MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > The Wireless Forum

Notices

Old 08-04-16, 00:29
GM Fox I

Default Wireless of the Week - week 8

On no…another 19 set!!

I would like to slide a few into this series and will do my best to make sure the ones I present are interesting enough to warrant the duplication.

Canadian 19 set production began in 1942 and this set is amongst the very first off the production line. It is a Mk.II set (Canadians never made the Mk.I) made by Northern Electric. The markings on the face are black letters on white backgrounds rather than white bilingual English/Russian letters on black backgrounds therefore predating the agreement to supply Russia with 19 sets. Another early feature is that there are rubber pads in the set mounting ‘Carrier No.21’ which were later replaced with canvas ones due to wartime rubber shortages.

Specifications are similar to the set shown in Week 1, though to recap: the 19 set is a tank, ground or vehicle radio and is comprised of a long range AM ‘A’ set operating between 2 to 8 megahertz, a short range VHF ‘B’ set and an intercom (IC). Mk.II sets operated on a 12V vehicle or battery power supply and had a rotary transformer in the supply unity that provided 12, 265 and 540 volts for the sender receiver. The sender receiver was continuously tunable and required the operator to tune the frequency, an ‘A PA’ (A set, Power Amplifier) dial and an external variometer (shown in picture 4). A meter on the face could be used to check the supply unit voltages as well as ‘dip’ or reach a maximum depending on the tuning step being performed. By pushing a button on the right side of the set the operator would hear a tone when he was receiving a signal from another set allowing him to tune or ‘net’ his transmitter to the exact same frequency.

A feature of 19 sets, and one that added to its versatility, is the control systems used. On most other wireless sets headsets (or individual microphone and earphones) plugged into the radio itself or a junction box amounting to the same thing. 19 sets, alternatively, used separate control boxes that not only accommodated the headset plugs (called ‘snatch’ plugs) but allowed for easy switching between the A, B and intercom functions. Different control units allowed different access and therefore controlled who talked to whom with what radio function. Typically the senior person in a station or vehicle had the unit with the most control. The individual control units also allowed them to be placed in different locations throughout a vehicle to be near crew member positions.

Some control units had an ‘N/R’ switch (‘Normal’ and ‘Re-Broadcast’) that let the operator switch between the A, B and IC sets from the same headset. This might occur, for instance, when a tank commander talking to other tanks on the short range B set needed to quickly transmit something back to base on the A set. When switched to ‘Re-Broadcast’ the operator could be working the B set and talk on the A, be operating the A set and talk on the B or transmit on both. A pilot lamp (seen in picture 2) would go on when switched to re-broadcst operation to prevent mistaken transmissions on the wrong set.

Picture 5 is of a small folder issued to signalers with tuning and netting instructions on one side, and care and maintenance on the other.
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg   4.jpg   5.jpg  

Last edited by Bruce Parker (RIP); 01-05-16 at 03:17. Reason: 'remote' - gone
Old 08-04-16, 18:35
Geoff Truscott

Hello Bruce
Thank for another interesting article. They are appreciated.
Possible to get a scan of the tuning and netting instructions or a source?

Geoff
Old 09-04-16, 18:14

Bruce.

Thanks for posting about these sets. Over the years I have run across maybe two PSU's with the English only white labels, but never made a connection to them mating up with a similar transceiver, or that they were real pioneers in Canadian 19-Set production history.

David
Old 09-04-16, 22:07
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Parker View Post
On no…another 19 set!!

A feature of 19 sets, and one that added to its versatility, is the control systems used. On most other wireless sets headsets (or individual microphone and earphones) plugged into the radio itself or a junction box amounting to the same thing. 19 sets, alternatively, used separate control boxes that not only accommodated the headset plugs (called ‘snatch’ plugs) but allowed for easy switching between the A, B and intercom functions. Different control units allowed different access and therefore controlled who talked to whom with what radio function. Typically the senior person in a station or vehicle had the unit with the most control. The individual control units also allowed them to be placed in different locations throughout a vehicle to be near crew member positions.

