job despite 18 years-in, and perhaps major surgury. Never mind getting my teeth fixed. The latter two bits can be taken care of under the benefits I have now, so no big deal, albeit a bit of an ordeal.

Add that to the fact that this climate is slowly killing me, and yes, I want out. I'll be gone in less than a year, where I don't know, but I DO know this has to happen. And no sweat, as we say here, I can run my MLU 'empire' from anywhere.

Enough about me.

This is about you.

Before anything else, I'm in fine shape other than being unable to walk without a stick and even then not easily. There never was anything wrong with me beyond exhaustion and stress. That's gone now, so be done with it.

BTW, your medical system is about as efficient as ours - which is to say, state-run and bloody near useless. Sure, the people on the front line are wonderful, but they can't fart without written permission, and the last two days I spent in the system were totally pointless. The 'system' did nothing. Don't get hospitalized on a weekend is my advice.

We'll let that go now, OK?

On to more pleasant things.

Your 'sunburnt country' is magnificent, as are the people who define it. I only saw a corner of it, of course, but what I saw compells me to want to see the rest. What I saw was essentially a vast, unspoiled land sparsely-populated outside the big cities (which aren't terribly different than ours), and drought- aside, full of promise. I felt at home there. I was MADE to feel at home there, not just by you lot, but by everyone I spoke to. It's been a long time since I've had that experience.

We'll not get into the subject of your national blitz collection. My brain is still smoldering regards that.

Your tucker is good, especially the lamb, the amount of which I haven't eaten since a child. Kathy Hedges was especially good at that, but then I reckon that goes with the territory, eh? She would never tell me the name of whoever it was I ate, but perhaps that's for the best.

You pub grub is pretty good too, although a trifle pricey... no complaints from this end, though.

Speaking of pricey, while your schooners of beer are much cheaper than here (and better beer!), some of your bottle shops are what we might call 'highway robbery'. I saw price variations which ran from approximately what we pay to almost a half-again. Although I'm inherently against government intervention in the economy, considering the pernetage the government is taking from the sale of tobacco and alcohol, it seems unreasonable to hand the pricing to individual store owners who can decide how much they want to screw the working stiffs out of. 'Nuff said.

Your sheilas.... some of the most delightful ladies it's ever been my privilege to meet. I think I fell in love five times, but I'll have you know I kept my hands and my thoughts to myself. We'll say no more about this, either.

Pedr, for what little I saw, there was nothing I disliked about Australia, and other than getting the government's hands out of your pockets (a common problem these days), no improvements I can suggest.

These, sir, are just the first of my thoughts. Thank you.

Jif