MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Old 26-06-10, 20:38
"Skunque-Breaker"

Default Replica DND Plate!!!

I worked with a guy in California to have reasonably priced DND plates made for my Iltis and M101CDN2 Trailer. This is the result:

The maker is MiniPl8s, contact James Taylor marketwizard1@cox.net

Plates are a 3 piece construction: the graphics printed on cardstock, a poly sheet on the back for rigidity, and a heavy duty clear plastic laminate to protect from water, UV, sunlight etc.

Cost for 3 full-sized plates was $59 with postage to USA.

Colorado passed a law allowing collectable military vehicles to not display the state issued plates, but require them to be kept in the vehicle unless required to be presented to law enforcement.

So I wanted a set of plates to allow my Itis to honor Canadian vets, whom the rest of the world don't realize, are fighting and dying in the GWOT, too.

WTB: Iltis Cargo Area Floorboards, C9A1 Green Handguard, TICCS Dash Mount; C79 Green Rubber Armor; M72A5-7 LAW Tube; Arid CadPat Rank Slides/Helmet Covers/Pants, etc
Old 04-07-10, 19:58

Default DND plates or reproductions

Hello

Not a bad reproduction. Original DND plates are getting harder to find and are becoming more expensive.

Just a reminder that DND plates (or reproduction) are not permitted to be used on any other than a currently registered DND vehicle being operated on a roadway. Regardless of what Country the vehicle is in.

This includes being displayed in addition to the proper Provincial or State licence plates.

I know of persons whom have been stopped on the roadway while driving with DND plates attached, by the Military Police as well other police agencies and have had the plates seized and charged.

I do have DND plates for my vehicle and use them strictly when the vehicle is in a parade (On a closed road) or as a static display. Ensuring that they are removed when i hit the road. Wing nuts work great for easy attachment and removal.

I know others who have them attached by magnets.

The other thing i have done is use a licence plate frame painted white with Canada on the top with Maple leafs, with the civilian plate. As long as the Province or State is not hidden this is permitted.

Thanks
Eric
Old 09-08-10, 04:25
"Skunque-Breaker"

Colorado just passed a law allowing collectable military vehicles to not display a state issued plate. Plates are issued but kept in the vehicle and presented to appropriate law enforcement officials as needed along with registration and proof of insurance.

I bought a set for my Skunque and one for my M101CDN2.

WTB: Iltis Cargo Area Floorboards, C9A1 Green Handguard, TICCS Dash Mount; C79 Green Rubber Armor; M72A5-7 LAW Tube; Arid CadPat Rank Slides/Helmet Covers/Pants, etc
Old 09-08-10, 19:41
M38A1 CDN3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
Hello

Not a bad reproduction. Original DND plates are getting harder to find and are becoming more expensive.

Just a reminder that DND plates (or reproduction) are not permitted to be used on any other than a currently registered DND vehicle being operated on a roadway. Regardless of what Country the vehicle is in.

This includes being displayed in addition to the proper Provincial or State licence plates.

I know of persons whom have been stopped on the roadway while driving with DND plates attached, by the Military Police as well other police agencies and have had the plates seized and charged.

I do have DND plates for my vehicle and use them strictly when the vehicle is in a parade (On a closed road) or as a static display. Ensuring that they are removed when i hit the road. Wing nuts work great for easy attachment and removal.

I know others who have them attached by magnets.

The other thing i have done is use a licence plate frame painted white with Canada on the top with Maple leafs, with the civilian plate. As long as the Province or State is not hidden this is permitted.

Thanks
Eric
I live in Ontario and have a set of correct CFR plates on my M38A1CDN3. I also attach a provincial plate on the antenna mount with wing nuts (rear only) and carry the front plate in the glovebox.

I consulted with the local OPP detachment about this arrangement.

Bottom line: No problem and no reason to do a traffic stop.

Perhaps living in a small town helps, too.
Old 12-08-10, 22:00

Default driving with DND plates

Hello Jon

Actually you were given the wrong advise. Yes must be a small town.

