MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 29-04-11, 15:15

Default Desert Raiders

Following on from CMPs in sand, LRDG Jeep as requested by Tony, 1533 Chev just cos they are the dog's and No3. Does this prove Jeeps can't keep up with the old "Flathead"?
1 and 2 were taken at the same place as the F60 photos, a sand pit in Norfolk.
Old 30-04-11, 03:58
Tony VAN RHODA

HI Paul

Fantastic photos. looks like you guys have a lot of fun. Vehicles turned out beautifully, I think my 1942 Willys Jeep would not look out of place, apart from the Ausie unit tac plates. I have attached photos of my jeep.

Cheers

Tony
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01868.jpg   DSC01870.jpg  

Last edited by Hanno Spoelstra; 01-05-11 at 09:26. Reason: formatting
Old 30-04-11, 18:29

Default Jeep

Thanks Tony,
I think your workshop is as clean as your Jeep. Mine has A nearly complete F30 in it, dozens of spares and tools everywhere. When the truck is finished, we clean it all out and start on the next project. That will be my 1943 Ford Jeep. I am planning an exact copy of one used by a friend when he was a patrol acommander in SAS during the war. Unfortunately he died before I could even get started, but his family are very pleased about the whole idea and one of his drivers is in regular contact.
I'll put a photo up when current project is done, Paul.
Old 01-05-11, 00:56
Tony VAN RHODA

Default Next project

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul Lincoln View Post
Thanks Tony,
I think your workshop is as clean as your Jeep. Mine has A nearly complete F30 in it, dozens of spares and tools everywhere. When the truck is finished, we clean it all out and start on the next project. That will be my 1943 Ford Jeep. I am planning an exact copy of one used by a friend when he was a patrol acommander in SAS during the war. Unfortunately he died before I could even get started, but his family are very pleased about the whole idea and one of his drivers is in regular contact.
I'll put a photo up when current project is done, Paul.
Hi Paul

Thanks for your kind comment, I assure you there were times when restoring the Jeep that I had to wade through bits and parts everywhere, but as soon as I started to put her back together life was easier. Due to space restrictions in my garage the purchase of a set of wheel dollies was the best investment I made, it was so easy to move the jeep around the garage.

Your new Ford Jeep project sounds interesting and to replicate a jeep to one actually used by a friend would be terrific. Just to have had the opportunity to speak to someone who was actually there would be fantastic. Are you part of a large group of restorers involved in LRDG vehicles.

I have a mate who is also looking at doing up a Jeep as a LRDG vehicle and then there would be two of us in our association, ("Military Vehicles Conservation Group".) in desert colours. There are a few others scattered around Australia who have restored vehicles to LRDG standards, but so far I have only met one restorer in Victoria.

Keep up the good work and I look forward to hearing and seeing more of your vehicles and group activities.

Cheers

Tony
Old 03-05-11, 06:41

Hi Paul

Would you have any original LRDG Jeep photos you can post here

heres a couple of pics of my project in progress

Thanks

Dave

1941 3" Mortar Carrier
1941 Ford F30 LRDG Replica
1942 Ford F15A
1942 NZ Pattern Wheeled Carrier
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1003.JPG   IMG_1002.JPG  

Last edited by David Hardway; 03-05-11 at 06:42. Reason: Missing info
Old 03-05-11, 13:13
warren brown

Hi everyone, I'm new to posting pictures here. Little Joe, your jeep looks great, as do all the LRDG - SAS vehicles on this link - this is my SAS jeep, one which I finished in 2002 - winning best restored at the 2003 AMVCS annual awards. It's been hidden away in storage until about two months ago when my brother and I dragged it out of a chook shed. The following photos show my little bloke Oliver - a jeep fan like no other - helping to bring the old Willys back to the land of the living.

Click image for larger version

Name:	sas jeep 2.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	41472
Attached Thumbnails
sas jeep 1.jpg  
Ford GPW
Old 03-05-11, 15:49
Tony VAN RHODA

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren brown View Post
Hi everyone, I'm new to posting pictures here. Little Joe, your jeep looks great, as do all the LRDG - SAS vehicles on this link - this is my SAS jeep, one which I finished in 2002 - winning best restored at the 2003 AMVCS annual awards. It's been hidden away in storage until about two months ago when my brother and I dragged it out of a chook shed. The following photos show my little bloke Oliver - a jeep fan like no other - helping to bring the old Willys back to the land of the living.

