MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Old 25-05-03, 17:51

Default The great ACCO - and how they began

In a previous posting there was some mention of the Aussie ACCO, and its similarity to the CMP, Hence the occasional miss-identification as Inter-Blitzes

Research on the great Aussie ACCO with the remains of the International Harvester Company of Australia (or what remains of it since its take over by Iveco of Italy), reveals an interesting tale.

In the late 1950's, The Australian Army began the search for a purpose built truck to replace its ageing fleet of World War 2 Blitzes(CMP's) some Studebaker US6's and GMC 2 1/2 tonners.

Interim trucks had been sought from the UK, in the form of COMMER Q4's and Humber 1 tonners. But the environmental conditions of Australia were too harsh for the English engineering of the time.

Tenders were sought and a specification was published.

International took the tender and began research for a prototype model. Soldiers both retired and serving at the time were asked by the R&D department of the company, what they wanted from their Army trucks. There was a resounding call for a truck much like the Blitzes. Forward control (cab over) and forward sloping opening windscreens were the most notable features requested.

Army requirements listed selectable all-wheel drive, PTO driven recovery winch, Standardized NATO wheel patterns on 12.00 x 20 tyres, and single wheel tracking.

International decided in a brainstorming meeting to use many of the components that they were already producing for their range of agricultural machinery - both trucks and harvesters.

By strengthening the chassis of their civilian truck range they felt that they could produce a chassis that would meet the conditions that it may have to endure.

Research and Development bought a Chev Blitz from a disposal auction and sent it to the carpentry department for the initial cab prototype. The Carpenter's brief was to "fit this Blitz cab to this chassis". after many hours of work the original International AACO was born.

AACO Mk1 No1 as it was known was an acronym for Australian Army Cab Over- Mark 1 Number 1.

Later, this truck went through a series of modifications and alterations with several versions becoming available. 4 x 4 general service and 6 x 6 general service, gun tractor with hydraulic crane, Recovery Truck, Dump Truck and even a Garbage compactor.

The AACO's "baptism of fire" was to be the Vietnam War, and after several encounters many AACO's "lost" their doors for ease of escape by the crew and other unnecessary accessories. One soldier when questioned by an Officer as to the whereabouts of the doors of his new truck, replied "That's how I got it sir!"

The excellent performance of these hybrid trucks during the Vietnam War, lead International to realise that they were "on a winner" with the AACO's design and began marketing a civilian version, rebadged as the ACCO - Australian Constructed Cab Over.

These trucks have left the Dandenong plant of International Harvester Co. Australia, for more than Thirty years, travelling as far abroad as Africa, Europe and Britain. However upon purchase of the company by Iveco the beloved ACCO lost her International name tag in favour of Iveco's badging. And in 2002, Iveco withdrew the name ACCO, instead calling the range bloody "Euro-Tech".

So much for Aussie Icons.

Jean Du Vey.

Picture is of a AACO Mk 1 No 1 unrestored in Australia.
Attached Thumbnails
jbc-02.jpg  

Last edited by jpduvey; 25-05-03 at 19:28.
Old 25-05-03, 18:02

Default Mk 3 AACO

Here is the MK 3 model, most noticeable difference is the smoother cab lines. By this time pressing dies had been produced for major cab components.

The bonnet section and front mud guards/steps are of fiberglass construction.

This vehicle is at the 2002 Corowa swim in.
Attached Thumbnails
corowa 2002-acco-3-phcsmall.jpg  

Last edited by jpduvey; 25-05-03 at 19:35.
Old 25-05-03, 18:12

Default The Mk 4 AACO

This model has the fiberglass components replaced by all steel parts and a minor cab redesign. This cab became the standardised version, also fitted to all 6 x 6 versions and the first of the civilian models.

This vehicle belongs to Steven Davis of NSW. Shown here at the 2002 Corowa swim in.
Attached Thumbnails
corowa 2002-acco-5-phcsmall.jpg  
Old 25-05-03, 18:47

Default Mk 5 or as it is otherwise known F1, Wrecker (Recovery)

This vehicle is the Recovery version of the AACO Mk 5 or F1 6 x 6. It is capable of recovering the 4 x 4 GS version laden at a gross weight of 8 tons or 6 x 6 all variants.

It is fitted with Holmes Wrecking gear as was fitted to the Diamond T wreckers of WW2.

This vehicle belongs to John "Dinga" Belfield of the Melbourne Tank Museum in Victoria, Australia.