It is against the law in Ontario to display any plates on your vehicle other than those registered for it (Except for parades and displays) and in addition to the fine the plates could be seized.

Plus you must have both plates attached to your vehicle in a proper manner.

Therefore, there are two very good reason for a traffic stop.

In addition the Military police may stop you for having DND plates displayed.

I encourage MV collectors to follow the rules pertaining to plates within their own state, province etc. If the display plates get misused it will ruin it for all of the MV owners.

you can look up the law yourself on e-laws ontario.

Besides Provincial law i am sure there is a Federal law pertaining to the use of DND plates as well.

There are ways to get around the system, you can buy year of manufacture plates and have them registered for your vehicle,( these are original Ontario plates produced the year of your vehicle) or buy a vanity plate with your CFR number on it.

Yes this will cost you more money up front but it will save you and other MV owners some grief in the long haul.

thanks
Eric
Old 13-08-10, 09:11
M38A1 CDN3

Well, Eric, I can only go by what I was advised by the local PD.

I have the badge number, name and platoon number of the advising officer.

If she is misinformed, I wonder where I stand if a police car from a neighbouring jurisdiction takes a different point of view?

By no means am I trying to subvert any existing Provincial/Federal legislation.

By no means do I make any attempt to denigrate the family of Historic Vehicle owners.

I'm simply trying to display my 1971 M38A1CDN3 in the most appropriate manner possible, within the law, as interpreted to me by a police officer.

Shall I go on and describe how I stick a de-activated FN C1 into the rifle rack and tool about the town?
Old 13-08-10, 14:15
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Jail...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Skagfeld View Post
Well, Eric, I can only go by what I was advised by the local PD.

I have the badge number, name and platoon number of the advising officer.

If she is misinformed, I wonder where I stand if a police car from a neighbouring jurisdiction takes a different point of view?

By no means am I trying to subvert any existing Provincial/Federal legislation.

By no means do I make any attempt to denigrate the family of Historic Vehicle owners.

I'm simply trying to display my 1971 M38A1CDN3 in the most appropriate manner possible, within the law, as interpreted to me by a police officer.

Shall I go on and describe how I stick a de-activated FN C1 into the rifle rack and tool about the town?
Jon...
When the jail door slams..keep your fingers in your pockets..
"She/he told me....."
"I thought..."
and all the other excuses you can come up with ,will get you no where..
But if you let us know where you are locked up ,I will stop in and visit you when we are in the Owen Sound area,,..
Eric,like any good cop, can be a pain in the ass when he is telling us stuff we don't want to hear..but he deals with this stuff day in and day out and I would stick with his recommendations ..he is one of us and very knowledgeable when it comes to our hobby of collecting Rusty Old Trucks..being a collector himself..

Get you red shirt on,it's Friday, and get out for a Timmys..
Old 13-08-10, 14:48
carrier mech

A DND plate will not mean much to most civilian police, but it certainly does to the MPs. Apparently there was a case many years ago where someone bought a staff car that had the plates still on it and continued to drive it for a time with the plates. DND tightened up security wrt the plates after that. If a plate was lost or stolen, the vehicle was to be assigned a new CFR. And I have seen the MPs travel many miles to recover a plate that was inadvertently left on a vehicle and found it's way to the mil scrapyard.

The DND plate is a sign of insurance (underwriter's insurance if I recall) and technically using one is displaying a false insurance.
Old 13-08-10, 18:15
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post
The DND plate is a sign of insurance (underwriter's insurance if I recall) and technically using one is displaying a false insurance.
I thought that DND, like most Government agencies, self-insured.
I agree with Eric, and others, that the use of a DND plate is inappropriate in all circumstances other than a static display (I'm not even sure that it should be on a parade vehicle as that could give the impression that it is a DND vehicle - made all that much more ambiguous when the driver is in a uniform of sorts.)
Clive
Old 13-08-10, 19:46

Default dnd plates

Hello Folks

Thanks Rob, Alex and Clive

For those who wish to make their own informed decision pertaining to traffic law in Ontario I have attached the link to the Highway Traffic Act e-law web page.

