MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 22-05-05, 05:53
Vets Dottir

Default Ww2 Rca Gunner

Hi Folks,

Would like to know where and what an RCA GUNNER saw and did, and where, throughout WW2. Just to have an idea about my Grannies brother (yes, Uncle Eddie's Uncle, for those who are wondering if this is about yet another of my relations )

Thanks for any replies

Karmen
Old 22-05-05, 13:28
Commonwealth NOT Europe

You do come up with some great questions don't you? Hard to be specific in an answer too.
By RCA I assume you mean Royal Canadian Artillery? If so then he could have served anywhere from the desert of North Africa , to Italy, or to Germany via Normandy & Holland. As to what he did, it would depend on which unit and what equipment, but basically he would have been involved in maintaining, laying, loading and firing the guns or perhaps in communications / radio.

Bob, Chrissie's cousin (once removed) was with the 4th Canadian Armoured Division ( If memory serves me correct it was 15 Field Regiment, with 25pdrs). He landed on D+3 and fought through France, Belgium and Holland; including the infamous battles around the Scheldt Estuary.

A wasted youth is better by far than a wise and productive old age!! (Meatloaf)
Old 22-05-05, 14:13

Default Ubique

Hello VD,

As an ex-gunner I would be happy to answer your question. The Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery has only one battle honour. It is Ubique, which means everywhere.
Gunners served in the Field and Medium regiments, Anti-tank regiments, light and heavy Anti-aircraft regiments. Below is a listing of the Artillery units of First Canadian Army as of 8 May 1945.

H.Q. R.CA. First Canadian Army

11th Army Field Regiment
-9th Field Battery
-29th Field Battery
-40th Field Battery

19th Army Field Regiment
-55th Field Battery
-63rd Field Battery
-99th Field Battery

2nd H.A.A. Regiment
-1st H.A.A. Battery
-8th H.A.A. Battery
-11th H.A.A. Battery

1st Rocket Battery

664 Air O.P. Squadron

665 Air O.P. Squadron

1st Radar Battery

1st Army Met Group

1st Calibration Troop

16th A.A. Operations Room

H.Q. R.C.A. 1st Canadian Corps

1st Survey Regiment
-1st Survey Battery
-2nd Survey Battery

7th Anti-Tank Regiment
-15th Anti-Tank Battery
-104th Anti-Tank Battery
-111th Anti-Tank Battery
-113th Anti-Tank Battery

1st Canadian L.A.A. Regiment
-35th L.A.A. Battery
-89th L.A.A. Battery
-109th L.A.A. Battery

1st Counter Battery Office Staff

H.Q. R.C.A. 1st Canadian Infantry Division

1st Field Regiment R.C.H.A.
-A Battery R.C.H.A.
-B Battery R.C.H.A.
-C Battery R.C.HA.

2nd Field Regiment
-7th Field Battery
-8th Field Battery
-10th Field Battery

3rd Field Regiment
-19th Field Battery
-77th Field Battery
-92nd Field Battery

1st Anti-Tank Regiment
-27th Anti-Tank Battery
-51st Anti-Tank Battery
-57th Anti-Tank Battery
-90th Anti-Tank Battery

2nd L.A.A. Regiment
-2nd L.A.A. Battery
-5th I.A.A. Battery
-54th L.A.A. Battery

1st Counter Mortar Office Staff

H.Q. R.C.A. 5th Canadian Armoured Division

8th Field Regiment (S.P.)
-61st Field Battery
-71st Field Battery
-107th Field Battery

17th Field Regiment
-37th Field Battery
-60th Field Battery
-76th Field Battery

4th Anti-Tank Regiment
-16th Anti-Tank Battery
-49th Anti-Tank Battery
-82nd Anti-Tank Battery
-98th Anti-Tank Battery

5th L.A.A. Regiment
-41st L.A.A. Battery
-47th L.A.A. Battery
-88th L.A.A. Battery

5th Counter Mortar Office Staff

H.Q. 1st Canadian Army Group R.A.

1st Medium Regiment
-2nd Medium Battery
-3rd Medium Battery

2nd Medium Regiment
-18th Medium Battery
-25th Medium Battery

5th Medium Regiment
-7th Medium Battery
-23rd Medium Battery

H.Q. R.C.A. 2nd Canadian Corps

2nd Survey Regiment
-5th Survey Battery
-6th Survey Battery

6th Anti-Tank Regiment
-33rd Anti-Tank Battery
-56th Anti-Tank Battery
-74th Anti-Tank Battery
-103rd Anti-Tank Battery

6th L.A.A. Regiment
-1st L.A.A. Battery
-30th L.A.A. Battery
-112th L.A.A. Battery

2nd Counter Battery Office Staff

H.Q. R.C.A. 2nd Canadian Infantry Division

4th Field Regiment
-2nd Field Battery
-14th Field Battery
-26th Field Battery

5th Field Regiment
-5th Field Battery
-28th Field Battery
-73rd Field Battery

6th Field Regiment
-13th Field Battery
-21st Field Battery
-91st Field Battery

2nd Anti-Tank Regiment
-18th Anti-Tank Battery
-20th Anti-Tank Battery
-23rd Anti-Tank Battery
-108th Anti-Tank Battery

3rd L.A.A. Regiment
-16th L.A.A. Battery
-17th L.A.A. Battery
-38th LA.A. Battery

2nd Counter Mortar Office Staff

H.Q. R.C.A. 3rd Canadian Infantry Division

12th Field Regiment
-11th Field Battery
-16th Field Battery
-43rd Field Battery

13th Field Regiment
-22nd Field Battery
-44th Field Battery
-78th Field Battery

14th Field Regiment
-34th Field Battery
-66th Field Battery
-81st Field Battery

3rd Anti-Tank Regiment
-4th Anti-Tank Battery
-52nd Anti-Tank Battery
-94th Anti-Tank Battery
-105th Anti-Tank Battery

4th L.A.A. Regiment
-32nd L.A.A. Battery
-69th L.A.A. Battery
-100th L.A.A. Battery

3rd Counter Mortar Office Staff

H.Q. R.C.A. 4th Canadian Armoured Division
15th Field Regiment
-17th Field Battery
-95th Field Battery
-110th Field Battery

23rd Field Regiment (S.P.)
-31st Field Battery
-36th Field Battery
-83rd Field Battery

5th Anti-Tank Regiment
-3rd Anti-Tank Battery
-14th Anti-Tank Battery
-65th Anti-Tank Battery
-96th Anti-Tank Battery

8th L.A.A. Regiment
-70th L.A.A. Battery
-101st L.A.A. Battery
-102nd L.A.A. Battery

4th Counter Mortar Office Staff

H.Q. 2nd Canadian Army Group R.A.