The camouflage paint livery on this truck is the modern scheme for the Australian Army even though it is on a vehicle that probably dates from the late 1970's. These vehicles are still retained by some units of the Australian Army due to their reliability of service.

It is believed that this vehicle had recently been purchased by John from the Army disposal auctions.
Attached Thumbnails
hdc bellfield-01small.jpg  

Last edited by jpduvey; 25-05-03 at 19:36.
Old 25-05-03, 18:57

Default Mk 5 or F1, Dump Truck (Tipper)

This is the Tipper version. as with the CMP tippers, there are troop seat sides and hood bows that attach to the vehicle, in this case where the hungry boards (tipper tray side risers) fit into the tray proper.

The tray is of Aluminium construction to reduce the vehicles overall weight allowing for a larger payload in the vehicles 5 ton rating limit. (In post service civilian life the vehicle is capable of carrying far in excess of that limit)

The pictured truck is in civilian use in NSW Australia.
Attached Thumbnails
phc - f1 - tip - 02small.jpg  

Last edited by jpduvey; 25-05-03 at 19:37.
Old 25-05-03, 19:16

Default ACCO, the civilian version

This is the civilian version that you, whereever you may be, are familiar with.

This one belongs to a farmer in Australia, where it is used to deliver bulk loads of grain to storage facilities that are dotted around the country.

The engine in this truck is probably a diesel built by either Cummins or Detroit Diesel Alison (GM). All military versions used 6 cylinder inline petrol engines. This is the last of the Acco models with improvements made to the running gear and not the cab from this model on.

This model referred to in Australia as the "Chicken Box" cab, due to its resemblance to a chicken coup. ( Probably as some ended up as the odd chicken pen too).

These vehicles were used in limited numbers by Australian defence forces including the RAAF, but not in a tactical role and were the last of the beloved ACCO's in military service before their replacement by the Mercedes-Benz Unimogs.

I hope you find this of some interest and if any discrepancies are found please feel free to post a reply (except if you are Iveco, Italy - then drop dead)

Jean Du Vey
Attached Images

Last edited by jpduvey; 25-05-03 at 19:38.
Old 26-05-03, 00:53
Mark Sierant

Default Would any one like an ACCO

"Old" Max Hedges and I own a 6 x 6 ACCO tipper in as it left the army condition troop seat hood bows and all tool boxes. We are considering parting with it so that we can concentrate on our Blitz restorations. Drop us an email direct if you have queries.

Sorry about the advertising in this section of the forum Geoff but with such a long article on the ACCO it seemed a good spot for people who may be interested in this type of truck to make contact. :
Old 26-05-03, 17:33
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default Too harsh for Australia ?

I have been told by various MV people , the reason the Aust. army got rid of the Humber 1 Tonners was the high maintenance requirement . They were a beautifuly engineered vehicle and could stand up to the Australian conditions quite well .

Although a excellent vehicle they needed lots of looking after , rather complicated suspension . The Austin Champ was another example , good idea on paper , but designed by desk jockeys who probably never went near a REME workshop in their lives .

Mike
Old 28-05-03, 11:29
Film maker, CMP addict

Default In service pictures

I have a page of Vietnam era AACOs and other vehicles.

Can anyone give any details of the who what and where variety? I'm a novice when it comes to these interesting trucks.

Click here

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 29-05-03, 04:45

Default ACCO

A very interesting tale indeed. I was not aware of the change of AACO to ACCO. I have of course seen many ACCO's and of course "AACO's" not knowing the difference. Congratulations on supplying such a significant detail.

I do have a number of images of these vehicles that I have taken over the years and hope that you don't mind if I add these to my collection.

Having an interest in SIGNALS equipment I have a copy of "PRONTO" by Dennis Hare which shows these vehicles transporting American "Shelters" full of radio equipment.

Once again congratulations for your wonderful educative effort of these unique Aussie icons.

Reg
Old 30-05-03, 13:17

Default ACCO

Hi again,
forgot to mention that such a vehicle, AACO, is an amazing derivitive from the good ol' reliable CMP. I am also wondering why GM/FORD Canada did not carry on the tradition began by the CMP and create a moderised version.
Also just how did the CMP come about? I have seen, ridden in and driven CMP's here but its amazing just how little I know of the origins. Is there a book of the history of this vehicle available?

Thanks Reg
Old 31-05-03, 04:00
Film maker, CMP addict

Default CMP Bible

Reg,
The book to get is Bill Gregg's Blueprint for Victory, which is still available through the CFB Shilo bookshop.
The definitive video on the subject is, of course "Year of the Blitz" available from Geoff Winnington-Ball in Canada, Hanno Spoelstra in Europe/UK and myself for the Australasian region.

