View Single Post
Old 12-08-17, 09:14
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Nicholson View Post
Hey guys! Just thought I'd start this thread with: "Can anyone help me with the identification of my ford v8?"

Serial number D363:1 K

Pretty sure it is not the original engine?

More info and pics to follow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Smith
Any progress on finding a stamped engine number, not a casting number?
That number cast into the bellhousing is not the engine serial number or model, it is either a date code or a lot number for the block casting. I have a couple of engines here with similar numbers (Pic attached of "F641"), but have not yet found a way to decipher the codes. You might find the engine model number, 99A, cast near the top of the RH water pump. I've never seen it cast on the bellhousing part of the engine like the US and post-war Canadian examples. As mentioned, the majority of online sources of ID info for the Ford V8 is based on US production, and very little on Canadian WW2 engines.

The engine serial number will be stamped on either one of the 4 available corners of the valley cover mounting flat (or maybe not at all), or on the gearbox bellhousing. See THIS THREAD for an example.

While your engine does have a single row pulley RH water pump, I can also see that it has a double row crank pulley, so I would be willing to gamble that it is still possibly the original engine, or at least the correct truck type, and that someone in the mists of time has replaced that water pump with a cheaper and more easily obtained car pump.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7242.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	93066 Name:  IMG_0696-2.JPG
Views: 372
Size:  40.1 KB

Last edited by Tony Smith; 12-08-17 at 09:20.