3rd Medium Regiment
-5th Medium Battery
-87th Medium Battery

4th Medium Regiment
-50th Medium Battery
-58th Medium Battery

7th Medium Regiment
-12th Medium Battery
-45th Medium Battery

Last edited by John McGillivray; 22-05-05 at 22:13.
Old 23-05-05, 08:38
Art Johnson

Default Arty

Karmen,"who loves you baby" but lassie you can sure come up with the questions
I am not a gunner but did serve with 6pdr A/T guns. Basicaly, and I stand to be corrected, there are two types of ammunition, Qwick fire and charged.
Qwick fire include the old 2pdr, 6pdr, 17pdr and 75mm mostly used on tanks. Qwick fire ammunition has the projectile attached to the cartridge casing
The 25pdr used by most Canadian Field Guns units was refered to as a Gun-How. It had the characteristics of a field gun as well as a Howitzer. It had a crew of 6 plus a driver.
Surprisingly enough the recall for the driver was the old semifore signal "H" for Horses.
The crew consisted of an aimer, a No. 2 who was resposible for loading, a man on the traverse handle and three people to pass the ammunition plus a Sergeant
The range of the 25pdr was approx 13,000 yards. There are incidents of the Artillery firing over open sights I don't recall any involving the Canadian Artillery.
George Blackburn has an interesting triology of the Artillery. He mentioned the fact of having a thermometor at the Limber site and the tempurature was taken into concideration when plotting a shoot.
Old 23-05-05, 16:18

Karman,

The books by George Blackburn are very good and I strongly recommend that you read them. If you can’t read all three at least get “The Guns of Normandy”. George Blackburn was one of the people interviewed for the show “Canada and the Liberation of Holland” which was shown on Global on Apr. 30th. He was telling about his time he spent in the windmill in Holland. This is also covered in his book “The guns of Victory”. You can still find his books in paperback in bookstores.

Here is a link to the RCA web site.

http://www.artillery.net/english/engstart.htm

There are also the official histories of the RCA, “The Gunners of Canada” (Vols I & II) by G.W.L. Nicholson. Vol II covers the Second World War. These books make for much dryer reading than the Blackburn books. You can still buy then at the RCA kit shop on the link above.

Below are a couple of photos of yours truly. The upper one is in Valcartier in 1974 when I was on the Arty Tech course. The Bty CP belongs to X Bty, 5RALC. The bottom photo is in Shilo Manitoba in 1975. I am the gun commander, between the trails.
Attached Thumbnails
rca0002.jpg  
Old 23-05-05, 17:42
MLU Administrator

Default Blackburn's windmill

Quote:
Originally posted by John McGillivray
The books by George Blackburn are very good and I strongly recommend that you read them. If you can’t read all three at least get “The Guns of Normandy”. George Blackburn was one of the people interviewed for the show “Canada and the Liberation of Holland” which was shown on Global on Apr. 30th. He was telling about his time he spent in the windmill in Holland. This is also covered in his book “The guns of Victory”.
When Geoff was over in Holland a couple of years back, he mentioned he would like to know if that windmill still existed. Guess what? Last May 7th a commemorative plaque honouring Canadians was unveiled by Groesbeek Airborne Friends. Sadly, I only found this out the day after the fact, otherwise I would have made sure I was present...

"George Blackburn of the 4th Field Regiment speaks during the unveiling of a commemorative plaque in front of the windmill which he used as an observation tower during winter of 1944 and 1945. Mr. Blackburn was a Forward Observation Officer (FOO) with the Canadian Army. He is member of the Order of Canada and received the French Legion of Honour."

"The still functioning windmill which George Blackburn of the 4th Field Regiment used as an observation tower during winter of 1944 and 1945. The windmill was built in 1867."

"Mel Squissato greets his friend George Blackburn of the 4th Field Regiment after the plaque unveiling. Mel stayed with George during in the winter of 1944-1945 so that he would not be alone."

"The upper area of the windmill as it looks today."

"The view from the top of the windmill as it looks today."

Source: VAC Year of the Veteran Photo Journal - May 07, 2005
Old 23-05-05, 19:18
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveCox
You do come up with some great questions don't you? Hard to be specific in an answer too.
Ah, yes, the beauty of open-ended questions invites all sorts of replies ... and I can see by the great and informative replies so far that I started another very good thread here that shines light on more of our WW2 history and our Canadian soldiers.

It almost breaks my heart to know that when I knew and visited Uncle JOHN R. VIZNAUGH (1913 - 1974) as a small child, I never knew anything about his service. I do remember I loved his huge beautiful blue eyes and "brushcut" (that should have been a clue : ) and that Mom loved him to pieces ... and I was always mesmerized by him and was excited every time we were heading out to Stoney Point to see visit him too He was a wonderful character ... also made great white lightening and home brew that was much liked and consumed!

I'll have to try and find out Uncle John's Service Record Number somehow. I'd be very interested in getting his service records (hell, I'm interested in getting all my relatives service records, who went off to war)

Uncle John, being Grannies brother, was then also first cousin to brothers who lost their lives, same day, in WW1:

1) Private Archibald James Viznaugh went MIA age 24 `Remembered' on the Vimy Memorial. He was with the Canadian Infantry, Manitoba Regiment, 27th Battalion.

2) Private William Viznaugh, age 18, buried Bapaume Post Military Cemetery. He was with the 1st Canadian Mounted Rifles, Saskatchewan Regiment.

