MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 31-12-05, 06:43
Derek Heuring

Default Canadian War museum Ford C11ADF

Found a great shot of General Alexander's staff car from the Canadian War museum's website. It's a modified Ford C11 ADF built by Ford of Canada. Hmmmm, I'm already getting ideas for my next project.
Attached Thumbnails
harry alexander 1941 ford.jpg  
Old 31-12-05, 16:07
MLU Administrator

Here's another idea...

source
Old 31-12-05, 17:32
Derek Heuring

Quote:
Originally posted by Hanno Spoelstra
Here's another idea...
Great pic Hanno, I've always liked the look of the Vickers K gun! What's the insignia on the door, I can't quite make it out?

CHIMO!
Old 01-01-06, 08:16
Richard Notton

Quote:
Originally posted by sapper740
Great pic Hanno, I've always liked the look of the Vickers K gun! What's the insignia on the door, I can't quite make it out?
Can't quite see either, but seeing as how its done in panzergrau (RAL 7021) it does look much like the palm tree of Erwin's Desert Gardening Club, or DAK if you prefer. . . . . . . . .

R.
Old 01-01-06, 12:05

Default C11ADF

Quote:
Originally posted by FV623
Can't quite see either, but seeing as how its done in panzergrau (RAL 7021) it does look much like the palm tree of Erwin's Desert Gardening Club, or DAK if you prefer. . . . . . . . .
Those of us who are MVT members, will have received a 2006 calender with photo of this vehicle. The insignia on the door is the Special Air Service emblem. Also shown is an original photo from IWM. neg. no. HU69884, showing the actual vehicle being depicted and the emblem is shown clearly. According to the write up, the car is painted to appear as a Geman vehicle with their monthly air recognition panel painted on the bonnet.

Richard
Old 02-01-06, 01:20
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by sapper740
This C11ADF is a replica of David Stirling's "Blitz Buggy".

H.
Old 02-01-06, 08:28

Morning guys
A plan of general A,s cut down Ford by Geoff Lacy the well known supplier of 1/76 scalemodelling plans
and aphoto of one of the original woodies, the type cut down for desert use
Les
Attached Thumbnails
alex4.jpg   alex1.jpg  
Old 02-01-06, 14:52
Derek Heuring

Quote:
Originally posted by Hanno Spoelstra
Here's another idea...
Good morning Hanno and Les! I've been doing some research on the Ford C11 ADF and I've discovered that there were three versions built during the war:

Car, Heavy Utility, 4X2, Ford C 11 ADF
Car, Heavy Utility, 4X2, Ford C 11 A5
Ford Heavy Utility Car

The first two vehicles were built on the 1942 chassis, the differences being the A5 had seating for 7 instead of five, lighter axles, and smaller tyres; 600 X 13 on the A5, 900 X 13 on the ADF. The Ford Heavy Utility Car was virtually identical to the ADF except that it was based on the 1941 model and therefore had a slightly different body and grill. The most notable difference are the fender mounted turn signals which I believe were dropped for the 1942 year model thereby making the Ford in Hanno's picture a 1941 Ford Heavy Utility Car. Am I wrong in this deduction?
On a lighter note; you're all well aware of the competition between Ford and Chevy owners with Chevy owners enjoying making up disparaging acronyms for Ford such as:

(F)ix (O)r (R)epair (D)aily
(F)lip (O)ver (R)ead (D)irections

Well!, now Ford owners can fight back with:

(F)ought (O)n (R)ommel's (D)esert!

