MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 24-03-12, 04:09

Default Nasty End to a running C15 about to happen

Well I work in the film industry in Toronto...I am working on the biggest film ever shot here.

Well today I was taking some set dressing to a "tow" truck they bought...well it looks original..it runs, the winch works, the tri-pole towing frame looks original...all the gauges are there as well as the data plates...no holes or heavy rust ANYWHERE..has all the glass ect ect ect....well I found out that it will be crushed by a creature or falling concrete.

I am trying to convince the Picture Car guy to let me get stuff off it before or after they wreck it...so heres hoping.

To me it is a real waste....couldn't they find something else to distroy???

Anyway..the data plates states it was built June 13 1944...I think it had cab style 13 ( only has one seat)..and the other plate had this on it
C15A-WIRE-5 does anyone know what that means???

THank you

and again, I hope it is not distroyed..even if it is damaged..it is still in in better shape than MANY I have seen recovered and rebuilt.

Anything I should try to save off it???

Dean
Old 24-03-12, 06:30

C15A-Wire-5=
Chev 15cwt 4X4 radio (Canadian)

"and on the 8th day he made trucks so that man, made on the 7th day, had shelter when woman threw him out for the night"
MrRoo says "TRUCKS ROOLE"
Old 24-03-12, 07:31
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Destroy a C15???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean (Ajax) View Post
Well I work in the film industry in Toronto...I am working on the biggest film ever shot here.

Well today I was taking some set dressing to a "tow" truck they bought...well it looks original..it runs, the winch works, the tri-pole towing frame looks original...all the gauges are there as well as the data plates...no holes or heavy rust ANYWHERE..has all the glass ect ect ect....well I found out that it will be crushed by a creature or falling concrete.

I am trying to convince the Picture Car guy to let me get stuff off it before or after they wreck it...so heres hoping.

To me it is a real waste....couldn't they find something else to distroy???

Anyway..the data plates states it was built June 13 1944...I think it had cab style 13 ( only has one seat)..and the other plate had this on it
C15A-WIRE-5 does anyone know what that means???

THank you

and again, I hope it is not distroyed..even if it is damaged..it is still in in better shape than MANY I have seen recovered and rebuilt.

Dean
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 24-03-12, 13:02

Quote:
Any chance they would be willing to sell the remains cheap? If so I think it might be possible to arrange a home near Hammond. If it is really scrap value only once they are done, then it probably wouldn't be worth the fuel - depends on what is left.
Otherwise, if they aren't planning to drive it, why not grab the whole instrument panel (with data plates) including the temperature tube to the engine and the cylinder head fitting for the steam tube. Unless they need the seat frame to show in the shot as it gets crushed, someone is sure to want it. Chev master cylinders are harder to find than Ford. Almost any part could be useful depending on price. Nothing against Jeep people, but I don't understand the desire some of them have to pay large for rusty F script bolts.
In short,it all depends on what they need to keep to show in their shot, what is relatively quick/easy to remove and what they want for what they offer.
Old 25-03-12, 00:03
Staghound

Maybe the picture car guy would like to do a stand in for the truck!
Old 25-03-12, 06:24

What ever is saved, I am willing to transport Free Of Charge eastwards on the 401 to Gananoque.

I will be in Whitby soon and can take anything from the whole truck down to boxes of remains.

Not my area of interest but work takes me that way with 1 ton truck and can so easily latch on the float trailer.

If Bob Carriere and the Hammond barn dwellers want it I will bring it back. If Bob wants to pay for my fuel from Gananoque to the Hammond barn and return to Gan or cross load it in Gan onto his rig i'm game to help see anything saved. I'm not a complete philistine just because i'm not into that era kit.

Regards

Robin
Old 25-03-12, 10:05
MLU Administrator

Can't it be swapped for a real wreck? I'm sure the local MLUers would be able to come up with a suitable swap....

I would hate to see a restorable CMP being crushed and the scene ending up on the floor of the cutting room
Old 25-03-12, 11:24

Default Hear Hear

Thank goodness someone said it. Im with you Hanno..

Cmon you Canucks surely one of you lads has got a salt encrusted one that would make a magnificent disintegration.....and you get a better beast out of the deal.

Non??
Old 25-03-12, 14:19

The reason they are using this truck is because they wanted something odd looking and Military..they had an older uniy mog (?) but the deal fell through, and they had to have the truck there by Friday so the Set Deck could "trick it out"..the truck will play on Monday..so there is no time to try to replace it...makes me sick.

I will see what I can do about parts..or if they will sell the remains..the remains may have to be shipped with a lot of the other set dressing to CA at the end of the show....you never know what they will keep and what they will get rid of.