See this thread for more WW1 info:
http://mapleleafup.org/forums/showth...light=Viznaugh

Quote:
By RCA I assume you mean Royal Canadian Artillery?
Thanks Dave, Yes, I've been told from a few that it IS Royal Canadian Artillery

Also thanks for giving me a bit of an overview about some of what Uncle John may have seen/done. Now I REALLY wish I had his service records, to know for sure!

Quote:
Bob, Chrissie's cousin (once removed) was with the 4th Canadian Armoured Division ( If memory serves me correct it was 15 Field Regiment, with 25pdrs). He landed on D+3 and fought through France, Belgium and Holland; including the infamous battles around the Scheldt Estuary.
Wow, to Chrissie's cousin ... I've been watching a LOT of movies and documentaries with Geoff's running commentaries since arriving here that shows/tells a lot about these battles ... and I'm amazed that Chrissie's cousin sounds like he made it all through?

"There but for the grace of god go I " ?

Karmen
Old 23-05-05, 19:34
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Ubique

Quote:
Hello VD,

As an ex-gunner I would be happy to answer your question. The Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery has only one battle honour. It is Ubique, which means everywhere.
Gunners served in the Field and Medium regiments, Anti-tank regiments, light and heavy Anti-aircraft regiments. Below is a listing of the Artillery units of First Canadian Army as of 8 May 1945.
Hello MASTER J-Mac-G,

Thank you for your reply and listing this all for me. I'm now determined to find out where my uncle John fit in along the way ... like what were his actual roles and tasks and where etc. Yep ... I want his service records.

Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery = RCA's new name then?

UBIQUE ... thanks for explaining that one to me John.

As an ex-gunner, then if I read that Bofors thread that has GET THIS ... 6090 VIEWS!!! ... that I'll find you in there?

Karmen
Old 23-05-05, 19:49
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Arty

Quote:
Originally posted by Art Johnson
Karmen,"who loves you baby" but lassie you can sure come up with the questions
I am not a gunner but did serve with 6pdr A/T guns. Basicaly, and I stand to be corrected, there are two types of ammunition, Qwick fire and charged.
Qwick fire include the old 2pdr, 6pdr, 17pdr and 75mm mostly used on tanks. Qwick fire ammunition has the projectile attached to the cartridge casing
The 25pdr used by most Canadian Field Guns units was refered to as a Gun-How. It had the characteristics of a field gun as well as a Howitzer. It had a crew of 6 plus a driver.
Surprisingly enough the recall for the driver was the old semifore signal "H" for Horses.
The crew consisted of an aimer, a No. 2 who was resposible for loading, a man on the traverse handle and three people to pass the ammunition plus a Sergeant
The range of the 25pdr was approx 13,000 yards. There are incidents of the Artillery firing over open sights I don't recall any involving the Canadian Artillery.
George Blackburn has an interesting triology of the Artillery. He mentioned the fact of having a thermometor at the Limber site and the tempurature was taken into concideration when plotting a shoot.
Hi Art, and "Back at you baby"

Thanks a lot for the GUNNERS 101 For Idiots like me ... all very interesting to learn all the details of "all in a days work" on the actual jobs and tasks people had to do to pull things off ... from the tools of the trade and how they work, to the knowledge and skills needed.

I recall watching and listening to GEORGE BLACKBURN during the Liberation of Holland shows ... and Geoff has that trilogy of books Mister Blackburn wrote, sitting on his bookshelf just to my right from where I sit ... I'll look at them ...

I can't express my many reactions to all I've seen and heard over this whole 60th Anniversary time ... especially the interviews and footage of people who were there, civilians and soldiers ...

I owe you some more Drambuie for this!

Karmen
Old 23-05-05, 20:02
Vets Dottir

Default Hmmm ...

Well people, I MAY be "jumping the gun" here ... I've been assuming that if my Uncle John was listed as an RCA GUNNER on his headstone back home, that he had definately served overseas. I've just been informed by Geoff that that's not necessarily so. I'll have to verify somehow. Did he or didn't he? (Aries ... too impulsive and no patience sometimes, jumps the gun!)

Meanwhile, whether he served overseas or not, its still good for me to learn this stuff, and it's good to have this info in MLU for everyone

JOHN: Thanks for that last ... and it's great to see the photos of "Yours Truly" ... looks good onya!

PAPA HANNO: Great that you posted those photos!!! I'll now quit hogging this computer and give Geoff a turn so that he can read this one ...Hanno ... Art Bell just called Geoff ... I love hearing about what you did for our Vets!!! You ROCK!!!! Big hugs from me for that (if only I could reach that high... LOL!

Karmen
Old 23-05-05, 20:18
Commonwealth NOT Europe

I do know a bit about what a gunner did, or does, as I was a Royal Artillery gunner myself in the 1970s (24343393 = one thing you never forget is your service number!) I was 'number three', the guy that layed the gun (put it on target) and actually pulled the BANG lever; on the Troop Commanders gun. Actually I reckoned when I joined up that I was a lot safer firing at someone 10000metres away - so the gun I was on was the modern replacement for the 25pdr - gun, howitzer and anti-tank gun all in one - and the anti-tank bit meant close up!

'Ubique' is the motto of several regiments. The Royal Artillery full motto is 'Ubique quo fas et gloria ducvnt'; "Everywhere we go glory follows". The badge of the regiment, also used by several 'Commonwealth' artillery regiments is a Napoleonic gun and cannon balls.

According to Bob, the RCA was pretty much the same as the Royal Artillery, which for a gunner in a field regiment meant being mobile and staying close enough to the sharp end to support the infantry and take out anything that obstructed their advance with either high explosive or armour piercing shot, or laying smoke to cover them, or a mix of all of these.

The Canadian field regiments were equipped with the famous 25pdr gun, towed behind a CGT - Chevrolet Gun Tractor (yep - a CMP !). This gun was good enough that I still fired it in training in the 1970s .

