MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Gun Park

Notices

Old 15-11-10, 17:46

Default The tyres of M1A1 155MM howizter

Hi,

Please refer below link to Primeportal, the right hand side civilian wheel.
Does anyone have close up photo for tyre surface charactor detail ? Thanks in advance.

Kurtis

http://data3.primeportal.net/artille...n_06_of_16.jpg
Old 15-11-10, 18:11
carrier mech

The civilian tire looks like the diamond tread tire with a recap. You can see the outer treads on the sidewall are the same, and also see where the cap begins.
Old 18-11-10, 03:35
T' Guns thank God t' guns

Default Howitzer 155mm C1

Hi Kurtis:

Are you modelling a Canadian or US 155?

The Canadian ones were all M114A1 renamed C1. The key difference was the jack. On the older US models the jack was a huge geared square shaped post (see your photo). On the later models the jack was a circular tube about six inches in diameter.

Photographic evidence seems to indicate that the Canadian ones always were fitted with NDCC type tread.

Cheers! Mike
www.calnan.com/swords
Old 18-11-10, 19:25
carrier mech

I have worked on several of them that were issued to museums. All came with the non directionals like Mike mentions. Most non-directionals were in poor shape and were replaced with the modern michelens for display, so don't go by current photos to see what was correct.
Old 18-11-10, 22:23
Gilles Chartrand

I worked at 25 Supply Depot in Montreal and all the towed 155mm we had had NDCC tires and as Mike stated the front jacks were round cylinder types. The photo you have, the gun has 2 different types of treads. Gilles
Old 21-11-10, 16:45

Default M1A1 155mm howitzer tyres in WW2

Hi,

Sorry ! I think my question is not so clear. I am not referring the diamond tread tire. Please see below link to another wartime photo. I am referring this one.

http://gateway.ca.k12.pa.us/memorial/155.gif

I just want to search info this WW2 tyres surface charactor detail for M1A1 howitzer. Thanks.

Cheers,
Kurtis
Old 25-11-10, 02:45
T' Guns thank God t' guns

Default 155mm M114 tires

Hi Kurtis:

During the war most armies restricted the use of combat tread tires due to the greater amount of rubber, a strategic material, they used. As a result artillery pieces and vehicles that didn't leave the hard tracks and roads got what was referred to as truck and bus tread tires which saved many pounds of rubber per tire. 2 wheel drive trucks were also restricted to combat tread tires only on the driven axles. Look at pictures of trucks and jeeps in Italy for example and you'll be surprised how many have 'civilian' style tread tires or even the number of vehicles that had a mix of tire styles!.

Take a look at the online catalogues from Coker tire and Universal tire and you'll find lots of good clear pictures of the style of tread I'm referring to.

http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/...ee#/bd6b8fee/1
http://www.universaltire.com/

Coker page 10F, 22N and all of page 38 show tread styles used by the military. Good luck with your model!

Mike
www.calnan.com/swords
Old 27-11-10, 04:33

Default 155mm M114 tires

Hi Mike,

Thanks for respond and the links. However, I found the T.M. pictures show the same tyres with charactor "Firestone". So I may focus on this one.

Kurtis