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/sta...es_90h08_e.htm

As I indicated earlier there are other options for Ontario licence plates than the regular issued plates, such as Year of Manufacture, Veteran and Personal plates, including a support our troop yellow ribbon. Information on these can be obtained from the Ministry of Ontario web page at.
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dan...le/index.shtml

I included the use of DND plates in a parade as this involves a closed roadway, which permits unlicenced or other vehicles to drive on the road, which normally are not permitted. No Provincial offence would take place.

Thanks
Eric
Old 13-08-10, 20:01

Default Eric...

...This will go on forever. Will you talk with Syd and have this posted for all to see on the OMVA website and quote the authority for this to end the curiosity? Perhaps title it "Display of DND plate on collector vehicles",
or whatever. I like the US copies because they are close but not original.
I know MP's that look for plates that "got away".
There was a mass sale of Jeeps at downsview about 1983 or so and in the back of a 3 ton up for sale were about 100 plate that had been thrown there by whoever took them off. Probably 40 disappeared before the meatheads showed up. I still have 2. They also show up in scrapyards.

Peter
Old 13-08-10, 20:09
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
I included the use of DND plates in a parade as this involves a closed roadway, which permits unlicenced or other vehicles to drive on the road, which normally are not permitted. No Provincial offence would take place.
But possibly a Federal offence under the National Defence Act?
Old 14-08-10, 13:02

I work in film and there is a place in Toronto called U B Signs they make all the plates for cars we use in Movies..they can do any plate from any State or Country from any period.

They can make cheaper "flat" plates or better 3 dimentional plates.
I am sure they could make DND plates if you have a good photo of one to show them.

Dean
Old 31-08-10, 02:39
James Dalueg

Default Replica DND Plate

The technically correct answer is No. In Ontario, you are permitted to display the registration plates for the vehicle as provided by the issuing authority- Province, State, or Federal Authority. Examples being DND, Diplomatic Plates etc. However like everything else in the world, common sense and discretion can be a factor.

You would think that 'Confusing' the identity of the vehicle on a restored operational Military Vehicle would be a stretch if your regular plates are displayed correctly. You could argue validity, or Collector, historic status forever but the charge itself is pretty subjective and simple to prove in Court.

Operating your MV on an open Highway with a DND plate on its own is asking for trouble and could end up costing you an expensive Tow and Impound bill and fines.

In 26 years of law enforcement I have never seen a reason to remove the plate from a civilian owned MV that was mechanically sound and driven in a proper manner. And I have never encountered one that wasn't.

I will admit I have pulled over a few to admire the workmanship and shake the hand of the driver/owner who keeps the green alive!

The same issue arises with very old nostalgic cars which drive with original licence plates and current issue at the same time. Or European/Overseas country plates on an Ontario registered vehicle by a permanent resident.

Any enforcement officer who needs stats that bad.....................well, thats another story.
1956 M135 CDN w/w
1956 M135 CDN parts truck
Old 31-08-10, 15:07
Mr. HUP

Default Hmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seatyger View Post
...I will admit I have pulled over a few to admire the workmanship and shake the hand of the driver/owner who keeps the green alive!
I'll bet that pulling them over to admire the "green" really made their day...
Old 31-08-10, 20:33

Default dnd plates

here in the UK we often afix the genuine plates to the vehicle but only in the show field...some owners do however afix them permanantly on the vehicle along side the new issued plate...never heard of any problems this side of the pond with Police or MP's...although there is at present an ongoing MOD operation whereas MP's are going around swap meets/military shows etc...and searching dealers who are selling new issue military kit...have heard of a couple of arrests...best regards malcolm
Old 07-12-13, 22:14

