MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 30-11-10, 03:55

Default Brains Trust Help - Vacuum Wipers

Gday Fellahs,

I hope this has been answered before on a previous thread, but I cant seem to find anything....

Are there kits for the original Blitz vacuum wiper motors?? Ive still got both the original motors and both are in pretty good nick.

Frustratingly, the motors appear to only have patent numbers and no part numbers.

They have Trico Made in the USA on them. The only number that I can distinguish from the others is the one above the line that reads "Canada 1923.26.27" Possibly a part number?? RE.16322

Ive run into brick walls with parts people - "no idea", "sorry cant help".
Attached Thumbnails
Wiper Motor 003.jpg   Wiper Motor Patents 01.jpg  
Old 30-11-10, 04:27

Default wiper motors....

Hi Tony,
Have looked into this myself and found that the military 3/4 ton Dodge wiper motors are very similar, if not exact replacements.
Also International Harvester Scout motors are also the same except for the manual wiper feature on them.
If rebuild kits are all you are after, this might help..
Thanks, David
Old 30-11-10, 04:42
carrier mech

I think Brian Asbury has rebuild kits, ot portions of the kits.

Personally, I have found that by cleaning up the wiper, and using a light synthetic grease on the paddles, the wipers work as good as new. I usually use Dow Corning DC55 o-ring lubricant, but any light grease would likely work as well. The reason I go with the synthetic is because they work on a wide range of temperatures. We go from -40C to +40 over the year.
Old 30-11-10, 04:56

Default Well done Fellahs

Knew I should have asked here before even bothering to go anywhere else.

Many thanks Rob and Dave.

I agree Rob I reckon these will probably work again quite easily with bit of a tidy up and grease. Great to hear this is confirmed by someone with rpevious experience.

David, have you got a contact number or Email for a business over your way who will send bits down under???
Old 30-11-10, 22:51

Default Cosmetic Restoration often the answer and RainX

Hi Tony

Is your problem that they don't work or cosmetic restoration? Next question is how often do you drive in the rain?

Reason I ask is that the standard/original 216 engine just doesn't have enough vacuum under load to make even brand new vacuum wipers work except when going down hill or with the engine at idle. I've cleaned and lubricated the units and concentrated on a cosmetic restoration of the originals.

What I have found that actually works is RainX really good on the reverse slope CMP windshields. Do both inside and outside of the glass really does work even in heavy rain.

The other fix is up engine to a 261 my C60S now has enough vacuum that the wipers work almost anytime up hill, down hill, on the flat etc.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 30-11-10, 23:33

Default Good Call Phil

Good point Phil........the answer to driving in the rain is not very often.

I do want to fix them though simply because it annoys me not having them working.

I did get caught on the trip to Batemans Bay where I had a deadline (Anzac Day) and simply had to take on about 2 hours of driving in the rain. Obviously the wipers did not work.

To get out of this jam. In desperation, Max told me the old trick that Model T owners use/d.

The trick was to cut a potatoe in half and rub the out side of the windscreen glass with the cut surface of the spud. This worked a treat. Simply did not allow the water to bead on the windscreen and I was able to see out of it easily.

Having said that, I'd still like to know a source for kits.
Old 01-12-10, 05:02
'40 Ford F8, 4 x 2

Default Vacuum Wipers

I've got an F8 and cleaned up and reassembled both wiper units only to find one did not work. Took it apart again and found that the "rocker" arm needed adjusting. It wouldn't close on one side so the other could open. I forget exactly what it needed but in any case it worked after I tinkered with it.

Not sure but Mac's in New York state may have some parts.

Regards,
Jim
Old 01-12-10, 08:05

Hi tony,my wipers work ok now after spraying CRC up the vacuum pipe and working it back and forward to lubricate ,work fine now,probably just dry.
Old 01-12-10, 14:10
Brian Asbury

Default CMP vacuum wiper motors

I do have NOS vacuum wiper motors that I service with the correct Trico grease to be sure they are working properly. (they have some flaking paint from loose storage and while there are left and right hand versions I only have one side - not a problem since it is just the direction of the rubber hose fitting). $70 each.
For the wiper motor enthusiast I do have the special Trico screwdriver for those odd screwheads that hold the all Trico motors together. $10. Plus a stock of NOS Trico wiper blades, arms and acorn nuts for the wiper arm. PM me for further enquiries
...... Brian
Old 01-12-10, 16:25

Brian,
For those of us in Ontario/Quebec, do you have enough of the screwdrivers that you will be likely to have some available for the OMVA winter swap (presumably February in Acton)? Or is this a special "act now or miss your chance" offer?
Thanks.
Old 02-12-10, 00:40
Brian Asbury

Default Trico screwdriver

Hi Grant,
I've saved you a screwdriver to deliver at the next show but the action has been swift on the others.
Thanks, Brian
Old 02-12-10, 02:16

Thank you.
Grant
Old 02-12-10, 02:46

Default Been a good boy.....