I do have some other stuff that Bob told us, but I'll have to find it amongst a load of junk. If I can I'll email it to you or post it here. I do remember that he was bombed twice - by the Americans LOL.
Attached Images

A wasted youth is better by far than a wise and productive old age!! (Meatloaf)
Old 23-05-05, 20:47

Hello,

Are Mr. George Blackburn and Mr. Mel Squissato come from the same 4th Regiment that supported Polish troops at the famous Hill 262 "Mace"? I mean the 4th Regiment which member was Capt. Pierre Sévigny, lonely Canadian artillery observer at the "Mace" Hill during Polish fierce battle against fanatic SS troops. The same Pierre Sévigny who -- in the rank of Colonel -- was The Juno Beach Association supporter well-know from this site?

I have always wanted to do an interview with Mr. Pierre Sévigny for the Polish military-historic press but unfortunately he is not longer living. Now I am looking for the other 4th Regiment veterans who knew Mr. Sévigny and remember his work for the Poles at Hill 262 in the Falaise Gap.

Best regards

C.
Old 23-05-05, 21:41

The account of Pierre Sévigny and his Polish comrades is amazing I have read the account and wow what an engagement!
Old 23-05-05, 21:45

Quote:
Originally posted by Waycool
The account of Pierre Sévigny and his Polish comrades is amazing I have read the account and wow what an engagement!
Wow!

Michael, where have you read it? I know only small fragment published by Professor Reginald H. Roy in his book "1944: The Canadians in Normandy".

I know it was a horror for both Capt. Pierre Sévigny and the Poles. Do you know any 4th Regiment veteran who remembers this action?

Best regards

C.
Old 23-05-05, 21:50

I read a fantastic account trying to remember where it could have been Roy's Normandy account which I read not to long ago.... hmmmm trying to remember.
Old 23-05-05, 21:55

Quote:
I read a fantastic account trying to remember where it could have been Roy's Normandy account which I read not to long ago.... hmmmm trying to remember.
Michael pleaeaeaeaeaease...

Try to reset your memory I am looking for every one Pierre Sévigny's memoir from Hill 262.

Thanks in advance

C.

Last edited by Crewman; 23-05-05 at 22:01.
Old 23-05-05, 22:19

Default Found this account at the BBC some sort of translation

People in story: Jim Dillon
Location of story: Boisjos-Coudehard-Mont Ormel
This piece is my translation from "Dans la tourmente de la guerre", by M. l'abbé Marcel Launay, his book has been available in the bookshops around Falaise since the summer of 1946. I have his written permission to use the translation. I do so now in the hope of stimulating response from Polish soldiers who survived the action or from their relatives to whom they spoke.

'Maczuga', closing the 'Falaise pocket', 19-21 August, 1944.