You can get the details here

42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Old 16-06-06, 01:49
www.REMLR.com

Yes, I know, It's an old topic, but I have recently been looking for information and pictures of ACCO's and i've turned up very little. So far this thread has by far and away been the best source of information.

So I don't suppose you have any more acco pics (For reference) and information on them. For example, what happened to Mk.2 ?
Old 16-06-06, 05:55
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Default Re: Mk 5 or as it is otherwise known F1, Wrecker (Recovery)

Quote:
Originally posted by jpduvey
This vehicle is the Recovery version of the AACO Mk 5 or F1 6 x 6. It is capable of recovering the 4 x 4 GS version laden at a gross weight of 8 tons or 6 x 6 all variants.

It is fitted with Holmes Wrecking gear as was fitted to the Diamond T wreckers of WW2.
Seeing as we've re-visited this post, lets fine tune some of the facts. The Wrecker pictured above isn't an F1, it's an F5. All the 6x6 were mechanically the same Mk5, and the type of body described the Variant:
F1: 5 ton GS
F2: 5 ton tipper
F3: Tanker, 800 gallon
F4: Breakdown
F5: Wrecker, Holmes equipment

The No1 Mk2 AACO had the same cab as the Mk1, but was fitted with PTO driven 20,000lb winch.
Old 16-06-06, 07:04
Film maker, CMP addict

Default IVECO book

IVECO have just published a limited run book on the history of the AACO and ACCO brand for their dealer network. It makes interesting reading indeed.

I'd suggest you contact your IVECO dealer and enquire - the author (don't have the details to hand) I think may have some copies available.

Apparently the AA part of AACO wasn't related to Australian Army - it just happened to be part of the standard model designation of the time - AA and AB series. CO I think stood for Cab over though.

42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Old 16-06-06, 07:47
www.REMLR.com

I'll pass that on, it would be interesting reading.
Old 18-06-06, 15:59
The Original CMP Site!

Default Re: Re: Mk 5 or as it is otherwise known F1, Wrecker (Recovery)

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Smith
Seeing as we've re-visited this post, lets fine tune some of the facts. The Wrecker pictured above isn't an F1, it's an F5. All the 6x6 were mechanically the same Mk5, and the type of body described the Variant:
F1: 5 ton GS
F2: 5 ton tipper
F3: Tanker, 800 gallon
F4: Breakdown
F5: Wrecker, Holmes equipment

The No1 Mk2 AACO had the same cab as the Mk1, but was fitted with PTO driven 20,000lb winch.
Hi Tony, During my RAEME service (1972 - 1992) the GS trucks were always referred to as the F1 and any truck with the PTO driven hydraulic pump was an F2. If I remember correctly the Holmes equipped wreckers were called the Truck, Wrecker, Twin Boom,6 x 6, 5 ton w/winch, F2. Later on in their service they were given the Defence Forces' Mobility Class of MC5, I think.

Feel free to corrct me if my memory is failing.
Regards
Rod
Old 18-06-06, 17:50
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

The F5's full title is on the Technical Manual:
Attached Thumbnails
scan1.jpg  
Old 18-06-06, 17:54
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Default Re: Re: Re: Mk 5 or as it is otherwise known F1, Wrecker (Recovery)

Quote:
Originally posted by Rod Diery
Hi Tony, During my RAEME service (1972 - 1992) the GS trucks were always referred to as the F1 and any truck with the PTO driven hydraulic pump was an F2. If I remember correctly the Holmes equipped wreckers were called the Truck, Wrecker, Twin Boom,6 x 6, 5 ton w/winch, F2. Later on in their service they were given the Defence Forces' Mobility Class of MC5, I think.

Feel free to corrct me if my memory is failing.
Regards
Rod
You may be correct, Rod, regarding the Vehicle's being referred to as F2's in RAEME as mechanically speaking, they were!
I have never heard of any of the Mk5 6x6s called Mk5s, always F1, F2, F3,....etc.
From the Tech. Man.:
Attached Thumbnails
scan10001.jpg  
Old 19-06-06, 02:48
Peter

Default mk 5 and 4's

in my 20 years 1982 _2002 in raeme all 6x6 were known as mk5's to designate the base vehicle and 4x4 were allways known as mk4's and the 4x4 with the fiberglass noses were mk3's. it was only the transport and raaoc personel that refered to them as f1's and f2's ect . to raeme it was what was on the back that was the "name" eg mk5 wrecker or twin boom, mk5 tipper, mk5 pango, mk5 auto repair ect. i loved these old trucks, they were hot, unconfortable and loud (a good cure for driver fatige). but you could keep em going with what you carried in your toolboxes or found on the side of the road. not many places you could not drive them.

