MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Armour Forum

Notices

Old 24-04-13, 13:59

Default Sexton no. 1953

Greetings from Slovakia

I d like to introduce my restoration project, i found this piece in Italy where still many of them are, like statues or sadly like firing targets. This one is upgunned with 105 mm US M4 howitzer, because in 1963 the Italian army rearmed to NATO -ammo, but I still dont know where else was this type of howitzer used (found that M4- general sherman howitzer has the modificated M4 howitzer X1). The engine continental R975 C4 wasn t running but is fully original, some parts were missing like exhaust rings etc.

After spending a year of looking for parts for the engine, I can tell,that the engine is finally running

the body is sandblasted and painted, but still looking for some parts like :
1., complete oil filter with bracket
2., any Sexton manual
3., coil for starter
4., exhaust pipes (middle part between ehaust rings and exhaust ending)

I am also not able to find any history about this Sexton, so I must to make a decision between canadian or british markings, but it looks that I will decide to country of made. But any help with this is very welcomed.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0074.JPG  
Old 24-04-13, 15:46
Terry Warner

Default Sexton

Congratulations! And welcome to the gang! You have an interesting choice: Canadian, British or Italian markings? Each one will direct you down a different path for equipment and fittings.

As we know, Canada made Sextons because the Americans were making a lot more Shermans and the factory knew what it was doing. This particular vehicle represents a very quiet part of Canadian military history, when we gave or sold lots of war material to countries like Netherlands, Denmark, Belgium, Portugual and Italy. You know those trivial little things like trucks, rifles and armoured vehicles. A huge quantity of Italian No.4 Long Branch rifles hit the surplus market a few years ago, except all the bolts were mixed up.

If you search the forum, there have been extensive postings from another Sexton rebuilder detailing his progress with great photos.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 24-04-13, 19:04
Brian Asbury

Default Sexton manuals

Hello Mario,
Congratulations on your project. I have sent you a PM regarding manual for your Sexton. I have reproduced the Illustrated Parts List (366 pages) and the Operator's Manual (281 pages). .... Brian
Old 25-04-13, 02:56
Sean Deren

Some More Pix Please!!

Although our project has been stalled at the moment, we are restoring #130. There is a thread on the forum here. http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/sh...ghlight=Sexton

Post more pix!!

SD
Old 25-04-13, 08:49

Thank you very much for gratulations. Here are some more pictures. When I was buying it, one italian said that this one is canadian, because of some part at the back of vehicle,but I didn t understand him, so I am not sure.
Attached Thumbnails
21032011284.jpg   IMG_0147.jpg   IMG_0154.jpg   IMG_2181.JPG  
Attached Images

Old 25-04-13, 08:51

And here some pictures about 3 weeks old, now is interior almost completely painted.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3508.JPG   IMG_3547.JPG   IMG_3548.JPG   IMG_3549.JPG  
Old 23-06-13, 19:24
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario Simeon View Post
I am also not able to find any history about this Sexton, so I must to make a decision between canadian or british markings, but it looks that I will decide to country of made. But any help with this is very welcomed.
Quote:
When I was buying it, one italian said that this one is canadian, because of some part at the back of vehicle,but I didn t understand him, so I am not sure.
Mario, welcome to this forum first of all.

Not sure if this is your question, but the Sexton 25-pdr Self Propelled Gun was manufactured in Canada, using parts made in the USA (engine, gearbox, etc). They were both delivered to, and used by, Canadian and British artillery units.

See Sexton serial numbers and Sherman Register > Serial numbers for more information about serial numbers. If you look up the Shop No. on the rear hull (stamped below the starter handle hole, range from 1 to 2150), we might be able to tell you more about it's history.

Regards,
Hanno
Old 26-06-13, 11:07

Quote:
I am also not able to find any history about this Sexton, so I must to make a decision between Canadian or British markings, but it looks that I will decide to country of made. But any help with this is very welcomed.
The vast majority of Sextons were made for the British account. Th Canadian Army used them only in Canada and NW Europe, there were no Canadian Sextons in Italy. 8th Field Regiment used M7 Priests in Italy, and only received its Sextons in Belgium in March 1945. Canada retained 211 Sextons after the War. They were given away as NATO Mutual Aid between 1953 and 1957, to my knowledge most were given to Portugal.