The 1st Polish Armoured Division, which distinguished itself at Boisjos-en-Coudehard, reached the front in Normandy on August 1st, 1944, with thirteen thousand men, three hundred and eighty-one tanks and 4,431 vehicles.
On August 8th the division went into action south of Caen and, on August 19th, it closed the Falaise-Chambois 'pocket' at Hill 262, cutting off the retreat of the German Seventh Army. In this supreme test, which has been given the title of “The Stalingrad of Normandy", it had eighty-seven of its tanks engaged.
On August 17th, while the last fighting was taking place at Falaise, the 1st Polish Armoured Division, which formed part of the 1st Canadian Army, changed its axis of advance. It moved towards Jort and Barou in order to drive in the direction of Trun. That night its units occupied Les Hordousseaux d’ Ecorches, Montreuil-la-Cambe and Les Moutiers-en-Auge. They had thus blocked any possibility of a German withdrawal towards Livarot and Vimoutiers.
The next morning, August 18th, Major Zgorzelski’s detachment pressed on towards Chambois, skirting to the north of Trun. However, General Maczek sought to take the high ground of Coudehard ? Mont-Ormel (262 m.), which commanded the plain and the valley of the Dives(s), where the Germans were still fighting savagely. Major Stefanowicz advanced on Hill 262 and was getting ready to occupy the whole of the crest when he found himself in the presence of the entire German army in full flight, using the Chambois-Vimoutiers road to escape from the encirclement. This road was, in point of fact, their last exit since, with the Americans holding Chambois, it was no longer possible to flee towards Gacé.
The Poles moved their tanks into position…, and commenced the massacre. The German columns came to a standstill under the persistent Polish fire. In panic men abandoned their equipment, setting fire to whatever would burn, cars, tanks and other vehicles. Then they took to their legs to save themselves. The bodies of men and horses strewed the road. When night came, the smoke of burning war material was so dense and impenetrable that visibility was reduced to nil and our Polish allies could advance no further.
On the 19th of August Lieutenant-Colonel Koszutski’s group, reinforced by the 9th Battalion of the Light Infantry, arrived on Hill 262. On the night of August 19th/20th, therefore, two armoured regiments and three battalions of light infantry held this strategic position. It was to be a terrible night.
The Germans were completely surrounded and hemmed in on the plain. They had no option but to attack at this point, apparently the most vulnerable in the containing ring. The tanks were in action for more than seventy hours; the fire was ceaseless, the terrain was crawling with men slipping stealthily along the hedgerows. At dawn, German armoured cars from St-Lambert burst through: S.S. troopers, trapped in 'the pocket' which was becoming a hellish cauldron, assaulted Hill 262 in waves. Their ferocious attacks pinned down the Polish units which were unable to close the whole width of the breach.
It was then that 2nd S.S. Panzer Corps, which had reached Vimoutiers the previous day after fighting its way out of the cauldron, received the order to move off and attack the Poles from the rear. Some Panthers, in a surprise attack, broke through the Polish perimeter and in a few minutes five tanks of the 1st Polish Armoured Regiment were set ablaze while their exhausted crews were still asleep. Supporting the Panthers were battalions of panzer grenadiers. The surprise was complete. There was an indescribable mêlée with vicious hand-to-hand fighting.
The element of surprise, the fatigue of the defenders, the Panther’s superiority over the Sherman and the lack of supplies created a situation such that the outcome of the battle depended on the valour of the men, their will to resist, and their determination to overcome the enemy, or be killed where they fought. Not one man fled! Not one surrendered!
Hard pressed our Poles requested air support: impossible! They were told that in the mêlée the aircrew could not tell friend from foe, the air forces were to concentrate on the approach roads.
What follows is
the account of Colonel Pierre Sévigny, a Canadian, then an artillery observation officer with the rank of Captain, attached to the 1st Polish Armoured Division. At the time of the attack on Saturday, August 19th, he had just joined his brave comrades in a regiment of armoured cavalry.
“At dawn the Polish major asked me to accompany a regiment of armoured cavalry which was about to support the attack on Hill 262 (Boisjos), the capture of which constituted our essential objective. A column of tanks set off for the attack. My vehicle was a Sherman tank armed with a cannon and two machine-guns. I had, in addition, two radio sets: one was for sending fire orders to my batteries which were to the rear; the other was to enable me to communicate with the front-line troops… We soon had the hill in sight: we found ourselves in the middle of hell. A company of German infantry, determined to hold it at no matter what cost, defended the position. Our troops had to annihilate them utterly; not one man would surrender. After several hours of desperate fighting the ground was finally ours: then I was able to observe the scene. The hill, 262 metres in height, was topped by a small wood near which was the old manor house (of Boisjos), half destroyed. The Germans had already dug a considerable network of trenches on its sides…. Enormous stocks of munitions were stored in every possible shelter…. This hill appeared to be essential to the enemy if he were to keep free the only two roads remaining to him.
I could see clearly the two roads in question: the fire of the brigade’s guns would quickly have destroyed any enemy column attempting to pass through. The situation, thus, was favourable enough as far as it went. But…. the Canadians and Americans were showing no signs of life and the morning’s attack had cost us half of our effective strength! In addition, we had had no food for twenty-four hours; we were short of water; and an 88 had killed the doctor and destroyed all the medical supplies!
About three in the afternoon a patrol reported that two German columns were coming up towards us. That was the worst possible news! It meant the severing of our communications with the rear and the complete isolation of our group! Finally the enemy line of approach converged: I gave the order to aim at the crossroads. The batteries were ready, we waited! Fifteen minutes went by…. Utterly and completely motionless…. camouflaged, the troops lay in wait. The two columns reached the crossroads at exactly the same time. As we had foreseen there was confusion, everyone trying to move on to the road together: huge trucks filled with troops, guns drawn by six-horse teams, staff cars, reconnaissance half-tracks and even two enormous assault guns, armed with 88s. The disorder was total! Then, in a voice which I was trying to keep calm, I gave the order: “Fire!” Sixteen guns opened up simultaneously: twenty salvos were fired. Their 100 lb. shells fell on the heaving mass. What a massacre! The gun-layers did their work beautifully! I saw numerous vehicles burst into flames, terrified horses trapped in their harnesses. Men trying to flee….
Their efforts were in vain, a shell soon found them and I saw bodies flying through the air. Another shell lifted the turret from a tank; a tank nearby caught fire. Our machine-guns carried on the slaughter…. Ten minutes later everything on the road was in flames. Ammunition exploded inside the vehicles, killing the occupants.…
On our side we were unscathed! We had, however, to prepare for the counter-attack. Encouraged by this first success we quickly made Hill 262 into a fortified castle. Towards 17.00 we received a discouraging message: the Canadians were at a dead stop five miles away. In spite of all their efforts they could make no further progress without reinforcements. Our only hope hung on the Americans who were coming up from the south; they had to join us during the night. At 21.00 came another message: the Americans, too, had been stopped. Here we were then, by ourselves and completely surrounded!
The Polish major called his officers together and spoke to them all in French, for my benefit:
“Gentlemen,” he said, “the hour is grave. The brigade is completely isolated. The enemy is still fighting: his only escape routes are those you see to the right and to the left. There is nobody except us who can stop them: that is what we shall try to do! Surrender is out of the question! As Poles! This is what I propose to do: the infantry will hold the lower ground and will withdraw to the higher ground only in the last resort, the tanks will remain here in the little wood with engines stopped to save petrol. My Command Post will be in this old house where we are now (Boisjos Manor House).”
Addressing me, he asked:
“Can you lay down fire from your guns right round the hill?”
I replied in the affirmative. Everybody shook hands and we went to our posts. I zeroed in my guns on four points where I expected enemy attacks. That way they would later be able to fire with accuracy whenever they were wanted.
The night began. The men were calm. They did not know how grave the situation was. About midnight there was firing near the crossroads we had already shelled. Once again I gave the order: “Five rounds per gun!” We heard explosions and the cries of the wounded. However, firing broke on the left, then on the right. The enemy was attacking everywhere at the same time. At the foot of Coudehard hill there was bloody, hand-to-hand fighting all night. We lost many men and all we had for the wounded was a little iodine.

