MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > Military Shows & Events

Notices

Old 11-11-07, 04:28
Senior Forum Member

Default AAR - 2007 Annual Kangaroo Luncheon/Reunion

SUNRAY asked that I prepare and post an ‘AAR’ (After Action Report) in regards to the 2007 Annual Kangaroo Luncheon/Reunion: -

Saturday, 10 November 2007

Earlier today, my wife and I had the honour and privilege to have attended the Annual Kangaroo Luncheon/Reunion which was held in Toronto, Ontario. It was wonderful to be able to spend the afternoon with this fine body of men whom we and they refer to as 'Kangaroos'.

For these men who served with the 1st Canadian Armoured Carrier Regiment, C.A.C., their war ended 62 years ago, but to spend time with and talk with these 'Kangaroos' regarding their time spent within the ranks of the Regiment, whether it was in the beginning when an ad hoc unit of defrocked 'Priests' was brought together for Operation 'TOTALIZE' in August 1944, or still later with 1st Canadian Armoured Personnel Carrier Squadron, or finally with 1st Canadian Armoured Carrier Regiment, it was as if they were talking about yesterday. Although 62 years have passed and these men are well into their 80's and 90's, their memory of time served with 1 CACR and of those they served with, it was truly as if it were yesterday.

These very fine men, who gathered today, truly hold a unique place in the history of the Canadian Army, thousands of Canadian and British Infantrymen owe their lives to these men and their 'Tanks', as they themselves refer to either their 'Priest' or 'Ram' Kangaroo armoured personnel carriers. Although the number of original 'Kangaroos' is declining with each passing year, the concept of what brought this fine body of men together back in 1944, first as an ad hoc unit and then on a temporary basis (1 CAPC Sqn) until finally being 'stood up' as a Regiment and their subsequent deeds will never fade.

The photo below shows seven of these fine and unique veterans of the 1st Canadian Armoured Carrier Regiment, C.A.C., the youngest of who is 88 years of age, but you would never know it after having spent time with and talking to them, for them, the events of what they did in 1944-45, is still as clear as if were yesterday or only a couple of hours ago ......... the memory of the 'Kangaroos', nor their deeds, should ever be forgotten.

I will post more photos of today’s Annual Kangaroo Luncheon/Reunion tomorrow along with a report of the afternoon’s events.

To the men of the 1st Canadian Armoured Carrier Regiment, C.A.C., it was truly an honour and a privilege to spend the afternoon with you, on behalf of Denise and I, Thank You!
Attached Thumbnails
1 cacr vets.jpg  
Old 11-11-07, 16:15
Senior Forum Member

Post AAR - 2007 Annual Kangaroo Luncheon/Reunion

Also in attendance at yesterday's Annual Kangaroo Luncheon/Reunion were, from left to right:

Bill Miller Jr., the son of former Trooper Bill Miller Sr., 1 CACR.
Bill (Jr.) is currently working a new illustrated history of the 1st Canadian Armoured Carrier Regiment, due to be published in late 2008. Bill is also the webmaster of 'CANADIAN KANGAROOS.CA', a website dedicated to the memory and preservation of the history of the 1st Canadian Armoured Carrier Regiment, which can be found here.

Mark W. Tonner, the author of 'The Kangaroo in Canadian Service', a short history of both the 'Priest' and 'Ram' Kangaroo in Canadian service, and of 1 CACR itself, which was published in 2005.

Geoff Winnington-Ball, our very own SUNRAY of Maple Leaf Up and the webmaster of the 1st Canadian Armoured Carrier Regiment Association website, which can be found here

Hanno Spoelstra, from The Netherlands, is acknowledged as one of the foremost experts on the subject of the Sherman tank and variants (of which the 'Priest' and 'Ram' Kangaroo are two). He was instrumental in arranging the acquisition, restoration and dedication of the Ram Kangaroo Memorial at Mill, The Netherlands, in 1995, which now stands as a lasting memorial to the 1st Canadian Armoured Carrier Regiment.

Jon Skagfeld, who was introduced by the 'Chair' of the 1st Canadian Armoured Carrier Regiment Association at yesterday's event, as having come with me ....... unfortunately, Jon never left with me, so if any forum members happen to see or run into this ' OLD FART' in their travels, please direct him home .........

All five pictured below, along with Paul Roberts (not in photo?), are all members of the MLU Forum and all hold a keen interest in preserving the unique history of the 1st Canadian Armoured Carrier Regiment.

Paul himself, is currently working on a 1/35th scale diorama of 'Kangaroos' of 1 CACR 'debussing' Canadian Infantrymen going into the assault, which when complete, will in it's own right, stand as a lasting memorial to 1 CACR.
Attached Thumbnails
mlu crew.jpg  
Old 11-11-07, 17:33
Senior Forum Member

Another photo of the 'Kangaroos': -

- the gentleman seated 'A', is Lieutenant (Ret'd) Don(ald) Simpson, R.C.C.S., who commanded 1st Canadian Armoured Carrier Regiment Signal Troop, R.C. Sigs, from it's authorization on 24 October 1944, to the Troop's disbandment on 20 June 1945.

- the gentleman seated 'B', is Captain (Ret'd) 'Dunc' (Erskine) Duncan, R.C.E.M.E., who commanded the ad hoc Kangaroo Light Aid Detachment, R.C.E.M.E., which was redesignated No. 123 Light Aid Detachment (Type E), R.C.E.M.E., on 24 October 1944, from 7 August 1944 to May 1945.

Up until yesterday, ‘Dunc’ had been the ‘Chair’ of the 1 CACR Association, but having come from a R.C.E.M.E background and not that of the Canadian Armoured Corps, and feeling strongly about this, he passed on the chairmanship of the association to a younger (aged 88) fellow ‘Kangaroo’ (whose name escapes me at the moment), who was Canadian Armoured Corps and an original ‘Kangaroo’.

