MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MLU ADMIN > Forum Readme

Notices

Old 09-02-03, 14:30
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Exclamation Posting Images

One of the things you can do on this board is post images directly from your hard drive. See the image below? Using the Attach file box below this typing window, I was able to browse my own computer until I found the pic I wanted, then upload it with this post!

Note that there is a size limit on such pics of 102kb... this is to limit bandwidth associated with larger, uncompressed images. Note also that the width on this particular picture is 600 pixels... that's about as wide as we want to go. Wider pics will push out the table side, allowing accompanying text to scroll off the page.

For our purposes, jpg images are best, but please try to keep them a moderate physical size, and save them with moderate compression!
Attached Thumbnails
priest7aug44.jpg  
Old 16-02-03, 17:05
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Exclamation PLEASE NOTE....

I've experimentally limited attached pics to 700 pixels width... while I don't wish to cause anyone inconvenience, it does help in regulating oversize attachments. Most of you will have some control over the physical size of your scans, so please adjust accordingly. BTW, the max 'byte size' remains 102 kb.

If this is a real hassle then I can back it off again. I just don't want moderators spending too much time resizing other's photos so they don't run the table off the page!

G.
Old 08-04-12, 23:07
MLU Administrator

I would like to ask anyone to use the "Manage Attachments" option to attach pictures, rather than the "Insert image" button. That way we prevent loosing pictures.

Also, some websites do not permit linking to pictures.

Esteemed members like Dirk Leegwater, Keith Webb et al have been around for many years, but have moved their websites over the years resulting in many dead picture links. I have spent hours correcting them, if possible at all. A waste of time and a loss, as as you know a picture tells a thousands words!

Thanks for your consideration!

Hanno
Old 08-04-12, 23:18
MLU Administrator

Message Editor Interface

When posting messages to the forums or other members, there are three interface types available to you. The simplest of these is a simple text box, while the last is a fully-fledged WYSIWYG editor, which allows you to format your text as you want it and see the results immediately.

Go to User CP > Edit Options > Miscellaneous Options > Message Editor Interface and if you then choose "Basic editor", "Standard editor" or "Enhanced Interface"

Depending upon the capabilities of your web browser, you may not be able to use all of these options. If you experience problems when posting messages, try switching to a different interface type.

Hanno
Old 16-06-12, 08:15
MLU Administrator

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Webb View Post
So for those of you using MobileMe you will probably have received notification this is happening, for others this will explain why a lot of images will disappear from this forum.

If there's something you'd particularly like to see again after June 30, then let me know and I will repost. I don't fancy finding all my posts and changing image links!
Been there, done that for you ..... ;-)

Seriously, I urge MLU users to attach pictures to their postings, rather than using an external hosting site. We have seen many of those being taken offline, in other cases people moved their own website (Keith, Dirk) or they disappeared when passing away (David). Many postings are becoming worthless when the associated pictures disappear, so please use the functionality of this forum so we can assure preservation of your quality information shared here.

Thanks,
Hanno
MLU Administrator
Old 19-01-14, 10:59
MLU Administrator

As explained by Anthony in the Message Editor Interface settings?, this is how you can insert your picture inline with your text:
  1. Click on Post Reply
  2. Type your text
  3. Click on the paperclip button on the tool bar above Message window
  4. The popup screen Manage Attachments opens: select your picture and click on Upload and then Close this window
  5. Click on the paperclip button again and a small window will pop up for you to click on the insert (all) button.
If you stop after step 4. the attachments are not inserted in line with your text but as attachments on the bottom of your post.

HTH,
Hanno
Old 03-10-15, 21:09
MLU Administrator

Although I changed the settings re. dimensions and file size, they are not unlimited. So if you get an error message, resize your pictures and try again.

Also, some smart devices (like those made by Apple) only allow uploading one picture per posting as give each image the same name "image.jpg"

Please let know if it still doesn't work for you.
Old 14-03-16, 17:49
MLU Administrator

Default Photobucket

One can also attach photos already hosted on photobucket: click on the photo to go to its photobucket page.
To the bottom right of the photo it says "SHARE THIS PHOTO".
Click and copy the "Direct" field, go to "Manage Attachments" here on MLU and paste it in the "Upload File from a URL" field and click "Upload".

It will help saving your photos here on MLU as one day your images will be gone from photobucket....

Please go ahead and try - if you mess up it's no problem as the moderators can always modify and/or delete it.

HTH,
Old 14-03-16, 20:32

Default Help Stop Lose Of Photo

Hi All

All of us including me need to be sure to actually save the images to MLU not just links.

It is clear that part of the problem is that the hosting software gives us two options:

1. Click on the little Picture Icon (red circle) it gives only the option for link, which seems to cause the problem. Wrong Way

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot MLU Picture Posting.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	80477

2. Click on the Paper Clip and you can actually load the image. Correct Way

If you are using the Edit Button to add a photo you have to take the extra step of Clicking on Go Addvanced to get the Paper Clip Icon to appear.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 16-07-17, 12:59
MLU Administrator

Update:

I have increased the maximum allowable size for .jpg and .jpeg attachments to 1.5 MB and 1600 pixels width.

The forum software will resize larger files to a certain extent. When you get an error message while uploading a picture, please resize and try again.

HTH,
Old 22-11-18, 18:38
metal urgest

Any way for the computer illiterate like myself to rotate photo's on MLU?

I have tried rotating the pic on my computer first, but still attaches longest dimension sideways.
Old 22-11-18, 20:50

Default Same issue with my cell phone....

...always goes upside down on MLU IF i download directly from the phone to the MLU.

Now I download to my 'puter first, edit with ACDsee, then post. The editing allows me to add text, crop the picture to only the relevant parts and resize plus a million other options I hardly ever use. The option for adjusting color. density. contrast etc comes in handy when you have a photo of a registration tag that can't be read because of shadows or reflection, or poor light conditions..... great for reading original census numbers on doors with many layers of paint..... you can sand some, photograph, sand more photo again etc then the total view will get you to make out even partial lettering.

Could not live without the digital camera.... of course I have a live in coach with my wife being an accomplished photographer. She photographs I just snap pictures.
Canada