MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > The Wireless Forum

Notices

Old 04-03-16, 23:22
GM Fox I

Default Wireless of the Week - week 3

This week is a little known Canadian hand held transceiver. The Wireless Set Canadian 27, made by Rogers-Majestic Ltd. in 1943 was a very small, waterproof set for short range R/T (voice) working in forward areas. There is little evidence these sets were used operationally and the serial numbers on surviving examples suggest there were few made.

The frequency range was from 21 to 39 Megahertz, however this was accomplished in four distinct bands by inserting a plug in coil for each band. The tuning control was graduated in 7 steps and, for the two lower coils, each available frequency could only be set on an odd number. The two higher coils allowed frequencies on all 7 graduations. To the operator things would go well so long as all the sets on the net had the same coil, and his job was simplified by not having to worry about what frequency in 'megacycles' he was actually on. Coils were carried in a spares box and were inserted into a socket inside the radio itself. Access was by unscrewing a butterfly nut on the bottom of the set, removing the lower cap and sliding the set from its case. The sender and receiver both tuned by way of the single tuning dial and there was no volume control. The on/off switch was actuated by the telescoping aerial. When the aerial was extended, the set was switched on. When netting in close quarters, the instructions say only the control station should have its aerial extend all the way and the remaining sets aerials should only be extended about 3" to actuate the 'on' switch.

The set was 10" by 2-1/2" by 3-1/2" and weighed 4 lbs. It's range was 1/2 mile. The battery provided H.T and L.T. voltages and was to be replaced if the voltages were less than 66 volts and 1.1 volts respectively.

The entire station consisted of the following: a transceiver with an American SCR-536 'walkie-talkie' style pressel switch, built in mic, 54" telescoping aerial and an adjustable web carrying strap; a battery box connected to the transceiver that had an earphone set attached to its lid and; a spares box resembling the battery box for the coils, spare valves and fuse. These last items were carried in a 'Satchel, Signals' slung over the operators shoulder or in battledress pockets.
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg   2A.jpg   3.jpg   4A.jpg   5.jpg  

Last edited by Bruce Parker (RIP); 06-03-16 at 00:39. Reason: Better info from Bruce MacMillan
Old 05-03-16, 01:49
M38A1 CDN3

I'm enjoying this thread of Bruce's wireless sets.

C'mon 52!
Old 05-03-16, 17:35
a Canuck/Brit in Blighty

Great series Bruce.

The WS27 (Can) failed for the same reason the WS58 failed. They were designed by the same person who gave very little thought to wartime battery supply.

I believe there were under 1000 units made by Addison Industries in Toronto.

I've never seen that spares kit before. It almost looks like one for the WS58.
It must have two 1291 and six 1T4 tubes as they were the final production model. The original I think used 4 tubes.

The spares kit for mine uses the same case as the radio & battery. Tubes & coils fit in a felt holder that slides into the case.

They were never issued to the field but shortly after the set was cancelled Combined Operations wanted to buy 600 units. They liked the fact that it operated outside the typical military HF frequencies. Ottawa declined and they were sold off surplus.
Attached Thumbnails
ws27spare1.jpg   ws27spare2.jpg  
Old 06-03-16, 00:48
GM Fox I

Bruce, thanks for your input and pics. You're absolutely right!! That spares box is for a 58 set. I was fooled because it came with my 27 set and the real spares box was empty (I confess to having never removed the valves from the felt before...). That, plus the 58 spare valves were carried in the lid of the VPU and the 58 set manual doesn't show another spares box. In hindsight it does make sense because an operator would need spares if he was using only the 'battle battery'. I'll cover this in more detail when I do my segment on the 58.

I have updated the original post and replaced the pictures with correct ones.

Oh, and Jon...are you suggesting I do the 52 out of sequence? I was rather saving it for the end as it would make a spectacular 'grand finale'. Ah, what the heck, I'll bump it forward just for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce MacMillan View Post
Great series Bruce.

The WS27 (Can) failed for the same reason the WS58 failed. They were designed by the same person who gave very little thought to wartime battery supply.

I believe there were under 1000 units made by Addison Industries in Toronto.

I've never seen that spares kit before. It almost looks like one for the WS58.
It must have two 1291 and six 1T4 tubes as they were the final production model. The original I think used 4 tubes.

The spares kit for mine uses the same case as the radio & battery. Tubes & coils fit in a felt holder that slides into the case.

They were never issued to the field but shortly after the set was cancelled Combined Operations wanted to buy 600 units. They liked the fact that it operated outside the typical military HF frequencies. Ottawa declined and they were sold off surplus.

Last edited by Bruce Parker (RIP); 06-03-16 at 00:54.
Old 06-03-16, 13:45
Geoff Truscott

Interesting Set, surprising how Canadian Wireless sets advanced in leaps and bounds during WW2. Funny how lack of a battery would scuttle the whole effort.

Geoff
Old 06-03-16, 14:57
a Canuck/Brit in Blighty

You would have thought that a radio design might take into account current production of a battery. For instance the WS18, 46, 48 & 68 all used the same battery. This was made by the tens of thousands and was in supply in most theatres of war.

