MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Carrier Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   How to transport a carrier (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=21660)

jeff davis 15-02-14 00:39

How to transport a carrier

1 Attachment(s)
Pick up my carrier and moved it to the farm

gordon 15-02-14 17:37

I believe ....

... that a common skip truck is absolutely ideal for that, and not usually as pricey as a crane either.

jeff davis 15-02-14 17:42

Crane

Hiab crane truck 60 bucks an hour or free if you work for the company

jeff davis 15-02-14 17:53

Hiab

1 Attachment(s)
Never burn bridges when moving on to a new job

gordon 15-02-14 17:58

That's more than capable

Anyone actually use a skip truck, or any other form of Carrier transporter we might learn from?

I've seen some carriers struggle to drive onto transporters or trailers over the years.

jeff davis 15-02-14 18:02

Skip Truck

Skip Truck I imagine is a roll back or flat bed tow truck.?

Richard Farrant 15-02-14 18:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by gordon (Post 191812)
Anyone actually use a skip truck, or any other form of Carrier transporter we might learn from?

I've seen some carriers struggle to drive onto transporters or trailers over the years.

I have a friend who once had a Brockway Bridge Erector, which was the forerunner of the skip truck, in operation. He used it to carry his Weasel.

gordon 15-02-14 18:41

Skip Truck

Used to carry - skips, for scrap, rubbish or recycling. These skips are pretty much the size of a carrier with a four point lift from the top edge.

Big horizontal bar across the top, one hydraulic cylinder each side, four chains dangling down from the bar.

eddy8men 15-02-14 20:00

i used a skip wagon to move my t16 from my yard and cross loaded it onto my flatbed 4 tonner. worked a treat

rick

Ron Pier 15-02-14 20:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Farrant (Post 191814)
I have a friend who once had a Brockway Bridge Erector, which was the forerunner of the skip truck, in operation. He used it to carry his Weasel.

That must be Pip by Paultons Park.......They say it's a HOOT!
Ron

Richard Farrant 15-02-14 20:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Pier (Post 191825)
That must be Pip by Paultons Park.......They say it's a HOOT!
Ron

Correct Ron! But both vehicles long since gone.

Ron Pier 15-02-14 20:34

I used to call in on Pip regularly on any trip from Poole through the Forest. But must admit I haven't stopped by for 3-4 years now. Ron

Marc van Aalderen 16-02-14 09:53

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Hi, This is how I transport my vehicles. Carrier has no problems what so ever to climb the ramps even with the added weight of the 6 pr. The gun weighs in at 1150 kilo's.

Attachment 63533 Attachment 63534

Cheers,

Dianaa 16-02-14 13:00

The issues with carriers and trucks/ramps is when the ramps and deck are steel. A rubber mat on the deck will solve the steel deck issue and either rubber fixed to the ramps or hardwood inserts on the ramps.

The biggest problem we've had loading a carrier onto an Army 20 Ton plant trailer was when loading on a sloped parking lot without a direct run at the ramps. The carier kept slipping down hill till it was right on the edge of the deck.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...oka2010002.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...oka2010001.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...20121014_4.jpg

RichardT10829 16-02-14 13:06

From what I have seen of folk at various events... They only run into problems when they are not being commanded from someone outside the vehicle, or the surface terrain is not appropriate. And finally one vehicle being pushed on by another which is not suitable for the job....

I look forward to the fun and games with my carrier

Jordan Baker 16-02-14 13:42

Easiest way I hbe ever used is a flatbed tow truck. Drop the ramp down to load. Drive up to the ramp and park the carrier just onto the end. Then use the winch to pull it up. The deck gets leveled out again. Use big hooks and just hook onto the rear axle of the carrier. Winch the carrier till the chains are tight at the back and the nose is pulled down. Then cross chain at the the front. Voila loaded and secured within 15min.

Robin Craig 16-02-14 18:25

2 Attachment(s)
I feel compelled to chime in here. If it saves one life then it is worth it.

I have been involved in trucking heavy equipment and MVs for a while now.

I have learned a lot of lessons.

The biggest lessons are:-

1 Steel tracks on any kind of metal surface is a recipe for a Darwin award.

2. Loading with haste is a recipe for a Darwin award. Its easy to arrive first, at the cemetery.

3. Loading without a mate or ground guide is to be avoided.

4. Trust your spidey senses, if it doesn't feel right then get out and check again.

We have bull dozers and excavators and tracked MVs. Honestly, if you are new to carriers they will bite you large if you don't watch out. There was a well known carrier neath death incident that another forum participant recalls differently so I wont drag that one out again but I was a direct witness and I saw death coming fast.

We use old snow mobile tracks as an interface and never load without them, period.

Pushing anything uphill is obviously fraught with danger. Pulling under control is the preferred method. Massive overkill in hardware is always my desire.

Shown here is an excavator loading a carrier going off the property and a tilt and load recovering the same vehicle a few months before. It has been shown before, I realise.

R

Asbjørn 01-03-14 20:43

2 Attachment(s)
This is what I had to do to get enough room for the carrier and a M5 half-track. The carrier had no problems climbing the higher part of the trailer under it's own power.

eddy8men 01-03-14 23:54

I've had problems loading a carrier on a small plant trailer with steel ramps, and it slips and slides like it's on ice.
I also tried to load a centaur on a low loader with another tank pushing and it was an abortion from the start, luckily a fella from a nearby farm turned up with a 13 ton excavator and pushed it on in 10 minutes under control and safely.

you live and learn

rick

RichardT10829 02-03-14 11:20

Asbjorn, not sure I would be happy about my carrier being loaded like that, there being a large load isolated over a few pins, for a fair duration.... Should have at least put something under the track to spread the load (in my humble opinion of course)

Hanno Spoelstra 02-03-14 14:41

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Here's a variation on a theme. Dirk is in the skip business, you can see he used one for the Loyd. First when it was little more than rubbish, really:
Attachment 63851

But also a useful means of transportation after it was restored:
Attachment 63852

Picture source: http://www.mapleleafup.net/vehicles/carriers/loyd2.html

H.