View Single Post
Old 09-09-14, 11:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra View Post
Moved your posting to this thread if you don't mind. Scout Car looks excellent as it is! 98% finished is a heap more than my truck, but the important thing is that they are there
Hanno

Thanks - dont mind at all - would have put it here myself if I'd realised the thread was here!

Look forward to meeting loads of forum members on this trip - will be great to put faces to names.

Pic of the radio installation is here:

http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=22570

The vehicle is marked up to represent "A" Squadron of Phantom GHQ Liaison Regiment and whilst the census number is correct for the No 12 Patrol vehicle, we will represent the No 5 Patrol vehicle for this event.

The Phantom Patrols at the time of Market-Garden comprised 7 men in 1 x White Scout Car fitted with the WS9, 1 x Jeep fitted with the WS22, with a trailer with two motor cycles for individual patrol work.

We originally wanted to run a complete patrol, but the organisers didnt want to have any more Jeeps, so instead there are 5 of us in the Scout Car... which will be cosy!

Historical note...

Capt Denys Brook-Hart was commander of No 5 Patrol during Market-Garden and tasked with reaching Arnhem by road independently of anything 30 corps were doing - he got the whole patrol to Nijmegen, then left the WSC behind and travelled by Jeep to Driel where they were shelled by the Germans with 88mm's over open sights... when the radio and radio operator both broke, he drove back to Nijmegen to replace them, then returned to Driel to relay messages from the Phantom patrol in Oosterbeek back to HQ... for his part in Market Garden he was awarded the MC... his signaller however only got shell-shock.

I have copies of the Phantom Intelligence logs for the Market Garden operation - if you really want to know who was where and when, forget the history books which give you someone's interpretation of events and read the Phantom material... it is very detailed.

Tim