So can I get stuff for Xmas.....?

Hi Brian

Can I ask for two wipers, two arms, two nuts...... can pay now and pickup later.........

Back in my old Dodge days.... we use to take them apart....clean them... usually gummed up...... lightly lubricate with Vaseline petroleum jelly and they worked like new...... some US surplus suppliers still have Dodge wiper repair kits....

Bob
Canada
Old 02-12-10, 03:42
Brian Asbury

Default wiper parts

Hi Bob,
Will put aside and collect when I see you. Or I can drop them in the mail.
It must be raining all over the world; everyone want wiper motors and blades!
Thanks, Brian
Old 02-12-10, 12:04

Default Good news

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Carriere View Post

Back in my old Dodge days.... we use to take them apart....clean them... usually gummed up...... lightly lubricate with Vaseline petroleum jelly and they worked like new...... some US surplus suppliers still have Dodge wiper repair kits....

Bob
You'll be a good boy Bob just as soon as you divulge the names of these US surplus suppliers

Just for the record - I pulled em apart - greased them up - put em back together and put em back on the truck. Transferred the little vacuum outlet off my little Cab 13 to the 12 (where the advance is under the carbie) connected up the vacuum hose (which I got from Mac's) and Viola! They worked a treat.

I was suprised to find they were just about perfect inside - like new!

Bought a 6 foot roll of Vacuum hose. It was only just enough to reach one wiper motor. I'll have to get more.

Just on that subject. Where the hell is the vacuum line supposed to run on a Ford 12 Cab??? I'll take some pictures of what I've done but Ive got no idea if its the original way

Thanks to Ken, Jim and Brian & Boob for all the input to this thread. Its been a great help to me....
Old 02-12-10, 12:34
"Sid and Errol's Dad"

Smile Route

Tony the remnants of my vac supply: Steel pipe up the driver's A pillar & across the top, Rubber hose to the wiper motors. Pipe was cut off at the bottom RH corner of the windscreen area so how it continued on from there I do not know. Give Phil Furnell a ring & check out the one on his farm its cab is very original.
F15 #12
F15A #13 (stretched)
F60S #13
C15A #13 Wireless (incomplete)
Old 02-12-10, 20:25
Bluebell

Default Tony

I have some pictures of general interest. Various different types of Trico wiper motors.
In the first pic. Front British made (shield shape) second. the style that was on my 42 Dodge wc55. (the cover is the same shape top and bottom) 3rd Came from (I am told) a French 6x6 Dodge. Lastly the back one. Is this CMP?
This is a British kit, which only talks about the valve assy.
By the way the wwII vehicles only used the vacuum hose in short pieces. Rubber was hard to get The tubes were steel. on the Dodge the steel tees we formed with alloy castings.
Attached Thumbnails
Dec 2  2010 014.jpg   Dec 2  2010 008.jpg   Dec 2  2010 009.jpg   Dec 2  2010 012.jpg   Dec 2  2010 017.jpg  

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 02-12-10, 23:33

Default Spot on

Thats the one Lynn.

The two motors on my truck look exactly like that last one you suspected was a CMP wiper motor.

Drooling over that kit. Look at all the goodies in there!!!

Thanks H, I'll pop up later and have a look. Didnt realise your beast had that set up still on it.
Old 03-12-10, 03:06

Default Repair kit source.....

I use to by a lot form A B Linn in North Carolina...

...... but.... with recent regulations/penalties a lot of surplus vendors will NO longer ship outside the USA or ... in my case I maintain a USA post office across the upper New York state border.... but since my bank account address is Canadian will not even allow me to bid on Ebay anymore....

Solution to this..... if I really needed something I would ask Phil in New Hampshire to bid for me and remail to my address..... sneaky.

Dirk use to have some NOS wiper motors..... not sure if he is stil listing them.

Comment about the rain referred to by Brian.... on Dec. 1st this year Ottawa had more rain than the record for the whole month of December...ever !!!

If the rain had been snow we would have had over 3 feet... at least we did not have to shovel it..

Bob
Canada
Old 04-12-10, 06:57

Default Update

Thanks Bob, I wonder wether they still have stuff - it would be handy to get the kits.

Ive embarked on a set up anyway that I think would be very close if not the same as the original.

Luckily a couple of the clamps that held the piping were still in on the truck when I pulled it apart to restore it.

I took a guess that the hole in the arch bar in front of the steering wheel may have been for wiper tube access. At any rate it is a practical access point.

I confess I only checked the drivers side motor when I bragged about them working and it has come back to bite me in the backside. The passenger side motor still does not work. Ive tested the vacuum to the motor and it is fine, so I must still have a blockage in there somewhere.