Sunday, August the 20th
Daylight came: it was absolutely essential for us to reorganise and contract our defence perimeter. All attacks had been repulsed but our losses during the night had been considerable. And it was still going on! Fortunately our dominating position ensured that we could not be surprised…! We fired without ceasing, the machine-guns and rifles grew red hot!
In the end the enemy pulled back but he still threatened the right. Attention! He was about to pass the first two points I had pre-ranged. I quickly gave the order to my signaller. The shells fell, the Boches were thrown back in disorder!
A lull. We were not short of things to trouble us: the major had been hit in the chest by a shell splinter. We had exhausted our rations, there was scarcely half a bottle of water left per man; ammunition was scarce! Suddenly, over on our left, we heard the sounds of numerous tanks moving! The Canadians! At last! We looked for the green flares. Nothing! We came down to earth: they were German tanks advancing on us.
The major then decided on a bold manoeuvre. The best defence was still attack: and we set off to meet the enemy with twelve tanks! We soon saw the silhouettes of sixteen, enormous, German tanks, Tigers! The battle began and within three minutes of the start we had lost six tanks to one of theirs!
Only the artillery could save us! Crouching in a hole I used a portable radio to send orders to my signaller to relay to the guns. And I waited: had I studied my map thoroughly enough? Had I marked the targets well enough? Would the guns fire in time? The steel monsters were still coming, firing with all their weapons. I saw the sparkling of their machine-guns: their 88s whistled over my head. What were our gunners doing? The leading tank was only 500 metres away…, 400 now, 300, 250, 200! It was all over! I no longer dared look! Yet, I looked again: 150 metres, 100 metres. I dived into the bottom of the hole, pressing my face to the earth, not daring to move. Death would come to me in seconds, of that I was sure…. Instinctively, I murmured a prayer…. Then, suddenly, a hurricane, rolls of thunder, the ground trembling! Death? Life? Could it be possible? Was this help? Our guns were firing! What I was hearing were our shells! And there, in the hole, I laughed and cried! Stupidly I raised my head, but only for an instant! We were saved! With unparalleled accuracy and at a prodigious rate of fire, unknown till then, a cloud of shells burst over the enemy.
The Boche hesitated. Five tanks were burning like haystacks. My gunners had orders to fire all their ammunition! The attack was broken: the Germans retired, pursued by the Poles who destroyed another three tanks! How I congratulated my men on the fine work they had done!
…….. Nevertheless the attack was soon renewed. Our losses mounted constantly…. but now I could not believe my eyes: the Boches were advancing towards us singing, “Deutschland, Deutschland über alles”! We let them come to within 50 yards, then we mowed down their ranks…. More waves followed.... When the fifth came we were out of ammunition. The Poles charged them with the bayonet! During that day we suffered eight attacks like this! The enemy was exploiting our weakness, but what fanaticism he showed! One of the wounded near me looked like a child: I read the date of birth in his paybook: April, 1931! He was thirteen years old. How horrible!
We took prisoners. Some of those from the Wehrmacht were of Polish birth. They were asked if they would join us: anyone who accepted was given the rifle and paybook of one of the dead! They were unexpected, precious reinforcements. The S.S. and those whose paybooks showed that they had taken part in the invasion of Poland in ’39 received no mercy!
About 6 o' clock the attacks ceased. The battlefield was a scene from a nightmare! On the flanks of the hill thousands of corpses made a veritable rampart. We had been forced back to the top of Hill 262. Around the wood, which was about 600 metres long and 300 metres across, now filled with the wounded, we had dug trenches which were to be held at all cost! Aircraft tried to drop supplies to us but all the containers fell behind enemy lines.
At nightfall that Sunday evening the major called his officers together: out of sixty only four were fit to fight, three lieutenants and myself, all the others, including the major himself, were more or less seriously wounded. Lying in terrible pain on some straw, the Polish major found the strength to pull himself upright and give his instructions. I will never forget his words:
“Gentleman, all is lost. I do not think the Canadians can relieve us. We have no more than 110 fit men. There is no food and not much ammunition: five shells per gun and fifty rounds per man! That is very little…. even so, fight on! It would be useless to surrender to the S.S., you know that! I give you my thanks: you have fought well. Good luck, gentleman, this night we will be dying for Poland and civilisation!”
As he gave me his orders he added,
“Carry on with the same tactics. Afterwards it will be every tank for itself and then every man for himself!”
By now very weak he stopped speaking…. When I got back to my tank the silence was like that of death. Suddenly, in the distance, I heard the rumble of tanks. This time there could be no mistake: these were Shermans, but they were still far off!
Now that communication with the Polish major had become pointless I tried to find some music on one of the radios. I tuned in to a German announcing, in perfect English, the encirclement of an entire Polish division in the Falaise area! He was exaggerating, but he was not exactly lying! I tuned to another station: Strauss waltzes, played by an orchestra in London: I could hear the voices and laughter of the dancers. Over there, a different world was taking its pleasure!
In Canada the theatres in every town would be overflowing with people. I thought of the days when I knew nothing of war…. I thought of my parents…. so anxious at hearing that I was on the continent…. feelings shared by thousands of families throughout the world who prayed for only one thing: that God would protect their sons in the fire of battle.... Now it was finished: in the last forty-eight hours thousands of men had been wiped out before my eyes…. It would soon be my turn!
I was thinking for a long time, and the night went by.

Nearly 4 in the morning, Monday, August the 21st
A shaft of moonlight lit the clearing in front of me: shadows! Immediately came a burst of machine-gun fire. A quarter of an hour later, a new attack! We were losing a lot of men, among them two of the Polish lieutenants: there was only one left!
Half an hour later it was dawn. I went to sleep literally standing up. Suddenly my signaller woke me and I started: “Captain, I can hear our tanks!”
There was no possible mistake! They must have been very close, perhaps 600 metres to the west, and I could clearly distinguish the two, green flares. Between them and us, however, on the side of the hill lay a small, thick wood and the Germans were still in it. What were we to do? If our friends bumped into resistance the likelihood was that they would pull back and look for another way. No hesitation! We had to attack and link up with our relief no matter what it cost.
Immediately I gathered the men. They all agreed: we had to take the enemy by surprise. Luckily his attention was diverted by the noise of the tanks! At the blast of a whistle we went forward! We advanced quickly despite branches, craters and the S.S. Nothing could stop the wrath of the Poles. The Polish lieutenant was in front of me: I saw him fall, hit in the forehead by a bullet. At the same time, from behind a tree, a soldier aimed his carbine at me: I threw myself to one side as he fired: he missed and was instantly bayoneted. A bullet grazed my left shoulder: it was nothing, and we reached the bottom of the hill to see six Shermans firing on us! They finally recognised us and, with our strength increased, we were soon climbing back up that famous Hill 262.
When we reached the Command Post the Polish major greeted us, he was shaking with emotion and I became part of a scene of delirious joy. We laughed, we wept, we embraced each other. The soldiers told long stories in Polish to the Canadians who understood not a word but nevertheless burst into peals of laughter!
Our victory was total, but at a terrible price: only seventy Poles survived the slaughter unhurt: I was the only officer still able to stand!
The Poles now call that hill “Maczuga”, which means “The Mace”. And that is it exactly: the battle of “Maczuga” hill was the final, crushing blow which broke German power."
Pierre SEVIGNY, Montréal

