View Single Post
Old 10-08-17, 13:15
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Reed View Post
Hi Mike,

Attached is the 3 bolt divers helmet distributor to a crab distributor adaptor plate I mentioned.

Looking at it, and the description, a cam button spacer is needed for some stock shallow cam noses.

So perhaps the other way to use an earlier distributor on a post war engine and vice versa is to also change the timing gear cover. Again, I am not sure if this is possible so perhaps another person can enlighten us. I agree, I don't know why one would want to use a divers helmet distributor as opposed to a crab distributor on a later engine but nothing surprises me when it comes to the old engines!

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Flathe...olt,25076.html
The Ford Manuals describe the method to interchange the "Diver's Helmet" and "Crab" distributors. The two timing covers are interchangable, and are the same height from the block to the dizzy mounting surface. 18-6019B has the 3 bolt mounting pattern for the Divers Helmet (and earlier) distributors, and 21A6019 has the 2 bolt pattern for the Crab, the '46-on and the Thames/Lucas styles.

The Camshafts however, are different. A long cam is used with short drive key of the 3 bolt dizzy's, and a short cam with the longer drive key of the 2 bolt style. If you need to fit a "Short" 3 bolt dizzy to a "Short" cam, in addition to swapping the timing cover there is a Ford spacer. If you are fitting a "Long" Crab dizzy to an earlier "Long" cam, then the Speedway style spacer will provide the additional length.

This might be necessary in wartime if you are maintaining a fleet of LP2 Carriers or MCP trucks with the Divers Helmet dizzys, and a replacement engine of the Crab style is supplied. To maintain commonality, you might want to replace the Crab with a Divers Helmet?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7234.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	93002 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7238.JPG
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	93006

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7235.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	253.2 KB
ID:	93003 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7236.JPG
Size:	179.1 KB
ID:	93004 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7237.JPG
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	93005

Last edited by Tony Smith; 10-08-17 at 23:06.