MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 17-09-06, 01:22
Mr. HUP

Default 2006 at the Hammond Barn

After a soggy start, the day warmed up enough for painting. The HUP frame is now a green colour. Many thanks to Bob and Grant for their guidance and assistance.
Old 17-09-06, 01:25
Mr. HUP

Default Er, Yes, the picture...

First the secret ingredient. Folgers!
Attached Thumbnails
100_1551.jpg  
Old 17-09-06, 01:27
Mr. HUP

Default And now! The HUP.

gotta lay off the Keiths...
Attached Thumbnails
100_1559.jpg  
Old 17-09-06, 02:14
Greg Wright

Hi Rob,

It is looking good. I will have to come out and see your truck first hand when I get a little more time in the fall. I will try to bring a Tims coffee for you so that you don't have to use the folgers anymore. It will probly give you a better green colour.

Cheers,
Greg
Old 17-09-06, 02:23
Mr. HUP

Default Tim's

Quote:
Originally posted by Greg
Hi Rob,

I will try to bring a Tims coffee for you so that you don't have to use the folgers anymore. It will probly give you a better green colour.

Cheers,
Greg
Greg,

Thanks. I prefer to drink Tims - NATO standard serving SVP. Grant and I may stop by on Thursday (if you are available) or next weekend to pick up some more of that world famous Wright Stuff canvas.

I hope you have been looking at some of the pictures of HUP/HUW penthouses...

Cheers,

Rob
Old 17-09-06, 02:26

Default Add a shot of Bailey's Irish creme...

to that cup of Timmie's, a couple of those minus the spillage all over the new paint job, and I think you will be surprised how quickly it will start to look like "DTB #2" , Dog Turd Brown No. 2!!! Cheers Rob
1943 FAT/ 17 pounder
1941 C15 GS 2B1
Old 17-09-06, 02:32
Greg Wright

Hi Rob,

Thursday would be better as I will going into my longshift next Friday. I have not had a chance to look at the Penthouses yet.
I have just received the parts for my sewing machine and I will start to make a few smaller items this fall in my new shop that I am moving in tomorrow morning. If Bob needs a new starage shed, I may have a line on a qunset hut that is free for the taking
(has to be torn down). Everything free requires the usuall extra work and costs. I will send you a PM with my work number if you need to get a hold of me.

Cheers,
Greg
Old 17-09-06, 02:36
Mr. HUP

Default The Best Cup of Coffee in the World!

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob Fast
to that cup of Timmie's, a couple of those minus the spillage all over the new paint job, and I think you will be surprised how close it will start to look like "DTB #2" , Dog Turd Brown No. 2!!! Cheers Rob
From paint to coffee...The Baileys sounds real good, but I recall the best cuppa I ever had was in the wilds of Valcartier (one of Quebec's major military training areas). It was O'dark thirty, I had been on a night recce for a night occupation in the middle of a damned blizzard. The guns arrived a few hours late, it took more time than necessary to pass line, and when the storm finally cleared up, it was time to recce the alternate position. By the time I dragged my worn out butt back to the gun line, most of the coffee was gone.

My recce tech and TSM fired up a Coleman stove, ripped open a few packets of "Anytime" coffee and we enjoyed one of the most satisfying cuppa ever.

I must admit, today I felt much satisfaction with the paint job, but nothing approaching the satisfaction of sharing a kettle with true professionals who shared the load.
Old 20-09-06, 21:19
T' Guns thank God t' guns

Default Yay!

Congrats, Rob she's starting to look really nice!

Mike
www.calnan.com/swords
Old 24-09-06, 03:02
Mr. HUP

Default Progress!

Another rainy day in Hammond! But a good day nonetheless. We got the engine mounted into the frame, and got a load of work completed.

Working with Bob and Grant is fun - not that we always agree on things, but fun anyway. Things get done quite fast - as the attached photo shows, nothing slows Bob down...
Attached Thumbnails
100_1563.jpg  
Old 24-09-06, 12:42
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Front Right...

Rob..The truck is coming along fine..Why is the front right tire mounted backwards..???
For show and tell..??or for backing up..??
I'm sure it will eventually get reversed to run in the proper direction..Great job you are doing..
Old 24-09-06, 13:13

Default Just wodering?

Rob
I do hope this isn't a sore point but have you got the connecting rods for the front shock absorbers yet? I think you will find that now you are building the truck back up that the fun has just begun. As to Alex pointing out the front tire being mounted backwards I do hope those arn't the tires you intend to leave on the finished truck!
Gord
Old 24-09-06, 17:48
Mr. HUP

Default Re: Front Right...

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex Blair
Why is the front right tire mounted backwards..???
Alex/Gordon,

Lazy/Ignorance/Apathy? Perhaps all three. In fact the front tyres are 10.50s and don't belong on the HUP, but they came with the deal.

As you can tell I am a long way from driving the HUP thru the Barrett-Jackson concours, so I am not too fussed about tread direction or historical accuracy.

It is fitting that the treads are backwards, for it seems that for every move forward with this HUP, there are three steps backwards. Just ask Bob and Grant about the short drive shaft that fits between the tranny and transfer case...

Part of the fun of restoring rusty old trucks. Speaking of old and "c"rusty, when can we expect a visit from wild Bill?

Last edited by RHClarke; 24-09-06 at 23:34.
Old 24-09-06, 17:50
Mr. HUP

Default Re: Just wodering?

Quote:
Originally posted by Gordon Yeo
Rob
... have you got the connecting rods for the front shock absorbers yet? Gord
Gord,

Yes, there are NOS front down links available - the air transportable version of the WWII Dodge ammo carrier fit quite nicely! My back up was to heat and twist some M35 down links as they are the same length. (Step forward) However, finding the rear down links has been fruitless so far (Step backwards)

Cheers,

Rob
Old 25-09-06, 00:44

Default How about a live web cam

Bob I think your shop is a candidate for a live web cam feed at least on the weekend.
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 25-09-06, 04:22

Default Oh the things you would see.....