Some control units had an ‘N/R’ switch (‘Normal’ and ‘Remote’) that let the operator switch between the A, B and IC sets from the same headset. This might occur, for instance, when a tank commander talking to other tanks on the short range B set needed to quickly transmit something back to base on the A set. When switched to ‘Remote’ the operator could be working the B set and talk on the A, be operating the A set and talk on the B or transmit on both. A pilot lamp (seen in picture 2) would go on when switched to remote operation to prevent mistaken transmissions on the wrong set.
Er, not quite. <engage nitpick mode>

The wireless operator usually had the most control, via Control Unit No.2 (or 3, 6 and 16); the commander (in a multiple control unit installation) would have access to all sets + intercom, and most other users would be Intercom only.

The N/R switch is "Normal" and "Rebroadcast", which allows the receiver output of any set to be retransmitted using a particular other set. This can get quite complicated in things like Command tanks, with a 2 or 3-set installation and Control Units 16 and 17 (or 33), or the ACV/LCV setup with 2 sets and Control Units 4 & 6.

Rebroadcast facilities are on the Operator control unit (2, 3, 6 or 16), the Commander's unit will be a No. 1, 4, 17 or 33 and just allows the droplead to be switched to particular set outputs or intercom.

No.6 is the most complicated that I've encountered, for two WS19s in a command vehicle. (Though I believe there was also one (No. 39?) that allowed a WS38/31/88 AFV set to be added to the mix.)

No.6 settings:

Operator droplead switch positions: A1, IC, B, A2, R

In the "R" position, the 12-position switch comes into play. There are three "Listen" positions for monitoring, where the transmit switch is disabled:

1) "Listen All (A1, B, IC & A2)"
2) "Listen A1 & B"
3) "Listen A2 & B"

There are then three sets of switch positions, controlling the Rebroadcast function. The middle position is for the control operator - to announce the rebroadcast, then switch the traffic in appropriate directions when required (in the middle position transmit is controlled by the operator's microphone, in the other two (rebroadcast) positions the set is locked on transmit and the operator's microphone disconnected - headphone is still connected to the set being rebroadcast, of course, so the operator knows when to switch the rebroadcast direction).

4) B -> A1 (rebroadcast B set on A1)
5) B + A1 (receive & transmit on both - for setting up rebroadcast)
6) A1 -> B (rebroadcast A1 set on B)

7) A2 -> B (rebroadcast A2 set on B)
8) A2 + B (receive & transmit on both - for setting up rebroadcast)
9) B -> A2 (listen A2. R: rebroadcast B set on A2)

10) A2 -> A1 (rebroadcast A2 set on A1)
11) A1 + A2 (receive & transmit on both - for setting up rebroadcast)
12) A1 -> A2 (rebroadcast A1 set on A2)

I suspect using this facility took a lot of practice!

The red light (on the Operator control units) is "A set unattended" and is to warn you that no headset is switched to the "A" set position.

Control Unit No.16 just added the "C" set (WS38, 88, or 31 AFV) to a standard No.2 control unit, the No.17 was the commander's version (No.1 with AFV set), and No.33 is a command tank version of the No.17 with A1, IC, A2, 31/88AFV positions (the 'B' set had been discontinued at this point and its switch position repurposed).

Yes, it's complicated.

Chris.

Last edited by Chris Suslowicz; 09-04-16 at 22:08. Reason: Typo, of course!
Old 09-04-16, 22:44
GM Fox I

Ya got me. It is Rebroadcast (actually, in the 19 set manual it is 'Re-Broadcast'). The 'remote' seems to have crept in because I was writing up next week's installment on RCU's at the same time. I'd have to look at other AFV installations but in the Fox armoured car it's the commander who gets the control unit with the N/R switch.

I WAS going to do something on various 19 set control units...but...ah...never mind, I think you've got it covered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Suslowicz View Post
Er, not quite. <engage nitpick mode>

The wireless operator usually had the most control, via Control Unit No.2 (or 3, 6 and 16); the commander (in a multiple control unit installation) would have access to all sets + intercom, and most other users would be Intercom only.