Attachment 41472
Warren

Nice looking vehicle, pretty good after being stored in the chook shed. Nice to see little Oliver getting an early start into our great hobby, Good to see more Desert coloured LRDG jeeps around, they certainly stand out from all those OD coloured jeeps.

Cheers

Tony
Old 03-05-11, 22:35
warren brown

Thanks Little Joe - here are some photos of the jeep in a shed way down the back of a mate's property where it had been tarped up for about five years. It was all about space, or lack therof, and there were things hidden away all over the place until I finally managed to get a decent shed of my own. When my brother and i 'unwrapped' it in January, the jeep had suffered little to no deterioration at all. Once at its new home - changed the oil, cleaned up all the electrical connections, fresh water, battery fuel - and away it went! Stopping was another matter - I'm working on the brakes at the moment - but it's great to have it back...
Attached Thumbnails
sas jeep shed 1.jpg   sas jeep shed 2.jpg   sas jeep shed 3.jpg  
Ford GPW
Old 03-05-11, 22:53

Quote:

Attachment 41472
Hi Warren,

Jeep looks good despite the long time out of use. Oliver is a lucky boy with all the big toys he has to play with !

best regards, Richard

1943 Bedford QLD lorry - 1941 BSA WM20 m/cycle - 1943 Daimler Scout Car Mk2
Member of MVT, IMPS, MVG of NSW, KVE and AMVCS
KVE President & KVE News Editor
Old 03-05-11, 23:36
warren brown

Thanks Richard - (and thanks for the photos re the vehicle run!) The jeep is still sporting the sun-compass you found for it years ago. BTW - I've seen a photo of an SAS/LRDG jeep at Corowa a couple of years ago fitted with Vickers K machine guns. While I'm aware of the legal responsibilities and registration requirements of displaying and storing these sorts of things in Australia - does anyone know of the path you would take to legally obtain deactivated or replica Vickers K's here? Cheers Warren.
Ford GPW
Old 03-05-11, 23:45

Quote:
Thanks Richard - (and thanks for the photos re the vehicle run!) The jeep is still sporting the sun-compass you found for it years ago.
Hi Warren,

The jeep would fit just fine in the back of the C60X for its trip to Corowa next year

Old 03-05-11, 23:57
warren brown

Now there's an idea! Will you be here for Corowa next year?
Ford GPW
Old 04-05-11, 00:16

Quote:
Now there's an idea! Will you be here for Corowa next year?
I am planning to be coming back there

Old 04-05-11, 02:16
Tony VAN RHODA

Default Jeep storage

Warren

Thanks for posting the photos of the "Chook Shed" where you stored your Jeep it does not any worse for wear or showing any deteriation after a long time in storage.

Yes mate brakes are a problem, when I purched my Jeep for restoration it had been stored on a farm for 15 years and the brakes were non existant and I had to use a hammer to loosen the linings from the drum. I paid top dollar for a complete new brake system and it is well worth it.

I look forward to seeing you and your Jeep in Corowa next year, unfortunately I could not make it this year as restoration was not yet finalised. Good luck it is a great hobby.

Cheers

Tony
Old 04-05-11, 09:32
Rick Cove

Warren and Tony,
You don't need a vehicle to enjoy the Corowa Swim-In. We had plenty of entries from people without vehicles this year. Everyone had a great time. So, if your vehicle is not finished, come anyway and have fun.

Rick
President KVE.Inc.
1940 F30S Cab11
1940 Chev WA LRDG "Te Hai"
1941 F60L Cab12
1943 Ford Lynx
1942 Bren Gun Carrier VR no.2250
Humber FV1601A
Saracen Mk1(?)
25pdr. 1940 Weir No.266
25pdr. Australian Short No.185 (?)
KVE Member.
Old 04-05-11, 10:50
Tony VAN RHODA

Default Corowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynx42 View Post
Warren and Tony,
You don't need a vehicle to enjoy the Corowa Swim-In. We had plenty of entries from people without vehicles this year. Everyone had a great time. So, if your vehicle is not finished, come anyway and have fun.

Rick
President KVE.Inc.
Rick

You are 100% right, I did seriously consider going without the vehicle and I know I should have gone even though I don't know many people and am new to restoration of military vehicles. 2012 I will be there for sure, I have already bought the tent.

Cheers

Tony