MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 08-11-15, 07:59

Default Canada Manufacture 1942 3 ton Dodge Truck T110-L-5

Hi all,
This is my first post of a new thread but I have some questions, firstly can anyone tell me what was mounted on that three hole round shadow on the bulkhead above the windscreen. This is a restoration so would greatly appreciate any advice
Old 08-11-15, 10:19

Smile

a photo would be a good way for anyone to actually see what you are inquiring about.

welcome to the forum by the way

"and on the 8th day he made trucks so that man, made on the 7th day, had shelter when woman threw him out for the night"
MrRoo says "TRUCKS ROOLE"
Old 08-11-15, 13:47

I'm not a Dodge expert so don't know your answer off the top of my head. Should I be looking for interior or exterior photos to try to find an answer for you?
If you were trying to include a photo to show us the puzzle, perhaps this guide on adding photos will help. http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19
Your location shows as "China", is it possible that it was a piece of equipment used by the military in the China theatre or something added for use in China post-war that would have been there long enough for the shadow to fade/form in the paint (or do you mean that there is no paint where the object was located)?
Old 09-11-15, 01:41

Default Vacuum operated Windshield wipers.....

??????????????????
Canada
Old 09-11-15, 02:30

Great to get your feedback and sorry I thought I had included a photo but will try again this time. Once again greatly appreciate your input. This vehicle I am told saw active service in Egypt as a convoy truck before returning to Australia. Hopefully I have the photo included now. Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2160.jpg  
Old 09-11-15, 04:43
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default visor

Could be where a sun visor was mounted ?
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 09-11-15, 06:06
Rick Cove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kelly View Post
Could be where a sun visor was mounted ?
I agree with Mike. The sun visor.

Welcome to MLU. Paul. You will get plenty of help here.

How about some photos of your Dodge as there are not too many being restored.

Rick.
1940 F30S Cab11
1940 Chev WA LRDG "Te Hai"
1941 F60L Cab12
1943 Ford Lynx
1942 Bren Gun Carrier VR no.2250
Humber FV1601A
Saracen Mk1(?)
25pdr. 1940 Weir No.266
25pdr. Australian Short No.185 (?)
KVE Member.

Last edited by lynx42; 09-11-15 at 06:14.
Old 09-11-15, 07:01

Agree: sun visor: a military requirement in Australian vehicles, and the round base with three screws is characteristic of the s/v base mount.

However, if it was in Egypt, it must have been acquired in theatre - the AIF did not take/send Dodge vehicles to Egypt - so acquired from a British contract, perhaps? Can you tell us the story about the Egypt angle as far as you know it, please.

So are you really based in China?

Mike
Old 09-11-15, 07:23

Smile

I agree - sunvisor.

Photos and details of the data plate including serial numbers would be appreciated as well please

"and on the 8th day he made trucks so that man, made on the 7th day, had shelter when woman threw him out for the night"
Old 11-11-15, 04:47

Hi All, really great to get your feedback on this and appreciate the camaraderie here. Don't know much about its history of this truck other than about 100 of these trucks came back to Australia after the war where certain military parts where removed and the tray altered for domestic us and then sold to farmers.
I am only in China for work as my heart is back in Aust as nothing better than a Saturday afternoon in the shed.
Note that the tyres on this are the original 10.5 x 16 1942 big ribs used for desert application. Too perished to drive but gives a good indication to its originality.
Attached Thumbnails
1770h5i_20.jpg   6123fja_20.jpg  
Old 11-11-15, 05:34

Hi Paul,

Very nice straight example. Nice find indeed. There is a companion to this truck (same number block) in the AWM collection in Canberra (but I cannot locate the entry for it on-line).

s/n 91024778 is almost certainly somewhere in the Army registration number block from 120801 to 121834. I've got all manner of s/ns around it (including 91024780), but have not got that particular s/n listed.

The truck is a standard T110L fitted with 10.50x16 chevron pattern bar tread tyres which were a general use military tyre and not peculiar to desert applications. It was assembled in Australia - it has the Australian timber tray body and POW can boxes, and Aust Army pressed steel (two piece) roof hatch with top-hat section grab handles rail, and the cab fittings for the .303 inch BREN LAAMG mount on the cab rear left corner. I suspect you'll find the fitting to stow the BREN in the cab, if not, then certainly the mounting holes. It' s also still fitted with CMP-type black out driving 'spots' on the lower edge of the front mudguards.

Altogether, a really, really nice example and appears from your images to be very original. So congrats!

When you are able and if you wish to, post the engine number and we'll see if it can be traced via that way. Otherwise, carefully sand off the rounded face of the bonnet & nose on each side: the reg number should be under that top-coat of paint, in white numerals about 3.5 inches in height.

