MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Armour Forum

Notices

Old 11-06-04, 04:45
RIP

Default Kangaroo at the CWM

On June 9 the CWM received a Ram tank from Belgium. Upon inspection it appears to be a Kangaroo. This is based on;
the turret was sitting on top of the tank as an after-thought (not in the raceway, etc...); the interior of the tank is painted green; the interior has a bracket for a second No.19 set; the ammo racks etc.. have been removed; and, the gunners seat has been removed. The tank still shows remnants of the formation symbol (171 on a green over brown field with a white bar below). This is, I believe, the HQ Squadron of the 1st Cdn Armd Bde. Question is - assuming everything is as surmised - why would this unit have a Kangaroo?
Old 11-06-04, 13:56
Real Deal Paintball

I have an 8x10 of this on my wall above my desk so it is easier to see than in his photo, so you'll have to trust me on this one. If you look at the top left corner you'll see a mass of AFVs sitting parked. They are Ram Kangaroos being used, I suppose, as ammunition carriers.

Cheers!

Dana
Old 11-06-04, 15:57
Senior Forum Member

Default Re: Kangaroo at the CWM

Quote:
Originally posted by servicepub
On June 9 the CWM received a Ram tank from Belgium. Upon inspection it appears to be a Kangaroo. This is based on;
the turret was sitting on top of the tank as an after-thought (not in the raceway, etc...); the interior of the tank is painted green; the interior has a bracket for a second No.19 set; the ammo racks etc.. have been removed; and, the gunners seat has been removed. The tank still shows remnants of the formation symbol (171 on a green over brown field with a white bar below). This is, I believe, the HQ Squadron of the 1st Cdn Armd Bde. Question is - assuming everything is as surmised - why would this unit have a Kangaroo?
It may very well have been an ammunition carrier for the Bde HQ defence troop, but I think it may have started service with Bde HQ has a Command tank, maybe rear link prehaps, just my thoughts, be interested to hear what it was actually used for by Bde HQ.

Cheers
Old 11-06-04, 16:15
RIP

Default Kangaroo?

The CWM Kangaroo doesn't appear to have been used in the ammunition carrier role as it never had the required racks installed inside. Neither the ammo carrier or AVRE roles would explain the bracket for 2nd No.19 radio.
Curioser and curioser..
Old 14-06-04, 16:21
MLU Administrator

Default Re: Kangaroo at the CWM

Quote:
Originally posted by servicepub
Clive, good news! Would you happen to have a photo? I'm 99% sure it is the Ram Kangaroo I helped locate for a collector about a decade ago. It has Montreal Locomotive Works Shop No.1112 and War Department Census No. CT-40892. The picture below shows it while on a range in England in the mid-1980s. Together with the Ram in the background it was acquired by a military vehicle parts dealer who also sourced a incorrect turret (earlier type) for it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	kangar02.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	127959
Source: https://www.mapleleafup.nl/g104/kangaroo.htm

He never got round to doing anything with it so it was then bought by someone who was involved in the Mill project, who later decided to sell it again. I was sorry to see it go, but I am happy to hear the rumours confirmed that it ended up with the CWM. Now if only they will restore it to running condition before all the vets of the 1st Canadian Armoured Carrier Regiment have faded away...

As for the remnants of the formation symbol - the HQ Squadron of the 1st Cdn Armd Bde must have used this Ram while it was still a tank, which was later converted into a Kangaroo after they had converted to Sherman tanks.
Old 14-06-04, 16:42
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Hmmmmm

May it not also have been an armoured gun tower for a 17 pdr? If not a Wallaby with racks removed, it could have been just about any of these minor variatons on the same theme...
Old 14-06-04, 17:50
MLU Administrator

Default Re: Hmmmmm

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
May it not also have been an armoured gun tower for a 17 pdr? If not a Wallaby with racks removed, it could have been just about any of these minor variatons on the same theme...
According to a listing of "Ram Tanks on Canadian Census Charge" dated 28 July 1945 (sent to me by Don Dingwall), CT-40892 was a "Cruiser" type with location "Stock". Judging by this information, my guess is that CT-40892 was most likely still a Ram Cruiser Tank by the end of WW2, struck off charge by the Canadian Army in the UK and then snapped up by the British Army, deturreted and used as a Kangaroo after WW2.

H.
Old 14-06-04, 18:04
Senior Forum Member

Default Re: Re: Hmmmmm

Quote:
Originally posted by Hanno Spoelstra
Judging by this information, my guess is that CT-40892 was most likely still a Ram Cruiser Tank by the end of WW2, struck off charge by the Canadian Army in the UK and then snapped up by the British Army, deturreted and used as a Kangaroo after WW2.
Or maybe has a target tower or an armoured Range Staff vehicle by the British Army, just a thought.

Cheers
Old 14-06-04, 21:38
MLU Administrator

Default Re: Re: Re: Hmmmmm

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark W. Tonner
Or maybe has a target tower or an armoured Range Staff vehicle by the British Army, just a thought.
Nice thought, but unlikely, as I think for either role one would prefer the protection of a turreted vehicle. Remember, the turret that is with it now wasn't originally on it (and it's missing the turret ring).

H.
Old 14-06-04, 22:15
Senior Forum Member

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Hmmmmm

Quote:
Originally posted by Hanno Spoelstra
Nice thought, but unlikely, as I think for either role one would prefer the protection of a turreted vehicle. Remember, the turret that is with it now wasn't originally on it (and it's missing the turret ring).
Like I said, just a thought (and I meant without the turret). By the way Hanno, welcome back, I see you survived your trip to Normandy, hope it was enjoyable!

Cheers