CHIMO!
Old 03-01-06, 05:52
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Derek, we looked at Ford chassis codes in this thread. The standard C11A cars/wagons had 6.00-16 tyres, as did too the C21A. The -DF indicates that the vehicle is fitted with 9.00-13 tyres and is RHD. Note that the scale drawing you have provided the vehicle is described as a C11AD, and is therefore a LHD, as drawn. The C11ADF were 1941 models.
Old 03-01-06, 06:49
Derek Heuring

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Smith
Derek, we looked at Ford chassis codes in this thread. The standard C11A cars/wagons had 6.00-16 tyres, as did too the C21A. The -DF indicates that the vehicle is fitted with 9.00-13 tyres and is RHD. Note that the scale drawing you have provided the vehicle is described as a C11AD, and is therefore a LHD, as drawn. The C11ADF were 1941 models.
Great thread Tony, helped explain the chassis codes for the Ford stationwagon. "What once was old is new again." A lot of the information I had was gleaned from The Encyclopaedia of Weapons of World War II originally published by Amber Books of London. Just goes to show how one needs to consult several authorities on the subject matter at hand in order to get the greatest accuracy of information. I'm relatively new at restoring vintage military vehicles, my C15 being my 2nd and I've realized how little I know of the subject.
Old 20-08-09, 02:35

Default Canadian War museum Ford C11 ADF

Hello:

I have recently joined this great looking forum and have been going through some of the postings and I found this one. Just a little bit about me so everyone will understand the types of questions that you might see from me from time-to-time.

I have always been interested in WW II history as well as model building and I would combine these two interests. As you know, they make model kits of just about every piece of armor, equipment and aircraft from both the Allied and Axis sides that was used.

There are many campaigns and battles from just about every theater of the war that I am interested in and for fun, I like to research the OOB/TOE's from them and see what equipment was used and check to see if they make a model kit of it. I would then build it depicting a unit/squadron that would have fought in it.

I have my "wish list" cross-referenced by these campaigns/battles and while I don't know if I'll get the chance to complete this list, I do enjoy the researching of the battle/campaign and the equipment that was used, which can be more fun and interesting then building the model!

I have a question regarding this vehicle as there is a model produced of it:

http://www.wespemodels.ro/ford-alexander-p-64.html

In all respect to General Alexander, was this vehicle custom built for him or could this model kit be built to depict any HQ unit that might have had them assigned to it? I assume that is what unit would have had them if not, then whom?

Also, other then Britain using them, I assume that they were used by the various Commonwealth armies as well? If anyone knows for sure which ones, as well as if they were used in any of the NWE campaigns that would be very helpful to me. From what I have seen so far, they or at least this one was used through out the North African campaign?

Thank you in advance for any information.

Michael
Old 20-08-09, 04:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Turner View Post
Hello:

In all respect to General Alexander, was this vehicle custom built for him
This was a special one off for the General made from a standard Station Wagon.

Quote:
Also, other then Britain using them, I assume that they were used by the various Commonwealth armies as well? If anyone knows for sure which ones, as well as if they were used in any of the NWE campaigns that would be very helpful to me. From what I have seen so far, they or at least this one was used through out the North African campaign?

Thank you in advance for any information.

Michael
The normal Station Wagon version was used by most of the commonwealth armies especially though the desert. I assume units that had them there and were transfered to Italy or Europe would still have used them there as well.

AMT or similar make a 1941 Ford Woody Wagon in 1/24 or 1/25 scale which is I believe OOP now but you may find a kit of it still. The changes are minor and the Tamiya LRDG Chev wheels in 1/35 scale are a good match for the 13 inch wheels and tyres at 1/24/25 scale as well.

Below are two photos of the SW from the AWM.
Attached Images

"and on the 8th day he made trucks so that man, made on the 7th day, had shelter when woman threw him out for the night"
MrRoo says "TRUCKS ROOLE"
Old 20-08-09, 07:19

I think that the Wespe-kit is not too accurate for this vehicle. Just my impression but difficult to prove in detail since Wespe does not provide more than very small pictures. I see that the car is somewhat too 'rectangular' against the original.

Would like to have a model of a station wagon in 1:35!!!
Old 22-08-09, 01:46

Default Canadian War museum Ford C11 ADF

Thank you to everyone who replied to my posting, I received the type of information that I was looking for.

Michael