I had not known that Italy regunned its Sextons with 105s.
Old 08-07-13, 03:43

Default Canadian made Sexton

I would say go with Canadian Markings haha I only say this because my Grandfather and his brother served on this gun during the war with the 23rd Field Regiment Royal Canadian Artillery. You may have seen a post or two in other forums here. I have their complete history uploaded on you tube. Very nice project you have, it is only a dream that I have one some day.
Old 08-07-13, 03:53

Default Canadian made Sexton

Mario, the Sexton was produced at the Montreal Locomotive works in Canada. I couldn't find much info on the place but I believe I found some pictures from Archives of Canada web site. Maybe you will be able to find more Info than me.
Old 16-07-13, 09:21

Hi all and thank you very much for all posts, sorry for my late reaction. Now the sexton starts on button, better than my modern car . I also attached pictures how it looks today and on one picture wah hit by german STUG III , brownings 0.50 cals are just for show, but i know that italians were using them with 105mm M4 howitzer.

The serial number is 1953.

Roger, so you know that there is no chance that this sexton was left in Italy by Canadians, so there are just 2 options :
1., it s british
2., or it s one of those who were given away in 1953/1957
or?

MrBNaylor, I saw the document : It s excellent, I really love to see everything from WW2-west side, especially when I can see and hear people who fought for our freedom, and as a cherry on cake in Sexton
Is it possible to buy it or download in some way? Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
_NIK1592.jpg   _NIK1673.jpg   _NIK1594.jpg   _DSC0343.JPG  

Last edited by Mario Simeon; 16-07-13 at 09:32.
Old 13-08-13, 11:45

Default Slovakian event - Slovak lands 2013

Hello, here s the video from last week, enjoy , last step is to wait for certificate and I ll be finally able to shoot real blank ammo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=0LgmF4lVPNU
Old 11-09-13, 17:00

Excellent job!
Old 13-09-13, 15:39

Default Sexton in Italy - Gothic Line

http://www.cultura.marche.it/cultura...Prz1=&cmpPrz2=

Tim
Old 13-09-13, 18:53
Terry Warner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBNaylor View Post
Mario, the Sexton was produced at the Montreal Locomotive works in Canada. I couldn't find much info on the place but I believe I found some pictures from Archives of Canada web site. Maybe you will be able to find more Info than me.
The MLW factory building doesn`t exist anymore. The former site was Dickson Street and Souligny Avenue in East end Montreal, coincidently a few blocks from Longue Pointe Garrison and its enormous supply and maintenance depots.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montreal_Locomotive_Works

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 07-07-14, 15:43

Default Shooot

And I proudly present How my sexton shoots It is really a lot of fun, every shot = 1 kg of gun powder.

And here is video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msw6w3b2dcs

And here is the video from show, which we are organizing. The name is Tankove dni Laugaricio, in english Tank Days Laugaricio :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scq3zw31AuY
Attached Thumbnails
Sexton_shoots_ODT.jpg  

Last edited by Mario Simeon; 07-07-14 at 15:53.
Old 26-08-16, 14:25

very cool Picture. Looking forward to meet you in Slovakia next year!
Old 06-09-16, 05:45

Hi Mario, sorry for some reason I haven't received any notifications from this thread in the last 3 years and I just get one now. I thought no one had commented on this anymore and I haven't been on here since. Hard to imagine its been so long. Well if you haven't already, please feel free to down load the video, all rights are reserved from Imperial War museum on the ww2 footage so I dont make any money from this. The document that I put together on my grandfather's 23rd Field Regiment S.P. RCA can be shared for educational purpose, no problem at all. Glad you enjoyed it and once again sorry for this huge delay. Looks like you are doing well with your Sexton. I will check out the videos you posted. Hope all is well.
Old 06-09-16, 05:56

Mario, just watched Tank days and loved it. I've been living some tanks days myself here in Edmonton Alberta with the Lord Strathcona's Horse (Royal Canadians). My first year at regiment, my job was driving the Leopard 2 which was a great time. Too bad I never received these notifications back then. This show would be an awesome event to see in person if I could manage to get back to Europe. I will check in here a little more often.