MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Old 29-04-08, 07:11
Dave Good

Default M series winter camo

I have just added the winter camo sceme to my M37 and I was wondering if any one knows when it came out and was it for any paticular manuver? I would say that 95% of all of the M series vehicals I have come accross here in Alberta have this paint job.
Attached Thumbnails
176-7655_IMG.JPG   176-7680_IMG.JPG  
Old 29-04-08, 15:16
carrier mech

I'm not so sure that was a winter cam, but rather the standard cam pattern back in the late 60s and 70s.

I usually saw this paint job on the pre-74 vehicles, but I did see it on one or two of the M151A2s I bought. Most of the 3/4 tons sold around here had it. The white was usually a bit more of a sandy color, but it's hard to tell if that was fading or the color it came in.

When I was in the militia back in the late 70s, we had special white paint which you applied in the winter time, and was supposed to wash off with gasoline. This paint was around into the mid 80s, when it seemed to have disappeared. With the newer IRR paints of the 80s, I read a report where the designer talked about designing a new winter paint that could be washed off with a less volatile liquid, but never saw this product available.

We applied the paint on order from the troop sgt. At what level it originated is beyond me.

Interesting to note that on transition to the 5/4 ton, the cam pattern did not change from what you have on your 3/4 ton, with the exception that the 3 colors were flat green, olive drab, and black.
Old 29-04-08, 16:09
RIP

Super Dave,
I am looking for a good photo to use for the cover of a booklet on the 3/4-ton SMP. If you are interested can you send me some example photos? Ideally they should be similar to what youo have posyted here although 'portrait' mode is better than 'landscape' mode. It is also better if there is no licence plate other than an original DND version.
Feel free to PM me if you are interested.

Cheers,

Clive
Old 29-04-08, 17:06
a Canuck/Brit in Blighty

Hi Dave,

What paint colours did you use? I'm wanting to repaint my M152 that still has that camo scheme. I think Colin Stevens said he had the correct paint method at one time and that it was just c1970's camo.

Are you coming to Portland with us this year? You'll have to stop by. I've refinished the back of the 152 and working on the cab now. All the tables are finished and ready to install with the radio equipment.

Bruce
Old 30-04-08, 22:37
Dave Good

Thanks for the info rob. It is curious that they would use a off white, almond cream color for part of the paturn. I took in a part that had the almond cream color and had them match it up and it turned out pretty good all things consirdered. Clive I gave Reg hodgson a CD of all my M37 pictures in which I believe he said he will send you. If you require any more pictures of the one I added the camo paturn to let me know. Yes Bruce I will be going to the MVPA meet and will most likely drive my M37 with trailer to it. I was thinking of taking the M135 but with gas prices going up it would cost me around $275.00 a tank to fill and I have not won the lottery just yet. It will be nice to see the inside of your 152 so I can see what I have to do to mine.

Dave
Old 07-05-08, 09:24
Bruce McCann

Default Nice rig

I like your M37, interesting to see old WC rims on it, why is that ?

Anyway truck looks absolutely great & it's an inspiration for me too continue with mine.

Pictures of my M37 are here:
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...tion%20Images/

Bruce McCann
Old 08-05-08, 04:49
Dave Good

I used the combat rims with those tires as I take the truck on some long distance trips and if I get a flat I can repair it myself as it is hard to find tire shops that want to do any work on the split ring rims. Your unit looks like it is coming along quite nicely .