MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 24-11-06, 19:12

Default bends

Hello, you are looking at the bends of the arm of the shock absorber, but it looks to me the mountingstud on the axle is bend in one or the other way.

Greetings

Hendrik van Oorspronk
Willys MB
Austin K2 ATV
Welbike MK I
Volvo L475
Old 25-11-06, 02:32
Mr. HUP

Default Mounts

Hendrik,

This weekend I will be checking the location of the mounts and whether both mounts (left and right) are the same/interchangeable. It is highly unlikely that the lower mounts are bent - they are very solid and show no signs of abuse...but again, who knows with a HUP???
Old 25-11-06, 11:00

Default bend stud

Hello, as far as I can see from your pictures, the right on is pointing straight forward and the left one is pointing to the inside.
I think it is possible it is bend, or wrongly made. Because it looks when you aim the mounting point a bit to the left the rod will fit nice straight up along the spring, this is important because of the power reactions in the stud and the absorber.

Green greetings

Hendrik van Oo
Willys MB
Austin K2 ATV
Welbike MK I
Volvo L475
Old 03-12-06, 16:29
Mr. HUP

Default Re: Oooops.....Redux

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Carriere
Rob......

...look at the recent picture compared to the original picture you took before the disassembly...... your spring pad is reversed in the new set up compared to the original.....

Bob
Bob,

The driver side spring pad is positioned in the correct manner - there is no other way to attach it as the two inboard bolts and their holes are closer together than the two outboard bolts.

One could assume (that dreadful word) that the opposite side would be oriented inwards as well. Time will tell.

Grant and I didn't spend too much time on the HUP, other than making templates for the wheel wells and passenger kick plate on the front clip (all of which was attacked by the tin worm).

Most of the day was spent cleaning up the barn to make more space now that winter has arrived. Speaking of winter, did you get your new "wood stove" hooked up yet?
Old 13-12-06, 01:08
Mr. HUP

Default KNEE ACTION SHOCKING NEWS

This past weekend, Grant and I installed the Knee Action Shocks (KAS) on the HUP frame (again). We measured the distance from the tip of the lower link mounts and found no great difference. However, the passenger side KAS arm and the link mount on the axle did not line up exactly. Compounding this was the attached down link, which looks like it had been re-welded and offset. There is less than a quarter inch of play between the shaft of the down link and the spring mounting plate (regardless of how they are oriented), but it appears that this quarter inch will suffice. I may get another down link or reweld this one - time will tell. There may be a chance of rubbing if the springs are fully compressed to the point where the KAS runs out of upper movement play. After all the time and money I sunk into this truck, I doubt that I will be driving it hard enough to max out the springs/KAS.

After fiddling with the KAS issue, we made up two new brake lines for the rear axle, that is until I busted the quarter inch flare tool (good thing those things are warranted for life...). With work at a standstill, we set out to visit Bob.

The Duke of Hammond was busy playing with his new wood stove, but not too busy to recruit Grant and I to remove the old wood stove from his basement. We must have been weak from the lack of food, for that thing was heavy...after a hearty brunch at Chez Marie, we stopped in to visit our CMP parking lot to see how the collection was faring. It is nice having spare parts kicking around (for most of our trucks).

Next visit - drive shaft and brake line installation!
Old 14-12-06, 03:35
Greg Wright

Default Hip Ring Canvas

Hi Rob,

I thought you might like to see the sample of the hip ring canvas that I made. I hope it comes clear in the picture as it was hard to get the proper shape.

Cheers,
Greg
Attached Thumbnails
hip ring.jpg  
Old 14-12-06, 03:41
Greg Wright

Default Hip Ring Canvas

Hi Rob,

Here is another picture of it with the sides out.

Cheers,
Greg
Attached Thumbnails
hip ring 2.jpg  
Old 14-12-06, 04:02
Mr. HUP

Default Re: Hip Ring Canvas

Quote:
Originally posted by Greg
Hi Rob,

Here is another picture of it with the sides out.

Cheers,
Greg
Greg,

Looks good! I'll bring another (better) sample out for comparison.