Even though both Don and ‘Dunc’ are both into their 90's now, ask them anything relating to either the Signal Troop or the LAD, respectively, and you’ll be surprised at the clear and exact answer you’ll receive in return.

As I mentioned earlier, as if it were yesterday.......
Attached Thumbnails
sigs o and oc 123 lad 2.jpg  
Old 11-11-07, 18:13
Senior Forum Member

Hanno presented a 1/35th scale model of a 'Ram' Kangaroo in the markings of 1 CACR as it would have appeared in late 1944 through 1945. The model itself was built by Alex van de Wetering, of The Netherlands, another MLU Forum member. This model was accepted on behalf of the Regiment by Trooper Art Bell, 1 CACR, who represented the Regiment at the dedication ceremony in 1995 of the Mill memorial to the 1st Canadian Armoured Carrier Regiment, in The Netherlands.

Pictured are Hanno Spoelstra and Trooper Art Bell, holding Alex's model of the 1 CACR 'Ram' Kangaroo.
Attached Thumbnails
ram model.jpg  
Old 11-11-07, 18:35
Senior Forum Member

Bill Miller presenting a presentation of photos that were taken by the late Corporal Grant Herbison, 1 CACR, an avid amateur photographer, who took many photos while serving with the Regiment and whose negatives, for which were turned over to Bill by the family for safe keeping on behalf of the Regiment.

Unfortunately I have to step out for a bit, so I'll continue this later...
Attached Thumbnails
bill photos.jpg  
Old 12-11-07, 01:12
Senior Forum Member

around the room during the course of the afternoon: -
Attached Thumbnails
around the room 1.jpg  
Old 12-11-07, 01:14
Senior Forum Member

around the room # 2: -
Attached Thumbnails
around the room 2.jpg  
Old 12-11-07, 01:16
Senior Forum Member

Hanno and 'Dunc' Duncan deep in conversation: -
Attached Thumbnails
around the room 3.jpg  
Old 12-11-07, 21:24
Senior Forum Member

A presentation to Hanno (centre) in appreciation of his work involving the ‘Ram’ Kangaroo memorial at Mill, The Netherlands and his on going interest in the history of 1 CACR.

On the left is Trooper Art Bell, 1 CACR, and on the right, Bill Miller (Jr.) . . . and No! , Bill didn’t pocket Hanno’s gift ......
Attached Thumbnails
token.jpg  
Old 12-11-07, 21:35
Senior Forum Member

Another photo from around the room .... SUNRAY is actually in this picture, but because Hanno is so bloody BIG !, you can't see him ..... SUNRAY is actually sitting beside him ......
Attached Images

Old 12-11-07, 21:43
Senior Forum Member

.... See !, I told you SUNRAY was there ... and No !, Jon isn't asleep, he was just trying to figure out his new digital camera or so he said
Attached Thumbnails
eat.jpg  
Old 12-11-07, 21:53
Senior Forum Member

Just for general interest, this is the memorial to the 1st Canadian Armoured Carrier Regiment, C.A.C., which is located at Mill, The Netherlands. This photo was taken in 2005.
Attached Images

Old 13-11-07, 01:20
Senior Forum Member

I would be remiss, if I didn’t mention that also in attendance was Ken(neth) Ramsden, a former officer of the Regiment and the author of ‘THE CANADIAN KANGAROOS IN WORLD WAR II’, which was published in 1997. Although Ken’s book is now out of print, it is the most comprehensive and detailed history of the 1st Canadian Armoured Carrier Regiment, published to date.

Although this event only lasted a few hours on Saturday afternoon, after the 2005 Annual Kangaroo Luncheon/Reunion, Geoff had wrote “for a brief few hours, the old men become the boys’ they once were”. This was very much the case this past weekend.

Many of the ‘Kangaroos’ are gone now and those that are left are in their late eighties and mid-nineties, but in those that are left, you can still see the pride they carry in knowing that they were members of a unique and proud Regiment, the likes of which we’ll probably never see again.

Lest We Forget
Old 13-11-07, 13:10
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Thanks Mark!

I was really happy to see you make it in from London again this year, and I'm sure the old lads share my appreciation of the support shown them! Thanks too for posting your comments and photographs above; I shall more to say shortly, and I know Bill, Hanno and Jon will have something to say and more pics coming soon!

Old 14-11-07, 11:13

Mark, Thanks for posting the report!

It is great to see the model in the hands of Art Bell. Great job to all of you guys making these reunions possible.

Alex

p.s. I am happy to see the model made it across the ocean in one piece
Old 16-11-07, 10:50
MLU Administrator

Mark, thanks for the write up!

I'll come back to this later.

Groet,
Hanno (a.k.a. bloody BIG ! Dutchman)
Old 19-11-07, 23:03
MLU Administrator

I have nothing much to add really, other than a couple of pictures.

Forum member and expert model builder Alex van de Wetering with his prize winning model. For those who are interested in the construction of this model, see Ram Kangaroo interior info wanted and follow the links posted.

Art back at home, enjoying his tank. I talked to Art on the phone yesterday, he told me "I already put a lot of miles on my tank!". I bet he is showing it to everyone who comes by and then some.

Regards,
Hanno
Old 28-12-07, 22:33
Vets Dottir 2nd

Default Re: AAR - 2007 Annual Kangaroo Luncheon/Reunion

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark W. Tonner
Also in attendance at yesterday's Annual Kangaroo Luncheon/Reunion were, from left to right:
Only ONE person in this photo have I NOT met in person as yet, HANNO!