MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > BUY, TRADE or SELL > For Sale Or Wanted

Notices

Old 10-02-08, 19:00

Default Blackout Headlight

Hello All,

To complete the features of my MB, I look to have the blackout headlight (not the BO light on the driver side fender) as canadian jeeps had during the WWII. Does someone could help me? Also, I know that the canadian jeeps had a convoy lamp to illuminate the rear axle cover. What kind of lamp was on the WWII jeeps and does needing a special switch on the dash board? I'm also interrested to buy this convoy lamp.

Best regards

Guy Bordeleau
Old 11-02-08, 00:33

Hi Guy

Is this the kind of blackout headlamp you are looking for. If so try getting in touch with Brian Asbury. I think he had one on his table yesterday at the OMVA show.

As for the rear axel lamp I was talking with Eric Booth about what to use. He said the ones pictured below are correct.

This conversion would have been done in England. I picked up another of these lights yesterday (Brian Asbury) and the earlier style mount for it. I mounted it on the chassis crossmemer just above the rear diff. The angle of the mount allows the light to shine down onto the diff. I did have to drill two small 1/4" holes into the frame to bolt on the mount. As for wiring I added it to the "blackout" wiring with another 3 way connector.

I can post pictures of this but it wont be unitl next weekend.

I will post a picutre of how I mounted it next weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
01-18.jpg   light07.jpg  
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 11-02-08, 01:10

Hello Jordan,

Thanks for these informations and I wrote to Brian to have the BO headlight.

Best regards from Trois-Rivieres

Guy
Old 15-02-08, 16:31

Default CDN Blackout light.

Hello Jordan and Guy

Both styles of CMP lights were used, the rubber ones depicted above and the metal tubes. There was a single pull toggle switch of British manufacture used, which was mounted on the left side of the dash. Above this was a white plastic switch plate. These were a standard mod to all 505 and 242 contract jeeps assembled in the UK. This was generally not done except as a field mod on later contracts. If done as a field mod Brian also has the CMP Convoy light plates and switches.

There is a company in the US who makes the Headlight guards.

Eric
Old 17-02-08, 02:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
Hello Jordan and Guy

Both styles of CMP lights were used, the rubber ones depicted above and the metal tubes. There was a single pull toggle switch of British manufacture used, which was mounted on the left side of the dash. Above this was a white plastic switch plate. These were a standard mod to all 505 and 242 contract jeeps assembled in the UK. This was generally not done except as a field mod on later contracts. If done as a field mod Brian also has the CMP Convoy light plates and switches.

There is a company in the US who makes the Headlight guards.

Eric
Hello Eric,

Thanks for these informations. I bought a BO Headlights from Brian and I received it yesterday. I bought also a kit of repro M38CDN data plates from Brian and I'm very impressive by the high quality of his stuffs and the very good service from him.

Best regards from Trois-Rivieres.

Guy

Last edited by M38CDNBill; 17-02-08 at 16:47.
Old 21-02-08, 15:01

Default CDN Blackout lights

Thats great.

Eric
Old 02-07-21, 16:02

Default Jeep Blackout Headlight...

Hello Eric,

Do you know the name of the company in the U.S. that makes the jeep blackout headlamp? Thank you.
Old 02-07-21, 22:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philippe Jeanneau View Post
Hello Eric,

Do you know the name of the company in the U.S. that makes the jeep blackout headlamp? Thank you.
reopened after what, thirteen years ?
Old 16-11-22, 00:02

Default Blackout Headlamp...

Well, sorry I wasn't here 13 years ago....Just happen to be looking for one now.
Old 16-11-22, 00:08
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Kudos to you Philippe for ressurecting an old thread. Nothing wrong with opening up new discussion on matters already in the archives.

1968 M274A5 Mule Baifield USMC
1966 M274A2 Mule BMY USMC
1958 M274 Mule Willys US Army
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08715 1 CSR
1981 MANAC 3/4T CDN trailer
1943 Converto Airborne Trailer
1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,
and trucks and stuff and more stuff and and.......

OMVA, MVPA, G503, Steel Soldiers
Old 01-12-22, 15:14

Default Jeep Blackout Headlight Wanted...