For those who are wondering, this is a cover for one of the three hip pads inside the hip ring. The pads are canvas covered horse hair blocks glued onto a base and they are attached to the metal hip ring by means of two screws for each pad. The screws necessitate the wave pattern on the sides of the cover.

I should be out your way Greg next week on Thursday. Regards to the Mrs and kids!

Rob
Old 16-12-06, 17:27
Greg Wright

Default Canvas Parts

Hi Rob,

If you have any other samples of canvas parts that I would be able to use for patterns that would be great. I am going to pull a mud flap off of my truck and the seat bottom to use for patterns.

Cheers,
Greg
Old 18-12-06, 18:08
Mr. HUP

Default Re: Canvas Parts

Quote:
Originally posted by Greg
Hi Rob,

If you have any other samples of canvas parts that I would be able to use for patterns that would be great. I am going to pull a mud flap off of my truck and the seat bottom to use for patterns.

Cheers,
Greg
Greg, do you need a seat back cover for a pattern?
Old 18-12-06, 18:53
Mr. HUP

Default BRAKE LINES

The past weekend session (Saturday) was spent measuring and making up new brake lines (a number of times...). If you are new at this aspect of restoration and want to make your own brake lines, the following is offered for your consideration:

If you have a small replacement job, use off the shelf lines already made up with the fittings.

If you are planning a number of brake line replacements, buy a coil of tubing and a box of fittings.

Make sure you have the right tools and know how to use them. Once you get them - practice!

The old saying "measure twice, cut once" means something. For those brake lines with all the bends- don't use the old lines as your guide - they may have been stretched over time, or forced together and you won't necessarily get the right length. Get a piece of stiff wire and use it to form a guide by bending it accordingly from the wheel cylinder to the division block - cut off excess.

Measure the guide length using a string and transfer to the new tubing.

Cut the tubing and file down the outside lips. Gently ream the inside lips (blow out any shavings).

Use a bending tool (pliers type or spring tube) to make your initial bends (carefully).

Take the newly bent tubing to the truck and fit it. True up the bends (carefully) using the spring tube (remember bend a little at a time).

There are plenty of online resouces that can walk you thru the bending steps, but they all assume you have some experience doing this, so "make haste slowly" (it saves on rebending a second or third set of lines - Bob is still chuckling...).

Instead of trying to bend up the small pig tail like line (8 inches of curling hell that links the HUP master cylinder to the line that runs the rail etc...), replace it with a rubber brake hose. It will be out of sight anyway...

Once assembled - pressure test everything - twice. Your life will depend on your brakes! If in doubt - get a pro to make up your lines.

Last edited by RHClarke; 19-12-06 at 20:04.
Old 31-12-06, 23:55
Mr. HUP

Default Cold but Sunny

Grant, Bob and I spent our first real full day in a long time at the barn today. The dusting of snow made everything look clean and neat. Bob and Grant plugged away at Bob's tranny. After solving the assembly puzzle (using one Alex Blair manual as a guide) they finally got it buttoned up.

I continued my brakeline quest - turning eight feet of coiled line into small scraps (poor flares, too short, too long but not long enough to use, flattened bends, wrong bends etc...). BUT, the front axle now sports new brakelines, hoses and wheel cylinders. The rear axle will have to await another day.

We solved the mystery of the ill-fitting rear brakeline by taking the banjo bolts of my spare 43 HUP axle. They fit the wheel cylinder properly, where the new banjos went in hard. After measuring the thread, we found they were the same size as the old banjos, but somehow different enough...

Following the brake and tranny sessions, we cleaned up a bit. Bob tossed out my templates for my front clip metal repair job...and I thought I was going nuts trying to remember where I put my HUP stuff! Bob's idea of cleaning up is somewhat less discrimating than most...Fortunately, Bob remembered where he tossed the templates and we cut out fresh metal for the wheel wells and the passenger side kick plate. It is amazing what an air powered shear will do.

It was a good way to finish 2006 - with some actual progress. Next week, we will be spot welding some of the holes in the clip and welding in the new panels.

Bob, thanks for the use of the barn - it beats a snowbank anyday! Grant, thanks for the help, the common sense and good sense of humour.

