View Single Post
Old 10-05-21, 22:36
MLU Administrator

Hello Kevin!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinHann View Post
We have removed the body from our Q2 and we are still left wondering about what body would have been fitted. The chassis rails are very short and have a heavy duty fitted wartime towbar arrangement. We have rubbed the chassis down and can confirm it has not been cut down or welded at any position.
The towbar looks like a standard WD pintle hook as fitted to many British and Canadian W.D. trucks. The Tructor - see below - has a beefed up version compared to the one on your Commer.
Quote:
So, the options.

1. The GS truck chassis rails should extend at least 1 foot past the rear cross member, ours clearly does not do this. I notice in photos of Tomas truck his do extend much further than ours.
IIRC Thomas' truck was repurposed as a fire truck after the war, it could well be its chassis was lengthened.

The 30-cwt truck side view above shows the chassis is considerably shorter than the body.

Quote:
3. What about an aircraft towing tug? That would require the hefty towbar and a shortened body as to not cause any obstructions? I have seen photos of both normal control Fordsons and Bedfords being used in this capacity?
You mean like a Tructor? I don't think I have ever seen Commer trucks in that role.

Quote:
4. Are there any special bodies made in much smaller or one off situations for towing? Most RAF contracts are simply supplied as 'Cab and Chassis' so other bodies could be a possibility?
I am not aware of any other body types than listed in this thread.