MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > BUY, TRADE or SELL > For Sale Or Wanted

Notices

Old 18-01-15, 03:34

Default source for brown tarps needed

Guys, it seems that there is a DIY store chain in Canada that sells brown cotton tarpaulins.

Down here, all the stores sell this yellowish fabric tarp or else the plastic ones.

I need to find the store chain and order some tarps for the fabric.

Can anyone point me to the store?

Thanks!
Old 18-01-15, 04:30

Thumbs up Brown Canvas

Jim: You're referring to Princess Auto whose head office in Winnipeg Manitoba. Now they have sales on every week and the sale start Tuesdays of every week. They also have on line sales, so I would Google them and see what is the best way to service your needs are. If you have any problems or need help, drop me a PM. Good luck....Robert
Old 18-01-15, 04:58

Default Caution....

The brown tarps at Princess Auto are not color fast...... the soya sauce used to dye them quickly fades to a marbled beige(depending on the creases) in one Summer......

I would redye them with a home made dye made from walnut husks and 50% water 50% methyl Hydrate..... will also stain your fingers/skin for 2 weeks...colour can be set by quickly soaking the dark tarp in a salty brine solution then rinced in cold water.

Ah withcraft....!!!!
Canada
Old 18-01-15, 05:38

Default Another one......

I forgot......it's a part of getting older! For all those out there, especially Jim....check out the Chicago Canvas and Supply Company. Firstly, they have a vast array of colors and canvas sizes. Secondly, they have they have some pretty sharp pricing and delivery prices. Thirdly, the will do some custom sewing to size, with a small up charge.....AS LONG AS IT'S SQUARE OR RECTANGLE! Otherwise your doing it yourself. They also have the Flame retardant features. Check it out Jim, may save you cross the border shipping. However....now that I think of it, the dollar difference may be worth looking at. Princess Autos Canvas is manufactured in India. I think and stand corrected that Chicago's canvas is manufactured in the USA. Again ....check it out.

Did I mention that while writing this out, I washed my wallet and everything in it, in the laundry. You owe me Jim! Robert
Old 18-01-15, 05:47

Default Jeezus Mary and Joseph....

Walnut husks and Methyl Hydrate.....you've too much time on yer hands Robert. See you in church tamarraw. R.
Old 18-01-15, 05:51

Default bad joke

Ya blew yer punch line Bob "WITCH" yer spelling! R.
Old 18-01-15, 22:46

Thanks for the leads guys! I went with Chicago Canvas in the end as they had tarp canvas by the yard for US$ 6.00 for 5 foot width.

If I bought a finished tarp, I would have been cutting off the edges and grommets anyway, so went with just the fabric.

We will see how it all adds up to make up the Dingo roof.

Thanks again!!
Old 18-01-15, 23:29

Jim

I don't know what your intended use for those wretched tarps are, but from experience if it involves being outside and cycled from dry to wet and back and a bit of ultra violet light mixed in the lifespan is, well, short.

Trust me, they are sold through a surplus store for a reason.

Robin
Old 19-01-15, 02:09

You look in the oddest places to find something that matches kit that hasn't been made in 70 years! <g>

But the Chicago Canvas site sells Brown 16 oz cotton canvas that should match the original Dingo top I am building for a friend.

I will need to waterproof it after sewing of course, but should pass muster....