Mike
Old 11-11-15, 07:35

Dear Mike, Seriously appreciate your input on this vehicle as it answers lots of questions for me but then opens up more!
Regarding the fittings on the outside of the cab, I have included a photo here which shows a gantry fitted into these. There are certain gun fittings within the cab but as I am not there at the moment to check will need to wait until I get back next month to check. I do have the engine number T110L14500C
which I am guessing is the original. As I am doing a rebuild on this motor can you tell me what should be the correct colour to paint this?
Also can you please tell me what are the "POW can boxes you mentioned?
Thank you again for your input, greatly appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
127793.jpg  
Old 11-11-15, 17:32

Hi Paul,

Found it by engine number. Your truck was registration number 120649 - so an earlier number block than I was looking in yesterday. Engine and chassis match what you have. Sold to Harden & Johnson at disposal. Sorry to have misled you in my earlier post but I did say 'almost certainly!

The only visible mod I can see on your truck is that the spare wheel box at the front of the traybody has been removed: a common mod by farmers to maximise the carrying space. You can see the open end of it under the canopy in the AWM image.

The 'POW' cans are the 2 gallon Petrol, Oil and Water cans that fit into the rack visible under the front left corner of the traybody. The vehicle would ordinarily be equipped at issue with four cans: one petrol, one oil and two water. The image you have from the AWM shows three of the four cans in place: the single water can is visible as a white can and it will have a black 'W' stenciled on the sides. Petrol and oil cans were green, with a white or black "P" or "O".

The Dodge experts will have to chime in here about the original engine colour - I don't have a clue. However, if your truck (Actually a "Lorries, 3 ton, GS (Aust)" to be clinically correct) still has the original engine fitted, what colour is it now and maybe what colour is visible under the top layers of paint?

I'm sure there are members in Australia who have multiple copies of the driver's handbook (there always seemed to be plenty around!) and could sell you one. If not, I have a spare but postage ex-USA is the killer.

Mike
Old 11-11-15, 22:29

Smile

Chrysler civilian production engines were always painted a light grey with fittings like generator, starter motor etc black.

I believe this to be true of these trucks as well.

The 'gantry' you mention is the bren AA mount

Old 12-11-15, 04:26

Default Engine paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff View Post
Chrysler civilian production engines were always painted a light grey with fittings like generator, starter motor etc black.
Pretty much right but needs an extra detail or two. The Chrysler engines were silver though to the end of the 1940 model series, but since this one is a 41-up series truck it would be light grey as you say, as follows;

Light grey

Engine block, cylinder head, bell housing, oil filler pipe, generator mount, waterpump and fan pulley, thermostat housing, crank pulley, manifolds, oil filter mount on head, Carter carb. airhorn, all engine sheet metal, gearbox except shift tower which is olive drab.

Satin black

Oil filter housing and bands, radiator fan, starter, generator, horn and horn bracket, air cleaner, engine breather/filler cap.

Red

Background colour for all distributor data plates and 6 volt electrical data plates.

Crinkle black

Generator regulator cover
Old 12-11-15, 07:42

Dear Sirs, I am deeply indebted to all of you gentlemen for this information as it is absolutely stunning to find out so much. Even though this truck is in pretty good shape I am still going to have to spend a fair amount of time and money on it to get it back to its original glory, so might as well get it right from the beginning.
One more question if I may, note the shadow on the firewall below and to the left of the regulator. I have noticed this is the same on other trucks I have seen of this vintage which also had the same brackets poorly welded to the firewall as though something was done in the field.
I thought maybe Cyclonic air filter but is a long way from the carby, a bracket for spare oil can maybe? There are no other holes in the firewall nearby.
As always most interested and grateful for your input.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2158.jpg  
Old 12-11-15, 09:54
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Driver's handbook

I can certainly help you with a driver handbook for this vehicle.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 12-11-15, 17:11

Default Aim of braket

Hello

Some years ago I owned a CANADIAN DODGE T110 D60 L5 and the twice brackets were used to support a water tank for the overflow of the radiator. In addition you can see two holes on each side of your yellow area. They were used to fix a link at the middle of these tank

Regards Serge
Old 12-11-15, 18:52

About 3 days left - Dodge T110L5 Driver's Handbook (1943) on Ebay (see the truck's mark on second sample image there):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/70-page-Dr...IAAOSw5ZBWP4DQ

[I have not any connections with this seller.]
Old 12-11-15, 20:05
Bluebell

I will add to Gordons list that the Generator and regulator id plates (Autolite) are red for 6 volt and green for 12 volt.

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 13-11-15, 01:33

Dear All, Thank you very much for the valuable feedback.
A question on these hard to get items I am missing like interior sunvisor etc, where do you recommend to get these hard to get parts, on ebay or local swapmeets?
Old 13-11-15, 02:26

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Westbrook View Post
Dear All, Thank you very much for the valuable feedback.
A question on these hard to get items I am missing like interior sunvisor etc, where do you recommend to get these hard to get parts, on ebay or local swapmeets?
Look at every place that may have them! Once word gets around on the type of truck you have and the parts you need you will be amazed what comes out of the woodwork.

Keith Webb has the correct drivers handbook you need. The other one mentioned above is for English trucks. I have yet to see a workshop or parts manual for these Dodges but am sure they are around.

PS> I am jealous, very Jealous of this truck

Old 16-11-15, 02:38

Hi Cliff,
Appreciate your comments on my truck, if you are ever in South Australia be sure to look me up will be glad to meet up.
Cheers!
Paul