Hello Chris,

Thank you, I am still looking for one if you know anyone that can help...
Old 03-12-22, 01:54

M38 Bill sold that MB a loooong time ago and still regrets it to this day. He will trade a CCKW for an MB now . Please help him out .
94 LSVW

Last edited by Robert Bergeron; 03-12-22 at 02:02.
Old 04-12-22, 02:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Bergeron View Post
M38 Bill sold that MB a loooong time ago and still regrets it to this day. He will trade a CCKW for an MB now . Please help him out .
No Robert, I still have my MB. I sold my M38CDN to Michel Pouliot in Rimouski and I still regrets... I don't have a CCKW but a Chevy G7107 to trade for another M38 (CDN or US). I lack time and opportunity to give glory to my truck and I would return to my first love with an m38. Also, it makes a spare jeep when I receive a visit from another jeeper and we can go eat an ice cream in a convoy...:wink:

http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=33616

Last edited by M38CDNBill; 04-12-22 at 03:09.
Old 21-01-24, 00:18

Default Blackout Lamp...

Quote:
Hello Chris,

Quote:
Hello Chris,

Frustrated and still unable to find a light in years, I decided to make my own, so here is my attempt to do something that I hope would pass... Going with the few original photos I could find online plus a few scarce current photos of originals which show a few styles, I decided to come up with something that may pass from a distance and almost look like the real McCoy...

So, in order to make this happen, first I remembered having a repro seelite lamp that burned and came unglued on its own! Bingo I thought, I will use the bucket ring and gasket as my starting point...

Having these parts on hand the next thing to do was to remove the old bulb out of the lamp which twisted off... Then I drilled the remainder plastic insert and cleaned the cavity to accomodate a generic socket that would hold a 30 CP bulb similar to the original bulb in size...

After that, I had the task of searching for a hood that would closely match the original in size... I say closely only because I had to approximate the size/scale down from photos... Having said that, I did not want to spend a great deal of $$$ on something that may not work, so I found my candidate here for $45.00- shipped

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174567602100

The next expense would cost as much as the lamp, which meant having a shop cut the lamp's circumference to match the required dimension of the original headlamp... Another $50.00 and I had most of the pieces needed...

After that ordeal and a mishap by the shop where I left my parts (broken seelite ring) I had to figure out the profile/height of the lamp, which may be way off from the original in appearance, but which would be dictated by the height of the bulb against the cover...

So the strip needed out of 0.87mm (20 Gauge?) thick had to be 1" in height to clear the bulb and fit properly... The next step was to cut the length which turned out to be 17-1/16" which I would have to bend and tack together to make a ring...

Finishing that, it left tacking the ring on the inside to the hood and disk... I only did it in 4 sections and about 1" in length so it would not come apart on me... If you rush it, you may distort the metal a little which means you will have to cheat later on with bondo!..;(

Following that, bear with me please I am almost done... It left sealing the inside with caulk, touching up a few imperfections, priming and painting the lamp...

The final step entailed making the plug for which I used a piece of 1/4" rubber, along with GM series 56 terminals plus a short pigtail for the ground wire...

In short I hope that anyone else wishing to have a headlamp blackout lamp can use this as a guide for one, since they cannot be found anywhere or for a reasonable price...
Attached Thumbnails
thumbnail_IMG_9622.jpg   thumbnail_IMG_0392.jpg   thumbnail_IMG_0409.jpg   thumbnail_IMG_0433.jpg   IMG_0438R.jpg  

Old 21-01-24, 00:20

Default Blackout Lamp....

Here are a few more photos of the build...
Attached Thumbnails
thumbnail_IMG_0403.jpg   thumbnail_IMG_0405.jpg   thumbnail_IMG_0410.jpg   thumbnail_IMG_0428.jpg   thumbnail_IMG_0430.jpg  

Old 21-01-24, 00:26

Default Blackout Lamp...

I tried to come as close to the original as possible...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0435R.jpg   IMG_0436R.jpg   IMG_0437R.jpg   s-l1600 (12)j.jpg   s-l1600 (12)jj.jpg