The Balance-sheet of this fearful confrontation:
The Poles, who went into this fight with eighty-seven Sherman tanks against all the remaining weaponry of the German Seventh army surrounded on the plain of Tournai ? Aubry ? St-Lambert, lost 325 dead, 16 of whom were officers, 1,002 wounded and 114 missing. Eleven tanks were destroyed.
The Germans had about 2,000 killed, 5,000 taken prisoner, including a general, six colonels and 80 officers. They left on the battlefield 55 tanks, of which 14 were Panthers and 6 Tigers, 44 guns and 152 armoured vehicles, 359 vehicles of all types were destroyed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/ww2/A2450846
Old 23-05-05, 22:45

Crewman

George Blackburn was in a different unit he was a FOO of 2nd CDN Infantry division and its intergal artillery the 4th Field Regiment equipped 25pdrs . Whereas Pierre Sévigny was a FOO for the 4th Medium regiment which was armed with 5.5" howitzers and numbered 16 guns. 4th Medium was part of 2nd Canadian AGRA. These total count of guns that Sevigny could have brought to targets would number more tubes then 16 as FOO's could call on other regiments to assist with fire. From the above account Sevigny mentions 16 tubes so that would be his total number in 4th Medium Regt.

Last edited by Waycool; 23-05-05 at 23:09.
Old 23-05-05, 22:59

Quote:
Crewman

George Blackburn was in a different unit he was a FOO of 2nd CDN Infantry division and its intergal artillery the 4th Field Regiment equipped 25pdrs . Whereas Pierre Sévigny was a FOO for the 4th Medium regiment which was armed with 5.5"? howitzers. 4th Medium would have been part of an Canadian AGRA.
Hi Michael

First of all thank you very much for your post and link to the BBC forum.

When it comes to the 4th Regiment where Pierre Sévigny served in the Falaise Gap period I have read that the regiment was in the reserve of the Canadian 1st Army then. I will try to find the source of this information but if it is incorrect info feel free to correct it.

One more time my great "THANK YOU"!!

Gregory "Crewman"
Old 23-05-05, 23:02

Glad to lend a hand. 4th Medium was part of the 1st Canadian Army indeed the CAGRA is the non divisional artillery . 2nd Canadian AGRA had the big stuff 5.5" howitzers.
Old 23-05-05, 23:03

Michael is correct; George Blackburn was part of 4th Field Regiment (25pdrs), which was the senior Artillery Regiment in the 2nd Canadian Infantry Division. Pierre Sévigny was part of 4th Medium Regiment (5.5in) which was part of 2nd Cdn AGRA.

Note that the two batteries of 4th Medium were the 50th and the 58th. When I was serving in 2 FD Regt in Montreal in the 1970’s, it was made up of the 7th, 50th and 66th btys.
Old 23-05-05, 23:25

Michael & John -- thank you friends very much for this "historic consulting"

Something about hellish Hill 262:

Quote:
Originally written by Reginald H. Roy

As the Poles pushed east and south to cut the road running northeast from Chambois and to seize Chambois itself, it quickly became apparent that it was critically important to capture several hills dominating the highway. Hills 252 and 262, lying hard by the highway, were prime candidates. Early on the 19th August a Polish battle-group launched an attack on these hills. With this assault force was Captain Pierre Sévigny, a Canadian FOO whose medium guns were supporting the Poles. As he rode in a tank close to the commander of the Polish column attacking the hills, the leading tank stopped for two wounded Germans lying on the road. When two Polish tankmen dismounted to move them, one of the wounded Germans tossed a grenade, killing one and wounding the other. The Polish commander promptly emptied his revolver into the Germans, and the entire column proceeded forward over their bodies. This incident was only a preview of what was to come.

Source:
Reginald H. Roy
1944: The Canadians in Normandy
Macmillan of Canada, Ottawa 1984
ISBN 0-7715-9796-7
Page 310
Old 23-05-05, 23:27

Default Crewman

Crewman, there is another book that may interest you. It is by Brigadier-General Denis Whitaker and is entitled "Victory at Falaise" It has much detail about the Poles and about the closing of the Falaise pocket.

http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/tg/...773060-8015569
Old 23-05-05, 23:36

Default Re: Crewman

Quote:
Crewman, there is another book that may interest you. It is by Brigadier-General Denis Whitaker and is entitled "Victory at Falaise" It has much detail about the Poles and about the closing of the Falaise pocket.

http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/tg/...773060-8015569
John,

Thanks, I heard about this book and it is on my purchase list. You linked the biggest description of this book I have ever seen so far -- thank you very much.

Yes, only my salary must serve for my family, hobbies, dog and my favourite Canadian historic books

Best regards

Gregory

Last edited by Crewman; 23-05-05 at 23:48.
Old 24-05-05, 00:03

Smile

Crewman Just checked ABEbooks and found Victory at Falaise for $1.00

ABE book
Old 24-05-05, 00:18

Crewnan, check your Private Messages.

Last edited by John McGillivray; 24-05-05 at 00:58.
Old 24-05-05, 01:38

Quote:
Crewman Just checked ABEbooks and found Victory at Falaise for $1.00

ABE book
Michael,

Thanks!

I will decide "to buy or not to buy" asap. John declared himself [] that he will send me the samples of the text from this book and then I will see if it is something to add it to my collection of the Canadian books dedicated to the Falaise Gap.

I am very grateful for this info because last time I saw this book for $35.00 plus shipment to Poland which means total approx. $55.00-60.00.

You are fantastic my dear Canadians

And of course
Old 24-05-05, 03:40
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Re: Blackburn's windmill

Quote:
Originally posted by Hanno Spoelstra
When Geoff was over in Holland a couple of years back, he mentioned he would like to know if that windmill still existed. Guess what? Last May 7th a commemorative plaque honouring Canadians was unveiled by Groesbeek Airborne Friends. Sadly, I only found this out the day after the fact, otherwise I would have made sure I was present...

