MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 07-09-16, 14:33

Default Lindsay Steel Body Construction

Hi

I am just wondering if somebody could please explain to me what Lindsay Construction is. I'm reading William Gregg's book Blueprint For Victory and in a couple of places this is mentioned, in reference to steel body building. Is it simply another name for a steel skinned wooden framed body, or steel skinned steel framed body, as compared to a wooden framed wooden body or a steel framed wooden body. I'd like to know, if somebody could please explain.

Thanks
Old 07-09-16, 15:33

Default Lindsay bodies

PM sent

Gord
Old 08-09-16, 21:30
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra View Post
This link is interesting an provided me further info to search further. Just typing "Lindsay body" in Google get you endless hits, but these have not much to do wit the subject here.

It seems the correct designation is Lindsay Structure, being a method of constructing all-steel vehicle bodies, which could be manufactured by various firms. One is Toronto's Wilson Motor Body / The Wilson Motor Bodies, as featured in the link above.

No pictures of CMPs with Lindsay type bodies, but a reference is there:
Quote:
Wilson Motor Bodies eventually relocated to larger quarters located at 1153 Queen Street West (at Abell), and when Canada started preparing for Great Britain’s entry into the Second World War, they received numerous government contracts, of which several included the manufacture of truck cabs and service bodies for CMP military vehicles supplied to Britain within the Lend-Lease program.

[...]

An article in a 1945 issue of Roads and Bridges announced the firm’s plans for post-war production:

“Mr. Shanahan at the same time announced that his company are now starting production for civilian use of the Lindsay Structure all-steel sectional bodies for truck and truck trailer chassis, ....

“During the past few years Wilson Motor Bodies Ltd. have manufactured a large number of Lindsay Structure bodies for army trucks, but are just completing the first units ever offered in Canada for civilian use. This body, says Mr. Shanahan, offers particular advantages for rapid and inexpensive repairs, as the panels ate bolted in place and can be easily removed or replaced.

Click image for larger version

Name:	oo1947_wilson_brochure1.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	84865 Click image for larger version

Name:	oo1947_wilson_brochure2.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	84866 Click image for larger version

Name:	oo1947_wilson_brochure3.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	84867
Old 08-09-16, 21:37
MLU Administrator

Another supplier was the "Hercules Body Sales Company" of Columbus, Ohio.

See their sales brochure for sale on ebay here.

Name:	SAM_0816_0004.JPG
Size:	205.9 KB
ID:	84868 Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0828_0005.jpg
Size:	163.8 KB
ID:	84869 Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0830_0005.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	84870
Old 08-09-16, 21:45
MLU Administrator

And a further search even yielded Mr. Lindsay's patent US 2263510 A!

1941- H. B. LINDSAY HOUSING STRUCTURE 4 Sheets-Sheet l Filed Jan. 26, 1938 Nov. 18, 1941: https://www.google.com/patents/US2263510

It contains interesting notes on its construction and drawings.

Hope this is of interest,
Hanno

Name:	US2263510-0.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	84871 Click image for larger version

Name:	US2263510-1.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	84872 Click image for larger version

Name:	US2263510-2.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	84873 Click image for larger version

Name:	US2263510-3.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	84874
Old 08-09-16, 21:55

Default Lyndsay Steel Bodies

Hi

Thanks very much for this most interesting I am now a lot more informed on the subject and understand it much better. Ah yes Hanno you right just typing Lyndsay Body into The Google is not very helpful unless you want to look at Lyndsay Lohan all day!

The brochures, links and posts are all very interesting, but I guess this all begs the question who was Lyndsay, sorry I had to ask. I might assume he (again I assume this too) took out the patent on this idea and licensed it to various people, amongst others Wilson Motor Bodies of Canada, hence them ending up on CMP's

Thanks again

Matt
Old 08-09-16, 21:56

Hanno

You just answered my question then!

Thanks

Matt
Old 08-09-16, 22:05

Hi Again

H B Lyndsay is Harvey B Lyndsay, I tried looking him up on Google, and oh no! more pictures of you know who, whose only attribution to motor bodies seems to be to twist them out of shape. anyway it appears that Havey B worked for Dry Zero Corp. and there is a page on ebay for one of their newsletters (see http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dry-Zero-Cor...-/390733799552 ) if your interested. It appears Dry Zero Corp were into the manufacture of ice cream trucks before WWII. So Harvey's bodies may have originally come from a better way to build insulated structures, before being applied to general body building

Matt

Last edited by mlombard; 08-09-16 at 22:10. Reason: some wrong info
Old 08-09-16, 22:24
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlombard View Post
it appears that Havey B worked for Dry Zero Corp. and there is a page on ebay for one of their newsletters (see http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dry-Zero-Cor...-/390733799552 ) if your interested. It appears Dry Zero Corp were into the manufacture of ice cream trucks before WWII. So Harvey's bodies may have originally come from a better way to build insulated structures, before being applied to general body building
I guess you're right as Harvey B Lyndsay writes in his patent application: "The invention has application to a wide range of housing structures including refrigerator structures especially of the transport type, and passenger and freight car bodies." (my bold). Lindsay's other patents are also related to refrigeration, or rather, insulation.

PS: it seems Google's algorithms aren't so smart as we all think, as they would show far fewer compound curved Lindsay bodies - that was the beauty of the Lindsay Structure body, subject of our discussion here
Old 08-09-16, 22:56

Smile Lyndsay Steel Bodies

all I can say!
Old 09-09-16, 12:17

Hi

I reckon that there might be an article in this with a great title like:

When The Ice Cream Truck Went To War, Harvey B Lyndsay and the Lyndsay Structure, How the ice cream truck ended up on the front line
Old 09-09-16, 23:20
MLU Administrator

Lindsay Structure Mobile Command Post ad on ebay

Quote:
1943 Lindsay & Lindsay Chicago IL Ad: Lindsay Structure Mobile Command Post

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	240.5 KB
ID:	84911

Magazine Advertisement Description

Ad Caption: "These 4 advantages of the LS method of steel construction speed up production of combat bodies".

Source: Commercial Car Journal Magazine (October 1943) (Inv#-magads9452)

Condition: This magazine ad print is in very good condition. Some ads are larger then our scanner, so it may appear the ad page is cropped down.

Dimensions: A full-page black and white ad - measuring approximately 8.00" wide by 11.25" tall.