The N/R switch is "Normal" and "Rebroadcast", which allows the receiver output of any set to be retransmitted using a particular other set. This can get quite complicated in things like Command tanks, with a 2 or 3-set installation and Control Units 16 and 17 (or 33), or the ACV/LCV setup with 2 sets and Control Units 4 & 6.

Rebroadcast facilities are on the Operator control unit (2, 3, 6 or 16), the Commander's unit will be a No. 1, 4, 17 or 33 and just allows the droplead to be switched to particular set outputs or intercom.

No.6 is the most complicated that I've encountered, for two WS19s in a command vehicle. (Though I believe there was also one (No. 39?) that allowed a WS38/31/88 AFV set to be added to the mix.)

No.6 settings:

Operator droplead switch positions: A1, IC, B, A2, R

In the "R" position, the 12-position switch comes into play. There are three "Listen" positions for monitoring, where the transmit switch is disabled:

1) "Listen All (A1, B, IC & A2)"
2) "Listen A1 & B"
3) "Listen A2 & B"

There are then three sets of switch positions, controlling the Rebroadcast function. The middle position is for the control operator - to announce the rebroadcast, then switch the traffic in appropriate directions when required (in the middle position transmit is controlled by the operator's microphone, in the other two (rebroadcast) positions the set is locked on transmit and the operator's microphone disconnected - headphone is still connected to the set being rebroadcast, of course, so the operator knows when to switch the rebroadcast direction).

4) B -> A1 (rebroadcast B set on A1)
5) B + A1 (receive & transmit on both - for setting up rebroadcast)
6) A1 -> B (rebroadcast A1 set on B)

7) A2 -> B (rebroadcast A2 set on B)
8) A2 + B (receive & transmit on both - for setting up rebroadcast)
9) B -> A2 (listen A2. R: rebroadcast B set on A2)

10) A2 -> A1 (rebroadcast A2 set on A1)
11) A1 + A2 (receive & transmit on both - for setting up rebroadcast)
12) A1 -> A2 (rebroadcast A1 set on A2)

I suspect using this facility took a lot of practice!

The red light (on the Operator control units) is "A set unattended" and is to warn you that no headset is switched to the "A" set position.

Control Unit No.16 just added the "C" set (WS38, 88, or 31 AFV) to a standard No.2 control unit, the No.17 was the commander's version (No.1 with AFV set), and No.33 is a command tank version of the No.17 with A1, IC, A2, 31/88AFV positions (the 'B' set had been discontinued at this point and its switch position repurposed).

Yes, it's complicated.

Chris.
Old 09-04-16, 23:24
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Parker View Post
Ya got me. It is Rebroadcast (actually, in the 19 set manual it is 'Re-Broadcast'). The 'remote' seems to have crept in because I was writing up next week's installment on RCU's at the same time. I'd have to look at other AFV installations but in the Fox armoured car it's the commander who gets the control unit with the N/R switch.

I WAS going to do something on various 19 set control units...but...ah...never mind, I think you've got it covered.
Once I get stuff sorted out (like the impending (and involuntary) house move) I will be able to lay stuff out and photograph it. I'll probably have more free time, too, in which to do the things I want to. (Stop Laughing!)

Small AFVs like the Daimler Dingo tended to use one control unit like the No.3, which is a double-sized box containing (effectively) the No.1 (commander) and No.2 (operator) units thus reducing the need for extra cabling. It's only when you get to large AFVs with more crew that things get complicated.

The WS19 control harness began life with Control Units No.1 and No.2, plus Junction Distributions No.1 and No.2 (Then things got out of hand somewhat.)

I like the idea of Control Unit No.8, with two dropleads: one standard length, and one 15 feet long.

(It was intended for AFV training, where the instructor could ride outside the tank and give directions over the intercom. Sanity prevailed with the No.8 Mk.1* that had two normal length dropleads and was presumably used with a suitable extension cable that could be quickly replaced when it got chewed up by the tracks or snagged on an obstruction, rather than having to dismantle the CU and wire in a new lead.)

Chris. (Wondering if strikethrough works on this system?)

Last edited by Chris Suslowicz; 09-04-16 at 23:26. Reason: Strikethrough does not work. :(