Default use of non issued traffic plates

I realize my comments are dated.. I always find it interesting when people are quoting what they have been told by the "local Police". Not every peace office knows all the ins and outs of traffic legislation or Federal DND law. I also know that locals will sometime turn a blind eye for the sake of public relations for some mis-guided good intentions. I am fully aware that the guidance being given out here is from one who does know the ins and outs of all this legal mess, and only wishes the best for those who want to portray our vehicles in a legal and proper format. If people only knew "who" is at the other end of the keyboard sometimes, it would make some of these discussions very short. All I can say is follow the guidance given and regardless where you travel within that jurisdication you should have an enjoyable and hassle free ride, unless the cop pulling you over simply wants to ooh and ahh over the vehicle. I know what I am talking about as well, as have 31 years and more as a RCMP officer. I am also aware fully that other police officers were involved in this discussion thread.

enjoy your rides. Ewen
Old 08-12-13, 04:28
Mr. HUP

Default Whimsical pull overs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewen B View Post
...All I can say is follow the guidance given and regardless where you travel within that jurisdication you should have an enjoyable and hassle free ride, unless the cop pulling you over simply wants to ooh and ahh over the vehicle. Ewen:
This is twice that you mention pulling over someone to "ooh and ahh". Is this a common practice? If so then I am sure that the CPC would be interested in this BS.
Old 08-12-13, 21:15

I have been pulled over a couple of times when there has been no infraction. The first time was on the NY State Thruway and the trooper scared the crap out of me with all those pretty lights. I was driving my 55 Chev which I had just finished restoring and it turns out the trooper was in the process of restoring his. A half hour conversation later we parted ways, both richer by the meeting. He made my day by admiring my car and asking a lot of questions and I made his day by giving him a break from a pretty boring day on radar. The second stop was by the OPP, again with all those scary lights. I was driving my M1010 with the personalised plate "UGLY EH". When he approached the window I said I knew he wasn't stopping me for speeding!
He had seen the truck around and recognized the licence plate. It was a history lesson for him and a bit of an ego enhancer for me. Now he will be more understanding when he sees a CUCV screaming along the 401 at 80 KPH.
Barry

Every twenty minute job is one broken bolt away from a three day ordeal.
Old 08-12-13, 23:06

Default Arresting officer

Guys,

it happened to me twice in the last year.

I was driving along at Warp speed in my 1945 Ford GPW when i saw the lights in the sky.

Question : Was i going too fast officer ?

Answer : Oh no.

Are my convoy lights too bright ?

Answer : Oh no .

Question : Then what is it ?

Answer : Were are your doors ?

Young cops that had never seen a WW2 Jeep before.

I added : Have you ever seen a truck started with a handcrank ?

I proceeded then and there with the demonstration to the amazment of all concerned .

Cheerio !

94 LSVW
Old 09-12-13, 00:26

Default make me jump in my seat

It was just about two weeks ago that I was pulled over in my M-1031 CUCV on my way home from Petawawa after seeing my wife when she was put on alert for DART, ooh ahh , something about me pedaling as fast as I could to make our getting together for dinner , I made it in time and he was late with all those pretty lights , a good time was had over dinner, in 1992 Asbury and myself were pulled over headed for the Alcan , you guys are going so slow , by the way I have a half track , ooh ahh and on we went ,
Old 09-12-13, 01:26
carrier mech

Frank: Was that just outside of Saskatoon that you guys were stopped? I passed you guys with a DND wrecker that day coming back from Dundurn.
Old 09-12-13, 04:33

I remember we were north of Regina , we got in the night before and the temp dropped like a stone , I was worried about start up that morning , we went north then the snow started and I froze my ass off , then the RCMP Mustang pulled us over , thank god , he thought we were Mohawks from Oka going to a blockade north of Saskatoon , ooh aah , the wind was going through my CF parka, put my rain gear on then I started to get warm , dam it were are the arctic mitts , it was colder there than it was in the Yukon, it didn't seem to matter what direction we were going the wind was always a cross wind , so strong I was worried it would bust my inner windshield, then when we stopped I had a hard time standing still, like coming off a sailboat, the other cop was in Michigan I think,
Old 09-12-13, 04:35
carrier mech

That was the nice thing about living in the bottlenecks of Saskatchewan and now Manitoba. There are only two highways through, so I don't miss much in cross country movement.