Dean
Old 28-03-12, 03:40

Dean, If your anyplace near it, please take a few photos of the c15a wire 5 tag, I am restoring a 44 wire 5 and am short on the tag, hoping to make one on a lazer ingraver if i can get a good clear photo.
Old 28-03-12, 05:21
David Pope

Jason, here's a few data plate shots I took at Reynolds museum a few years ago.
Attached Thumbnails
100_0808.jpg   100_0809.jpg   100_0813.jpg  
1940 Cab 11 F15A w/ Chev rear ends
1941 Cab 12 F15A
1942-44 Cab 13 F15A x 5
1942 cab 13 F15A with 2B1 box
1943 cab 13 F15A with 2H1 box
1943 Cab 13 C8A HUP
1944 Cab 13 C15A with 2C1 box
1943 Cletrac M2 High Speed Tractor
MkII Bren gun carrier chassis x 2
Old 28-03-12, 05:52

Default Same dates

The extra wire 5 I had and Pat Papworths C15A Wire 5 were both built on the same date, June 13th if i remember, My current C15A Wire % was built on July 20th. That's 3 trucks still in Canada built on the same day.
Old 28-03-12, 12:39

Thanks Guys, Now would there not been a brass tag on the rear of the wire 5 box too...??
Old 29-03-12, 01:31

Well make that 4 C 15 Wireless trucks built on June 13th 1944 as this one was built that day also!!!

I have several photos of the truck and cab..and data plates...one of it driving into the studio!

However I cannot post photos as I am no good with that sort of thing...if anyone is will to send me an email address that I can send some photos to, so they can post them....that would be great!

It has not been crushed yet..I hope my protest changed someones mind!

Dean
Old 29-03-12, 02:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason meade View Post
Thanks Guys, Now would there not been a brass tag on the rear of the wire 5 box too...??
The body ID tag I have for my Wire5 is a thin (zinc alloy?) plate embossed with the body serial that was riveted to the front left corner of the body. facing forward, lower edge.
Old 29-03-12, 02:51

Hey Grant, you wouldent offer up a photo of that in your spare time down the road would ya?...I havent picked up the box yet so it may be there however all the rest of the plates have got up and walked over the last 70 years so i am guessing it did too.
Jason
Old 29-03-12, 22:13
MLU Administrator

Quote:
However I cannot post photos as I am no good with that sort of thing...if anyone is will to send me an email address that I can send some photos to, so they can post them....that would be great!
Dean,

See Posting Images or e-mail them.

H.
Old 30-03-12, 02:34

Hello, I have sent 8 photos to Ross, you will hate the way the set decs "dressed" the truck...but all those containers on the rear deck will come off.

I will be interested in everyones comments when the see the condition of the cab and the rest.
I know nothing about buying and selling Military Vehs..I just know this should be saved.
To make it run the have to attach an external fuel tank...both original tanks are there with their caps...however when I took one of the caps off...it smelled like varnish..so I would guess they would need to be cleaned as well as the fuel lines replaced.

Anyway...hope I can buy it at the end of the film..all depends on the price.

Anyone have any idea of what something like this is worth?

This is way out of my range of knowledge

Thanks

Dean
Old 30-03-12, 02:44

Thank you Ross!!!

DEan
Old 30-03-12, 04:02

Default Seen before on Kijiji.....?

...... the make shift body looks very familiar.

The best parts would be the instruments and steering wheel ....and anything below the belt line or basically the frame and power train.

How much is it worth after it is crushed..... basically $200 for scrap value..... maybe $300 if you take it yourself to the crap dealer but then you run into expenses and they may insist on the tires being removed and the crankcase drained.

If crushed to the point of damaging the frame...... only small parts may be salvagable... tranny...T case.... master cylinder.... bell housing if not cracked...... axles should survive but they are usually readily available.... rims??? axle gear cluster and inner axle shafts would survive some heavy dumping..... depending on the engine..... manifolds...pulleys... dizzy...Steering wheel if it survives...
D rings on bumber.... any and all levers..... end piece on tranny if not already broken...

Overall may be very time consuming to strip down to smaller components..... not knowing when there will be a buyer for the parts.....best bet would be for someone to grab it and store it in the back forty and call on it for parts when and if required. We are fortunate here at the barn for having ample storage space ...... where the vehicles can wait patiently until we either need to look at the set up of a particular part or just pull what we need. Every time we crawl under them to see something new ....we discover some unnoticed variation of model differences. Only 2 weeks ago we discovered that cab 12 had two very different floor panels and inner fenders.....will follow up with pictures under the Hammond barn.

I would still say save it if you can...... they apparently don't make them anymore!!!!!!

Bob
Canada
Old 06-04-12, 12:26

Well they finished shooting that set and the C 15 is still in one piece...a lot of blue on it now as that is the colour of "monster blood"..well as I understand it now...
I am not sure what they are going to do with this truck...but I will try to find out later next week..if it's for sale and out of my price range....I will let members on this forum know.

Dean
Old 06-04-12, 12:58
MLU Administrator

Happy to hear it survived. The cab and body is not orginal, but the chassis and drive line are worth getting at scrap price. It might be a good basis for a reconstruction, or useful as a parts donor.
Old 21-04-12, 03:29
Michael P.

is this off kipling and norseman in toronto?
just wondering because they have a movie site their and always a bunch of military vehicles, and the area itself has private vehicle owners.
Old 21-04-12, 03:51

Hope that studio is 777 Kipling...we are at pinewood.

They will be selling it..I may try to buy it if the price is right..
If not I will post it here.

Dean