MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 22-12-06, 19:44
GM Fox I

Default So wrong!!!

...and in so many ways:
Quote:
EDINBURGH, Scotland (AP) - More than 5,000 Scottish soldiers are having to share ceremonial kilts because defence chiefs have yet to finalize a contract to buy enough to go around, military officials said Monday.

The men, who face regular tours of duty in Iraq and Afghanistan, have just 320 kilts among them, or one for every 15 soldiers. Combat troops wore the traditional Highland skirt in battle as late as the First World War, but now the plaid kilts are used as part of ceremonial uniform.

New kilts are needed for all Scottish soldiers following the August merger of centuries-old regiments into a single Royal Regiment of Scotland.

"A planned deployment of kilts will be agreed with the Royal Regiment of Scotland on a rollout basis with . . . the full program being completed by January 2008," a Defence Ministry spokesman said Monday.
Old 23-12-06, 01:03
FIOR GO BAS

Bruce I understand the funny you made but I must say that the 2nd Bn Irish Regiment of Canada has very few kilts as well and according to a serving member I was talking to at our annual dinner in September, they have to share kilts as well.

To me, it is a rather sad state of affairs when a unit lacks the finaces to outfit the members in the Traditional Kilts.
Old 23-12-06, 01:53

Default kilts

With all due respect that's what your Association is for. And your Honourary Col. and Lt. Col. They write the big cheques for the private purchases of dress uniforms and equipment not funded by the Military. Kilts are expensive I know, but a purchase of 25 per year over four years may solve the problem. It's sad that a lot of Highland Regiments have done away with doublets.
Old 23-12-06, 03:41
GM Fox I

Default It's not the kilt sharing or budget....

It's the amalgamation that flumoxes me. Can it be true? Just what is being lost here? Royal Regiment of Scotland replaces what exactly????
Old 23-12-06, 05:16
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Re: It's not the kilt sharing or budget....

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Parker
It's the amalgamation that flumoxes me. Can it be true? Just what is being lost here? Royal Regiment of Scotland replaces what exactly????
We've done the same here, Bruce. Roll up the Scottish regiments into one big identityless ball, then kick them in the nuts. Seems a popular sport these days. Score one for Scottish Nationalism? I know this chappie would be pissed (no, it's not my Shawn, but he IS blood):
Attached Thumbnails
gclow.jpg  
Old 23-12-06, 12:50

Default Recruiting

Yes it is horrible that many of the Scottish regiments have been amalgamated, but there was a significant recruiting problem. From what I understand there are no where near enough recruits to keep several of the highland units viable, including the Black Watch.
Old 23-12-06, 13:10
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: It's not the kilt sharing or budget....

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Parker
Hi Bruce;

The Formation Day of The Royal Regiment of Scotland was on 28 March 2006. To learn more on the regiment go here. The regiment will consist of seven battalions (see left side of screen - The Battalions link).

Cheers