Anyway the drivers one works perfectly. Even returns to the correct rest point automatically when turned off.
Attached Thumbnails
Wiper set up 001.jpg   Wiper set up 002.jpg   Wiper set up 003.jpg   Wiper set up 004.jpg  
Old 22-01-11, 21:53
Dutch member

Default Gasket

New in LwD shop: for "CMP" wiper motor, gasket.
See for prices our website www.lwdparts.com

Dirk
Attached Thumbnails
GasketWiperMotor.jpg  
Old 11-05-11, 18:56

Hi all

Just wondering if anyone knows and can post up the proper length for the 2 mounting screws that attach the wiper motor to the windscreen frame. Its going into a C15a Cab 13.

I know the dia. is 10-32 but just not sure on the length.

Thanks
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 12-05-11, 00:32

Default Did you think it was that simple

Hi Jordan

Sorry there are two different styles of mount Early and Late. So the result is a real mix and match.

Picture below shows both early on top is Cab 13 1942 which has four screws all a little over 1/2" the two outer attach the wiper motor to the a separate mounting plate the has the bearing tube that goes through the windshield frame. This plate is in turn screwed to the bracket that is mounted on the windshield frame.

The bottom picture shows the later Cab 13 1945 vintage which uses only the two outer bolts holes on the plate which also has the separate mounting plate the has the bearing tube that goes through the windshield frame. But in this case the mount on the windshield is drilled for the outer holes to line up, saving two screws.

I think I ended up using 3/4 screws and cutting them to length but 1/2 I think will work.

Cheers Phil
Attached Thumbnails
mis 010.jpg  
`45 HUP
Old 12-05-11, 07:49

Default What Phil said

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Baker View Post
Hi all

Just wondering if anyone knows and can post up the proper length for the 2 mounting screws that attach the wiper motor to the windscreen frame. Its going into a C15a Cab 13.

I know the dia. is 10-32 but just not sure on the length.

Thanks
I realise your probably wanting the exact original screw Jordan, but I also did what Phil has done....found a screw with the right thread then cut it length ways to suit.

With a hacksaw and then cleaned up the end of the thread with a die..

BY the way the Vacuum wipers work well....just got to lift off the accelerator every now and again slightly....all part of the fun
Old 13-05-11, 11:37
rwprince

Did you try Ross Prince WWII Truck Parts in Queensland? I know he has NOS wiper kits for the Dodge WC's. Might be the same....worth a try anyway.
Old 13-05-11, 15:02

Some time ago, I got a pair of M151 Mutt vacuum wipers off e-bay, brand new in boxes. They fitted up fine to the Blitz windscreen, but I also had to buy MUTT wiper arms to match as they are splined, not retained with a nut like the Blitz. These then accept the standard Trico blades of various widths.

It seems a lot of surplus sellers won't ship out of the US these days (and get cranky if you ask!), it might be a matter of searching until you find one that will, or a helpful address within the US to relay your purchase.

EDIT: A-ha! Here's one that will ship worldwide. A bit more pricey, but if that's all that's available??
Old 13-05-11, 15:14
Kostas

Quote:
Originally Posted by local chap View Post
Some time ago, i got a pair of m151 mutt vacuum wipers off e-bay, brand new in boxes. They fitted up fine to the blitz windscreen, but i also had to buy MUTT wiper arms...
Do you have a photo of the M151 wiper fitted on your Blitz windscreen?

..and does this work properly?
1940 NORTON 16H (project waiting)
Old 14-05-11, 03:46

Default slow moving wipers

Just a question for those with 216 engines(Phil ??) Many years ago I co-owned a 3 ton Chev wrecker with a 216 engine. It had slow wipers and the vacuum assist brakes. I seem to recall that we were able to install a vacuum reservoir with a one way valve that would hold some additional capacity of vacuum which helped both the wipers and the brakes. Anybody tried this??
Old 14-05-11, 13:31

Default Yes vacuum reserve tanks work some what

Hi Bob

Yes vacuum accumulators or reserve tanks work to a some extent, but it really depends on how much of the throttle you have to use to drive the truck. With my HUP the vacuum wipers work pretty well when I lift my foot or go to down shift, and because most of the time you drive that truck at about half throttle the wipers work. On my big C60S with the radio box when it had its original 216 engine the normal driving throttle was all the way on the floor or off the peddle completely you can guess the results no wipers or wipers.

I tried an accumulator can about 4 gallons, with a one way valve in line to the wipers the problem is how quickly you can store the vacuum and how quickly you us it. Connect the tank with the normal 1/4 inch line it really didn't work well. Connect the tank to the manifold through the 1/2 power brake port and the tank would work OK but not great.

I had the 4 gallon mounted on the C60S for a number of years for another purpose, I ran a small line 1/8 to the bottom of the clutch housing to scavenge the oil that leaked from the rear main. You could here this little hiss or slurping sound after you parked the truck which would last for several moments.

The best thing I've found is RainX with the reverse slope windshield it works better than the wipers do.

Cheers Phil

PS Changing to a 261 engine also works plenty vacuum.

Related Thread http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6896
`45 HUP

Last edited by Phil Waterman; 14-05-11 at 13:42. Reason: Add information
Old 15-05-11, 04:14

Thanks for the info on the lenght needed.
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer