MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MLU ADMIN > Forum Readme

Notices

Old 14-07-17, 08:44
MLU Administrator

Exclamation Photobucket users: please add your pictures to your posts here

I have noticed that Photobucket must have updated their 3rd party hosting policies. It looks like users will have to pay for sharing links to their photos on other websites and forums like this one.

This means a great loss of info, as the linked photos are replaced by the image below without a link to the orginal.

So please update your account to enable us to see your pictures here on MLU again - or better yet: please attach your photos to your posts as described here

Thanks in advance!
Hanno

Name:  TAHShikshaAdd04TrevorTaylor_zps28cd297b.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  7.0 KB
Old 14-07-17, 13:08
carrier mech

Updating the account to allow 3rd party hosting costs $399 a year. I can't see it happening, at least not for normal web users.

You have been proven right after all these years Hanno, constantly insisting that we upload our photos to MLU. It looks like we have gotten away only mildly scarred by this. Other forums I use have lost a lot of content, and all my photos are included in that.
Old 16-07-17, 12:26
MLU Administrator

Rob, that sounds like a classic lure-in. First offer services for free, then as users have come dependent on it, charge heavily. The amount they charge is insane, can't see personal users buy that service in great numbers.

On Wikipedia I read "As of June 30, 2017, Photobucket requires a $99 annual subscription to allow external linking to all hosted images and a $399 annual subscription to allow the embedding of images on third-party websites, such as personal blogs and forums. This policy change, enacted with no advance warning, has been highly controversial."

Anyway, any members on here who still have their pictures on their hard drive are invited to re-attach them to the threads and posts on MLU. I have increased the maximum allowable size for .jpg and .jpeg attachments to 1.5 MB and 1600 pixels width. The forum software will resize larger files to a certain extent, but when you get an error message while uploading a picture, please resize and try again.

And this is why we want to see your pictures
Name:  this_thread_is_worthless_without_pics.gif
Views: 143
Size:  11.8 KB

Thanks,
Hanno
Old 24-08-17, 12:14
MLU Administrator

This article outlines some alternatives for Photobucket: https://www.ghacks.net/2017/07/02/ph...r-third-party/

As the other alternatives may change their policies for linking images over time as well, our preference remains to attach pictures to your postings here on MLU - that is the only way we are really sure to keep your pictures with your writings.

HTH,
Hanno
Old 25-08-17, 16:22
MLU Administrator

Stuart,

Good point and I have looked into that possibility in the past.

Here is my photo album: http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/album.php?u=2

And here is a picture linked from there:

What I have to do is to check the possible picture sizes and access by non-members. Each time a non-MLU member accesses a full-size photo, this means internet server usage (and thus cost). That is why non-members can only see thumbnail photos, and not the full size ones.

Regards,
Hanno
Old 19-10-17, 01:05
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

This solution was posted by a user on the REMLR Forum:

"When photobucket went all ransomware on us, they pretty much broke the internet. There was a bunch of photos here on REMLR that folks had posted over the years which were suddenly unavailable.

For those using Chrome and Firefox browsers, there are a few extensions/add-ons out there now which will re-link the pictures so they are visible in any browser running said extensions.

On Chrome, the extension I'm using is called "Photobucket Embed Fix" and it is working fine for me. https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...flicjjgj?hl=en

The Firefox browser version is here - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...-embedded-fix/

I'm not all that cluey with the computational apparatus, but if I can work it out, anyone can ;-)"
Old 19-10-17, 14:31

Default Only a temporary fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Smith View Post
This solution was posted by a user on the REMLR Forum:

"When photobucket went all ransomware on us, they pretty much broke the internet. There was a bunch of photos here on REMLR that folks had posted over the years which were suddenly unavailable.

For those using Chrome and Firefox browsers, there are a few extensions/add-ons out there now which will re-link the pictures so they are visible in any browser running said extensions.

On Chrome, the extension I'm using is called "Photobucket Embed Fix" and it is working fine for me. https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...flicjjgj?hl=en

The Firefox browser version is here - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...-embedded-fix/

I'm not all that cluey with the computational apparatus, but if I can work it out, anyone can ;-)"
Hi Tony

Good short term fix, but for MLU the only real fix is to upload important photos directly to MLU.

Reason I think this only a temporary fix is that Photobucket will likely revamp it's software to block the backdoor as soon as it feels it is losing money.

But this a good way for any of us who know of other people's photos, on MLU, they think are important and grab a screen shot and then post the rescued photos. So if you know of a thread that has "Photobucket" photos by people who are no longer with us, go through the threads and grab screen shots while you can.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com