Last edited by pand65au; 19-06-06 at 03:21.
Old 19-06-06, 08:22

Default Fremantle Army Museum Wrecker

Attached is a photo of the 'Truck, Wrecker, 5 ton, 6x6, w/twin boom' that a group of we volunteers restored for the Army Museum in Fremantle. We got it from the RAEME workshop company, recovery section, at Irwin Barracks in Perth. The booms had been taken off and it was being used to throw off a hill or sink in a bog and then use it as a recovery aid. We panelled and painted and replaced and tuned and eventually got it looking nice. It is now down at the museum in Fremantle which is open on Wednesdays and Sundays.
Attached Thumbnails
img_2791.jpg  
Old 19-06-06, 08:36

Also pictured below is what replaced the Wrecker in the Museum workshop bay at Irwin Barracks. It is a Mk5 F(?) 6x6 with what I was told was an Auto Workshop back. According to those in the know, it began service with the 10th Light Horse Regt. LAD and then moved to the 16th Bat. RWAR LAD. It was then donated to the Army Museum at Fremantle where it stood in the rain for several years. Just as it got to us to restore, our workshop was closed down due to Occ.Health concerns, so the truck will remain there until a decision is made.
Attached Thumbnails
img_3006.jpg  
Old 19-06-06, 08:52

Finally, a photo of my 4x4 Mk3. It is registered as a 1968 model but AWM files show it to be supplied in 1963. Since demob, it has served as a Rigger's truck and as a diving company's boat puller.
In August 2005, I, and the wife, drove it from Perth to Alice Springs and back. about 7,500Kms in total. It blew a waterpump bypass hose and the oil pressure guage (but not the oil pressure) failed. Apart from that not too much went wrong with it. It's best fuel consumed was 8.5 M.P.G(imp). Its not a limo by any stretch but is vastly more comfortable and can take the dreaded aussie corrigations better than the old blitz. It's certainly a worthy successor to the CMP.
Attached Thumbnails
img_2295.jpg  
Old 19-06-06, 08:57
www.REMLR.com

Great photos MurrayC, thanks for those
Old 19-06-06, 15:14
The Original CMP Site!

Quote:
The F5's full title is on the Technical Manual:
Can't argue with the written word Tony. I never knew that they were really F5's.

Cheers
Rod
Old 19-06-06, 17:11
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Quote:
Originally posted by MurrayC
Also pictured below is what replaced the Wrecker in the Museum workshop bay at Irwin Barracks. It is a Mk5 F(?) 6x6 with what I was told was an Auto Workshop back.
The rear body on this is a Blitz workshop body from WW2, which was probably transplanted onto a Studebaker, and then finally mounted on a ACCO. (Finally? Who knows, it might end up on a U2450 Unimog!)
Old 19-06-06, 21:52
Film maker, CMP addict

Default A better solution

Quote:
The rear body on this is a Blitz workshop body from WW2, which was probably transplanted onto a Studebaker, and then finally mounted on a ACCO. (Finally? Who knows, it might end up on a U2450 Unimog!)
...would be to complete the cycle by re-installing it onto a F60L or C60L don't you think?

Like this one from the Bandiana Army Museum which I photographed at the VP celebrations in Canberra in August 2005.

42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Old 19-06-06, 23:10
Bluebell

Default Kieth

Are you able to tell from your originals, of the two earlier photos that you posted in this thread, are the mirrors CMP mirrors?

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 19-06-06, 23:41
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Originals

I'll have to dig them out, Lynn - you're talking about the ACCOs of course?

They look like CMP ones, don't they. The originals weren't too good, but I'll let you know.

42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Old 20-06-06, 23:46
Bluebell

Default Cmp mirrors

I mentioned this once before, that the 6x6's (aaco/acco) that 4th Medium Battery had as gun tractors, were fitted with CMP mirrors. They would have been the original mirrors on those trucks when the came to N.Z. Tony reckoned that Aussie just sent us the rubbish. The drivers didn't like them and they were removed and binned or "accidentally" broken very quickly.
I'd just like to see if they were actually used in Australia on the ACCO's. I'm talking 1971 here.

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....