Here's to more CMP fun in the New Year!
Old 01-01-07, 01:04

Default Nice to have company...

Got to chip in my 5 cents worth.....

Grant and I never knew how many small pieces of brake line Rob wasted until he carried out a bucket full.... we were toooo busy working at the other end of the barn by the furnace.......

Got up to 60 F at our end of the barn....... until we noticed there was a hole burne dup in the bottom stovepipe elbow.....thank God for a strong draft in the chimney we never got any smoke inside the barn..... first thing on Tuesday I am off to buy new stove pipe.

How warm was it in the barn...?? well Grant slapped a mosqito now knowing that it was the barn's mascotte...... sure beats working in the snow.

After over two hours and three assembly-dissambly we got the tranny redone.... new bearing and seals and a speedy sleeve on the yoke..... no joke!!!! Now we need to re-assemble the shift tower using the better parts of two units.

All in all a fitting end to 2006.

All the Best for the New Year to all in the CMP land.

BooB
Canada
Old 07-01-07, 01:52
Mr. HUP

Default Saturday At The Barn - Felt Like the 4th of July...

Almost! We hit 7 degrees C (about 48 degrees F) and had some showers thru the morning. But what a great day - weather and work (play) wise.

Bob and Grant joined me at the Hammond Barn for some quality HUP time. It seems Bob's intent is to learn from my mistakes so when he (finally) gets onto his truck, things will go a lot smoother...makes me wonder why he bought 25 feet of brake line??

Speaking of brakes, here are some shots of the nearly done HUP brake system - some minor bending still is required and a few clips need to be installed on the front diff. An interesting experience - we will see just how good my flares really are when we pressure it up.
Attached Thumbnails
brake one.jpg  
Old 07-01-07, 01:56
Mr. HUP

Default More Results

After finishing the brakes, we took on the front clip (nose). I got the clip from Brian Gough (many thanks) and generally it was in good shape less some Ontario tin worm damage around the light pots and a missing "chin" bar.

We took the chin bar off my beaten up HUP's original clip and welded it onto the "new" clip.
Attached Thumbnails
chin repair.jpg  
Old 07-01-07, 02:04
Mr. HUP

Default Light Pot Replacement

After lunch at Chez Marie, we chatted about what to do with the holes in the headlight panels. One side was like soda crackers, but the other seemed alright. Bob welded up the small holes - they will be dressed at a later date. The large holes were deemed too much hassle to weld, so enter original HUP panel!
Attached Thumbnails
holes.jpg  
Old 07-01-07, 02:10
Mr. HUP

Default Panel Replacement Redux

My old original HUP clip headlamp panel was the only unmangled piece on the whole clip. Coming from Manitoba, the panel was in fairly good shape - except for the holes drilled for snow plow lighting etc...

Bob, Grant and I drilled out the welds and removed the panel. We did the same to the damaged panel. Grant sandblasted (in January no less!) the panel and a few other CMP items.

The donor panel's excess holes were welded up and then was welded into place - Bob made sure that it was not ever coming out again...

All told, we made good progress with the clip. Next step - attach new wheel well panels and the pax side kick panel.

Next trip to the barn will have to be a "Bob" day, so that we can find the parts necessary for the reassembly job. Soon, we hope, we can have "Grant" days - providing he finds his "good shape" CMP...
Attached Thumbnails
panel fixed.jpg  
Old 07-01-07, 02:12
Mr. HUP

Default Ooops!

Sorry about that last photo...It kinda snuck in there. I guess Bob was signalling for me to lift up the clip. Right, Bob?
Old 09-01-07, 03:53
Mr. HUP

Default EVER WONDER WHAT SANTA'S ELVES DO AFTER CHRISTMAS?

They play with bigger toys...
Attached Thumbnails
elves.jpg  
Old 09-01-07, 04:11

Default Message for the elves....

.... I found the two inner seals for my front axle..... they were hard to find because I had neatly put them away.

However, just remembered that I have to order the bearings and races for the front axle.......

You guys up for a CMP hunting trip this Sunday????