The WS27 & 58 used unique voltages where the battery produced was a one of. When manufacturing capacity was maxed out after the US entered the war the lead time for a small run was excessive. By the time sufficient quantities were made the war was almost over and other radios had been adopted.

I agree the technology was good, in some cases better than what was available. The designer didn't look at the big picture.
Old 06-03-16, 16:32
Geoff Truscott

Found an article on Don Hings WS27, WS58, seems it might have had something to do with the modulation(not that I understand what that is) but he mentions it was what made the sets possible in the first place, perhaps that is why it required a unique type power source. Battery consumption was greatly reduced, as well as the weight of the equipment, ranges seem to be greater than similar USA and British equipment.

Geoff

http://www.hyperstealth.com/DonHings...evelopment.PDF

Last edited by Johnny Canuck; 06-03-16 at 16:59.
Old 06-03-16, 17:59
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce MacMillan View Post
You would have thought that a radio design might take into account current production of a battery. For instance the WS18, 46, 48 & 68 all used the same battery. This was made by the tens of thousands and was in supply in most theatres of war.
The WS38 could also use that battery, presumably via an adapter or by changing the plug on the set, and the "Amplifier, Field Telephone, No.1" (used to turn a standard field telephone into the equivalent of the Tele-F High Power for long/poor lines) also made use of it.

Chris.
Old 06-03-16, 18:29

Here are some photos of the satchel my 27-Set came with, showing the chunkier design, as opposed to the standard Satchel Signals. That is an Operator's Instructions Card tucked into the vinyl sleeve inside the cover. I bought this set at the Tail Gate Sale at the Vancouver MVPA Convention a few years ago. It came from a local Scout Troop that had been using a bunch of them at field events for years.

The last photo is battery related information. Inside the battery case should be a linen reinforced, waxed cardboard sleeve, with a green cotton strap fitted all the way around it. The part number on the face of this sleeve is "P 13029 N". The Eveready Battery slips snugly into this sleeve and the whole assembly is lowered into the battery case. The top of the battery has a four pin socket fitted that the power feed plug connects to. The sleeve assembly allows for easy removal of the battery. This particular battery is dated 1 SEPT 43. The socket and internal battery wiring are on the right end of the photo.

Filament voltage went to the two closer spaced pins (1.5 Volts). 90 Volts went to the two outer pins to drive the set. Interestingly, this identical voltage setup was used in the American Mine Detector Set SCR-625 Series. In it, a D-Cell provided the 1.5 Volts and a stick battery provided the 90 Volts. When you take apart one of these stick batteries, you find four 22 Volt Photoflash batteries connected in series.

For those of you not familiar with the 22-Volt Photoflash battery, it is dimensionally and visually identical to a standard 9-Volt battery. However, it does not have two terminals at one end. There is one spring style strip terminal across each end. You DO NOT want to be holding these things in your hand! If you have a camera shop in town that has been around since the 70's, that is your best starting point to find these batteries. They probably run the high side of $15 to $20 each these days, but four of them, and a good AA Cell will get your 27-Set back on the air with no problem.

David
Attached Thumbnails
27-Set Satchel A.jpg   27-Set Satchel B.jpg   27-Set Satchel C.jpg   27-Set Battery Parts.jpg  
Old 06-03-16, 18:53

Further to my babbling in Post 9.

I just noticed on a pair of PRC 25/77 Set batteries, they have a nearly identical socket on them to the one used on the 27-Set battery. It has one extra hole on the side and a central key hole, but the basic four pin pattern of the 27-Set battery looks to be there around the circumference of the socket. If so, these dud batteries are all over the web dirt cheap and may prove a source of supply for the sockets and wiring needed to resurrect your 27-Set.

If somebody gets around to checking it out, let us know.

David
Old 06-03-16, 22:30
GM Fox I

Nice set Dave, and I have to think your 'satchel. signals' is purpose built for the No.27. Interesting too that the style of the painted number on your set and the '49' on mine are a similar style. I wonder if they came from the same source?

Last edited by Bruce Parker (RIP); 06-03-16 at 23:13. Reason: from...FROM...
Old 07-03-16, 01:16

It's Sunday evening. I am supposed to be studying. Why and I doing this?

Oh well! :roll eyes

Just had another look at my 27-Set. The only marking of any kind I can find on the entire satchel is the number "4135" stamped dead centre on the inside bottom of the satchel in black ink. The number is 1.25 inches long and the height is 0.375 inches.

The carry strap is virtually identical to that on my 58-Set canvas bag for the Dry Battery.

The other monumental discovery (for me at least) was that the headphones installed on my 27-Set, are the same Dominion Electrohome manufactured 'IND' headphones as came with my 58-Set. Thin profile, with thin greenish rubber ear cups designed to fit under the combat helmet, with the same leather thong, metal fobbed adjustable chin strap. My 27-Set is 1943 production, Serial Number 911

The main components of my 58-Set were manufactured between 10 August 1943 and 07 February 1944, for what it is worth.

Now back to the books.

David