Quote:
"Mel Squissato greets his friend George Blackburn of the 4th Field Regiment after the plaque unveiling. Mel stayed with George during in the winter of 1944-1945 so that he would not be alone."
Thanks for that, Hanno. Yes, I saw George on TV. Furthermore, I am delighted that Mel Squissato is still alive and was there; I would have loved to have met both together. Squissato was with Blackburn the night the latter won his M.C. on the wrong side of the Twente Canal; they had been cut off and stayed to bring down fire all around themselves to save the bridgehead from a German breakthrough. It's an amazing story covered with exaggerated humilty in Blackburn's THE GUNS OF VICTORY. He damned well earned that M.C., and perhaps should have had the D.S.O.

For those of you not familiar with George Blackburn, he was the longest surviving FOO in the 1st Canadian Army. Hell, he should have had the D.S.O. for that alone.

His trilogy is the best personal history I've ever had the privilege to read. Whether you're interested in artillery or not, this is a must-read; his perspective on the infantry, armour and the Canadian Army as a whole (as well as arty) is unsurpassed. It is simply the finest account of war I've ever read.
Old 24-05-05, 19:09
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: Units of the Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery

A few more Units of the Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery serving with the Canadian Army (Active) on 8 May, 1945:

No. 1 Anti-Aircraft Gun Operation Room (Class B), R.C.A.
No. 2 Anti-Aircraft Gun Operation Room (Class B), R.C.A.
No. 4 Anti-Aircraft Gun Operation Room (Class B), R.C.A.
No. 5 Anti-Aircraft Gun Operation Room (Class B), R.C.A.
No. 8 Anti-Aircraft Gun Operations Room (Class B), R.C.A.
No. 9 Anti-Aircraft Gun Operations Room (Class B), R.C.A.
No. 16 Anti-Aircraft Operations Room, R.C.A.
No. 1 Anti-Tank Training Battery, R.C.A.
No. 1 Field Training Regiment, R.C.A.
No. 1 Canadian Army Meteorological Group
Headquarters, No. 1 Canadian Army Meteorological Group
No. 10 Canadian Meteorological Section (Type "A")
No. 11 Canadian Meteorological Section (Type "A")
No. 12 Canadian Meteorological Section (Type "B")
No. 13 Canadian Meteorological Section (Type "B")
No. 14 Canadian Meteorological Section (Type "B")
No. 15 Canadian Meteorological Section (Type "B")
No. 16 Canadian Meteorological Section (Type "B")
No. 17 Canadian Meteorological Section (Type "C")
No. 18 Canadian Meteorological Section (Type "C")
No. 19 Canadian Meteorological Section (Type "D")
No. 20 Canadian Meteorological Section (Type "D")
No. 21 Canadian Meteorological Section (Type "E")
No. 22 Canadian Meteorological Section (Type "E")
No. 6 District Establishment R.C.A.
No. 7 District Establishment R.C.A.
No. 11 District Establishment R.C.A.
1st Anti-Aircraft Battery (Type 2H), R.C.A.
2nd Anti-Aircraft Battery (Type H), R.C.A.
4th Anti-Aircraft Battery (Type 3L), R.C.A.
11th Anti-Aircraft Battery (Type 4L), R.C.A.
14th Anti-Aircraft Battery (Type H), R.C.A.
18th Anti-Aircraft Battery (Type 2H), R.C.A.
19th Anti-Aircraft Battery (Type 2H), R.C.A.
24th Anti-Aircraft Battery (Type 3L), R.C.A.
30th Anti-Aircraft Battery (Type 3L), R.C.A.
33rd Anti-Aircraft Battery (Type 4L), R.C.A.
42nd Anti-Aircraft Battery (Type 2H), R.C.A.
44th Anti-Aircraft Battery (Type H), R.C.A.
49th Anti-Aircraft Battery (Type H), R.C.A.
52nd Anti-Aircraft Battery (Type 4L), R.C.A.
146th Anti-Aircraft Battery (Type 3L), R.C.A.
148th Anti-Aircraft Battery (Type 2L), R.C.A.
154th Anti-Aircraft Battery (Type 2H), R.C.A.
1st Anti-Aircraft Searchlight Battery, R.C.A.
5th Special Mobile Anti-Aircraft Searchlight Troop, R.C.A.
1st Kinetheodolite Detachment, R.C.A.
Headquarters, 1st (Halifax) Coast Regiment, R.C.A.
Headquarters, 5th (British Columbia) Coast Regiment, R.C.A.
Headquarters, 16th Coast Regiment, R.C.A.
Headquarters, 25 Anti-Aircraft Regiment, R.C.A.
Headquarters, 26 Anti-Aircraft Regiment, R.C.A.
Headquarters, 27 Anti-Aircraft Regiment, R.C.A.
Headquarters, 29th Anti-Aircraft Regiment, R.C.A.
6th Coast Battery, R.C.A.
9th Coast Battery, R.C.A.
51st Coast Battery, R.C.A.
52nd Coast Battery, R.C.A.
53rd Coast Battery, R.C.A.
55th Coast Battery, R.C.A.
59th Coast Battery, R.C.A.
60th Coast Battery, R.C.A.
85th Coast Battery, R.C.A.
86th Coast Battery, R.C.A.
102nd Coast Battery, R.C.A.
2nd Air Observation Post Squadron, R.C.A.
3rd Air Observation Post Squadron, R.C.A.
20th Field Regiment, R.C.A.
A 1 Canadian Artillery Training Centre
A 3 Canadian Artillery Training Centre
A 23 Coast and Anti-Aircraft Artillery Training Centre
S 1 Canadian Coast and Anti-Aircraft Artillery School
Artillery Anti-Aircraft Reinforcement Camp
N.D.H.Q. Section, R.C.A.

Cheers
Old 24-05-05, 23:26
48th Highlander

Default WW2 RCA Gunner

Hey John

In Italy when the 25's gave us heavy support, on the odd occasion you would hear a shell going overhead but it would have a spinning sound like it was going end over end and travelling fairly slow, Do you know what causes this aberasion? As an artillery export I am sure you will have the answer. During an occasion in the south of Sicily when the 25's gave us a real heavy support barrage I am not sure but I vaguely remember them throwing water either on the gun or down the barrel or is this just my old memory failing me?