Probably will be doing some parts washing this Wed. after work any takers..?? around 6:15.......

BooBee
PS.... may need to do overtime to catch up to Stew!!!!!
Canada
Old 09-01-07, 04:50
Mr. HUP

Default I'm in...

if SHMBO signs a leave pass for Wednesday. As for Sunday - are we heading east?
Old 09-01-07, 04:53

Default If the wind blows in the right direction...

...for a look see at the very least........

......or if the conversation goes well with the float....save a trip.

Hang in there.
Canada
Old 14-01-07, 23:30
Mr. HUP

Default Slow Day at the Barn

Not much to report today. We had near-perfect working weather - not too cold and not too wet. Bob and Grant fabbed up a grinder stand out of some square stock and used a worn out CMP drum as the base.

I pounded out a dent on the wing of my clip and filled the holes on the opposite wing. Next step is to weld in the wheel well panels and the pax side kick plate.

The parts run has been reschedule to next weekend...
Old 21-01-07, 01:31
Mr. HUP

Default Brrr- Damned Global Warming!

Cold start to a Saturday - minus 17C at 0715 hrs with a light dusting of new snow on the ground. After sparking up "Lucifer", Bob's wood furnace, the temp reached 40 degrees F (he has an American thermometer...) by the time Grub, er, Grant arrived at 0900 hrs. With the snow shovelled, the tents freed of ice and snow, Bob make his entrance.

Today we welded in the two wheel well panels and prepared Bob's diesel for a parts run that is scheduled for Sunday (providing a telephone deal is struck...).

The attached photo (entitled "Luke. I am your father") captures Bub and Grub looking their best.
Attached Thumbnails
dart.jpg  

Last edited by RHClarke; 21-01-07 at 16:02.
Old 21-01-07, 16:37
Mr. HUP

Default Small Steps

Attached is a shot of the wheel well panels solidly in place. Next step, kick panel.
Attached Thumbnails
clip2.jpg  
Old 21-01-07, 17:13

Default Look in good

Looks like progress, Bob notice you have your helmet up, do you have an auto darkening lenses? If not you have go to try one you’ll love it.
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 21-01-07, 23:27
Mr. HUP

Default Sunday Parts Run

Well, Bub and Grub did it. After a morning parts run to the Montreal area, they arrived at Chez Marie for "breakfast". Their haul can be seen in the attached photo. It was at "breakfast" that I learned that Grub (AKA Grant) was the proud owner of the vehicle on the trailer. Another one (finally) succumbs to the addiction - congratulations! At this moment (1725 hrs local), the fellows are on the road again for part two of the venture. Bub will post photos of the booty later.
Attached Thumbnails
grants baby.jpg  
Old 21-01-07, 23:32
Mr. HUP

Default Two in One Day!

Today, I introduced my son Jesse, to his "new" truck.
I asked him how he felt about his truck, and he replied "Can I get in it, Dad?" Good sign.

Jesse is three and a half years old and already shows a good interest in the hobby. As he gets older, he will become my shadow at the Hammond barn. Does an old man proud...
Attached Thumbnails
legacy.jpg  
Old 22-01-07, 02:43

Thats right Rob start him off on a dodge and up grade him to a CMP!
Old 22-01-07, 17:28

Default Bonjour everyone....

Sorry I didn't post any pictures last night...... after 13 hours playing outside a bowl of warm soup, a beer and the heat from the house did me in and crashed early.....

Stay tuned.....

In reply to Phil.... Yes both welding hoods have auto darkening lens which works wonders when you are doing delicate stich welding....... I had mine up to examine closely what I had jsut done...... also if you talk to much with the hood down is fogs up.
The deliceta part of the aelding is using a 18 guage sheet metal against painted angle iron..... I find I have to start on the clean sheet and move onto the angle using enough heat to get good penetration..... cleanmetal is always preferrable.... we were trying to avoid grinding the angle to bare metal which would then be covered with thenew sheet metal making it impossible to seal up the bare metal underneath. We plan to drip in some POR 15 in the gaps to properly seal against rust.

Pictures tonite I promise...

Bob
Canada