....things like spltting up the tractor/log skidder/two truck/firewood splitter and snow blower.......

Ring gear on the flywheel is worn out after 26 years of stop and go........ glad I did I found out the PTO clutch had shattered.... better now than -20 C in the Winter time......

Took about 4 hours to undress and split in two... thank God for the overhead beams and trucks..... about a ton is hanging in hte front end and maybe two tons on the rear section.... tractor weighs 8000+....

Should be running for the next weekend in the "barn"...

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
p1040304resized.jpg  
Canada
Old 25-09-06, 04:25

Default Ooops.....

Forgot to mention that the four hours of undressing the MF was NOT a one man job........ I had the presious help of Grant Bowker who got just as filthy and smeared with diesel fuel as I did......

BooBee
Canada
Old 08-10-06, 02:25
Mr. HUP

Default Flying HUP

Grant guides the old girl in for a landing. This Saturday was spent cleaning off her underpinings by sandblasting. Followed by a liberal coat of paint on the checkerboard flooring.

As with all things HUP, this truck is different - it has more time flying than driving in the past two years.
Attached Thumbnails
grant1.jpg  
Old 08-10-06, 02:34
Mr. HUP

Default Rust Gone!

The result (thanks for the help, Bob and Grant):
Attached Thumbnails
floor.jpg  
Old 08-10-06, 16:55
Greg Wright

Hi Rob,

The body looks fantastic. Don't spare the paint as it is inexpensive compared to rust starting. If you can get me the specs that you have for the penthouse sothat I can pick out the canvas before the snow flies.

Cheers,
Greg
Old 09-10-06, 03:17
Mr. HUP

Default Moving at the speed of sound!

Quote:
Originally posted by Greg
Hi Rob,

The body looks fantastic. Don't spare the paint as it is inexpensive compared to rust starting. If you can get me the specs that you have for the penthouse sothat I can pick out the canvas before the snow flies.

Cheers,
Greg
Thanks, Greg. You will recall the state of the body while the HUP graced the museum. Now that the most expensive and time consuming tasks are complete, it's time to reassemble the truck. Things are moving at a nice crisp pace (thanks to the help of good friends).

As for the penthouse, I suspect that I will have the measurements for you this week coming. It will not be a fancy design - a field workshop expedient is what I have in mind. I'll send some photos that provide a rough idea of the general layout later.

Cheers,

RHC
Old 14-10-06, 22:51
MLU Administrator

Default Re: Tim's

Quote:
Originally posted by RHClarke
I hope you have been looking at some of the pictures of HUP/HUW penthouses...
Have you seen the one in the Arnhem 2006 thread?

Old 15-10-06, 01:12
Mr. HUP

Default Penthouse

Hanno,

Yes, I saw that thread and that is a good shot of the tent. The big questions remain:

How was it attached to the top of the vehicle?
What are the panel dimensions?
How are the side panels attached to the canopy?
Was the tent attached to the bottom of the vehicle?
How far to the rear of the truck did the tent extend?

As Bill M stated in another thread, most vehicle mounted tents were fabbed up by the materials tech, or a tiffy with some sewing skills.

The photo posted by Cletrac also very helpful although it shows a different variant of the penthouse (adding further strength to Bill's statement).

Any other penthouse details/dimensions/photos out there?
Old 15-10-06, 01:19
Mr. HUP

Default Tent Variant

Cletrac's photo:
Attached Thumbnails
penthouse3[1].jpg  
Old 16-10-06, 03:00
Mr. HUP

Default Like The Old Girlfriend

This weekend took on a different nature. Had to pay some bills at Bob's barn. Bob and I spent the day cutting, splitting and stacking (hence the ref to the old ball and chain) wood for the upcoming mosquito no fly season. Those M101 trailers (3/4 ton) come in handy for transporting the split wood.

Nothing to report on the restoration front, however I am still hopeful someone will come forward with the specs for the HUP penthouse...

Next weekend will be dedicated to the pursuit of happiness - Bob and I are set for a road trip to the wilds of Ontario's north country. I will shed a tear or two as we pass by Petawawa for sentimental reasons - did some real hard core soldiering there, and there is some real grief hanging over the camp. God bless our soldiers.
Old 17-10-06, 01:35

Looks great!!!!! Send info on the spring BBQ, I have a few buddies that would like the run out your way. Myself included.
Dan

P.s have no info on the HUP yet.
Old 17-10-06, 02:41

Default BBQ...??

Are we having a Spring BBQ?????

Love my springs well roasted and steamed with beer.....

I sure hope I get invited.....

....would love to see the gang from Montreal...

Bob C.
Canada
Old 17-10-06, 04:09
Mr. HUP

Default Why Not?

Let's roast up some burgers and dogs in April - it should be as warm as it was for the August BBQ!

Sounds like a good idea and a chance for us east Ontario/West Quebec CMP types to get together. The following year we can have the BBQ in Montreal - le Super Sex sounds like a good venue!

RHC
Old 18-10-06, 01:32

Ahhh. my mistake, I though it was in the spring. I think the super sexe parking would be insufficient for all the trucks. Well what the hell, park in the middle of Ste Catherines street, they can't tow us all.

Bob, I think springs would be a little rough on the old chicklets. Body bushings are much chewier.

Let me know if it's open to outsiders.
Dan
Old 18-10-06, 03:57

Default No such thing....

HI Dan

No such thing as an outsider ....if you love army green... of any shade ......you are welcome.....

....not sure about the inside her....????

BooBee
Canada