MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 09-02-13, 10:59

Default My new book: Operation Salam - László Almásy’s most daring Mission in the Desert War

We started working on it in 2008, Andras Zboray, Michael Rolke and me. The story was not really an untold one but none of the previous publications told it in its complete extend and none of them made full use of the original documents, photographs and so on. And I am very happy that we had the chance to visit most of the places in the desert along the route taken by the secret mission before this area became practically inaccessible for the occasional traveler.

We were also very lucky to find a publisher who accepted to print and publish the book without having seen the photographs and without having read the manuscript - just by trust that this story is worth to be printed.

For those who have never written a book on their own: In the beginning you don't believe that you will manage it. Then there is a long phase of excitement during the research... followed by an equally long and tiring phase of editing, correcting and so on. It ends at the moment where you cannot see your own stuff anymore. Then you have to wait. Until the printed book is in your hands - that changes everything and you know it was worth all the efforts (especially if the result weighs 1,9 kilo).

If I am allowed to advert this new book a bit - have a look at my website for some more details:

http://www.desertstories.org/index.php?article_id=45
Attached Thumbnails
Operation Salam - Forum (1001).JPG  
Old 09-05-13, 09:11

Here a look into the book... CMP trucks played an important role in this story.
Attached Thumbnails
Operation Salam - Forum (1002).JPG   Operation Salam - Forum (1003).JPG   Operation Salam - Forum (1004).JPG   Operation Salam - Forum (1005).JPG   Operation Salam - Forum (1006).JPG  

Old 09-05-13, 09:13

Some more:
Attached Thumbnails
Operation Salam - Forum (1007).JPG   Operation Salam - Forum (1008).JPG   Operation Salam - Forum (1009).JPG   Operation Salam - Forum (1010).JPG   Operation Salam - Forum (1011).JPG  

Old 09-05-13, 09:14

And some more of them:
Attached Thumbnails
Operation Salam - Forum (1012).JPG   Operation Salam - Forum (1013).JPG   Operation Salam - Forum (1015).JPG   Operation Salam - Forum (1014).JPG   Operation Salam - Forum (1016).JPG