MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 26-08-18, 22:15

Default F15 4x2 A/A platform

Hello, this is my first post on here, I'm still learning some of the history on these CMP's so beg my pardon if i quote something incorrectly or assume something to be be true when it may clearly not be, happy to be corrected... and so;

Some years ago in the late 1980's my Dad (some IMPS members may know him - Mark Palmer) purchased a "rare" 1943 Ford F15 cab 13 A/A mk II platform from Robin Cecil. The adverts of the time in Wheels & Tracks read:

Very Rare 1943 Ford F15 20-mm AA platform truck (FVD page 227). Genuine 10.930 miles. 95% complete (alas no gun!). Easy restoration. ₤550 or exchange good quality Jeep parts, especially capstan winch. Tel. (daytime only) 01-253 0791 - Robin or 0732 70278 - Claudine.

Another interesting CMP F15, now a 1943 C291WQ (s/n 110574) with AA platform body, was recovered from a garden in Surrey last year (and the subject of a Wee-Tee in issue 23). It still has the original British WD numbers [Z5196119] and was modified only in being fitted with flasher and plywood sides and tailboard. Paul Sutton of Kent submitted some photos and full details of the ID plates. Built January 18, 1943, it was shipped under Contract SM2485 as an F15412-M-VAN-6, the conversion to AA being done in Britain.

It was around this time during the tear down for restoration that another F15 came up for sale in a far worse state and we were going to buy it for spare parts. A chap named Dave Ballard bought it, heard we had this original and somewhat complete one and spent a day photographing, measuring and documenting it to replicate what was missing on his. I've read a few threads on here so am aware that Dave is a known entity who restored an astounding F15 4x2 AA complete with a 20mm Polsten that went to a museum in Belgium but here he is many moons ago in our old garden collecting his thoughts/plans for his chassis

As with most projects, other opportunities came up and Hilda as we call her was shelved. Fast forward a few years and my Dad and I have had snippets of time to restore her to her former glory and we're now tantalisingly close. The GS body has been built as we dont have the AA gun mount bits but who knows, one day perhaps.

Paint is all done but our next mission is to work out what battalion/markings etc are required.

Thanks for reading,

Dudley
Old 26-08-18, 22:45
MLU Administrator

Hello Dudley,

Thanks for joining us - and "look what the cat dragged in!"

I still remember being fascinated when I read the ad back in 1988, and I've always wondered ever since where this F15 ended up. Thanks for bringing her out of oblivion and restoring this F15. I really like the way you preserved the platform body, converting it into something more practical.

I know both Dave and Rory Ballard, even though it has been some years since I've last seen them. Dave did indeed did a great job restoring his F15 AA Truck.

Steve Stone is also restoring one, do you know him?

And then there is Keith Orpin who now owns the very original C15 variant - see the thread C15 4x2.

Hanno
Old 27-08-18, 00:23
MVT Member 11001

Default AA Platform

Interesting vehicle; what can anyone say about the rear wheel arches, which look quite strange for a CMP?
Old 27-08-18, 00:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hayward View Post
Interesting vehicle; what can anyone say about the rear wheel arches, which look quite strange for a CMP?
It has a contract plate showing it was a British built platform body for the AA gun. The arches date back to that.

1943 Bedford QLD lorry - 1941 BSA WM20 m/cycle - 1943 Daimler Scout Car Mk2
Member of MVT, IMPS, MVG of NSW, KVE and AMVCS
KVE President & KVE News Editor
Old 27-08-18, 08:45
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hayward View Post
Like Richard noted, this is a special platform body to carry the 20-mm Polsten AA gun. See the thread Truck, 15-cwt, 4x2, A.A. for more information.

Dudley mentioned they built it up as a GS body as they don't have the gun.

HTH,
Old 27-08-18, 11:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra View Post
Dudley mentioned they built it up as a GS body as they don't have the gun.
Quite right, the quandary was that if dont have the complete gun mount then we should make it GS which ties in nicely for camping at shows.

Having said that, if you look at the bottom quarters of the GS body there are square plate panels. These panels flap open and metal stands are inserted which allow you to jack up the GS body in its entirety and drive away with the factory built AA platform intact and unmolested.

This leave the option of replicating an AA gun and locker box should the parts/need arise.

We also have the templates for the rear cab toolbox/locker and spare carrier but sadly we dont have the clam shells. Something we'll be fabricating shortly.

30 Chrysler CJ
34 Chevrolet Standard Coupe
35 Ford Panel Delivery
40 Ford Tudor Sedan
43 GMC CCKW 353
43 Ford F15 4x2 AA MKII
46 Chevrolet COE
Old 27-02-19, 09:43

Default TAC/Unit Identification/AoS marking help

Hi all, looking for a little help on deciphering and navigating my way through the minefield of Tactical, Unit ID, Battery, Divisional markings to go in our F15 4x2 AA truck.

I’ve poured over pictures of Mr Ballards fantastic old F15 but have been told that some parts were misinterpreted at the time owing to a sever lack of any period photos, bar a fairly well known one on the beach a bit after the initial DDay landings. Who knows, one day both Daves old F15 and ours could grace the beach in a recreation of the photo one day, one can dream!!

I’d like to address this all now, get as much info on these markings as I pretty much know little to nothing except that I’d like to include the Desert Rat and 73 on red/blue. Everything else I need a shunt in the right direction. I also notice from Dave Ballards F15 an S inside a broken Triangle... any ideas what that is?

I especially have an interest in the Unit Identification Square with the battery and vehicle number etc, I’m not entirely sure what that should a) look like and b) what colours would be correct.

Here’s a rubbishy iPhone recoloured sketch thing showing a few areas on a truck (though the image is not 4x2 you’ll have to imagine a little)

Any help, pointers, ideas, suggestions greatly received. We just want it fairly accurate and out and about this year fully 100% period correct.

Cheers all

Duds

30 Chrysler CJ
35 Ford Panel Delivery
40 Ford Tudor Sedan
43 GMC CCKW 353
43 Ford F15 4x2 AA MKII
46 Chevrolet COE
Old 27-02-19, 09:52

30 Chrysler CJ
35 Ford Panel Delivery
40 Ford Tudor Sedan
43 GMC CCKW 353
43 Ford F15 4x2 AA MKII
46 Chevrolet COE
Old 10-09-21, 20:25
MLU Administrator

Dudley driving his F15 around at recent show in the UK:

Click image for larger version

Name:	8C587B02-C17C-4CEA-9902-A2F19700A945.jpeg
Views:	5
Size:	208.4 KB
ID:	124600
Old 20-09-21, 22:02
MLU Administrator

Default "we should make it GS"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudley P View Post
Quite right, the quandary was that if dont have the complete gun mount then we should make it GS which ties in nicely for camping at shows.

Having said that, if you look at the bottom quarters of the GS body there are square plate panels. These panels flap open and metal stands are inserted which allow you to jack up the GS body in its entirety and drive away with the factory built AA platform intact and unmolested.

This leave the option of replicating an AA gun and locker box should the parts/need arise.

We also have the templates for the rear cab toolbox/locker and spare carrier but sadly we dont have the clam shells. Something we'll be fabricating shortly.
Found these screenshots of wartime or early postwar footage taken near Westkapelle, The Netherlands. I think it shows what you have done: a 20-mm gun platform was converted into some sort of GS body.

I do not have a link to the source footage at hand, but I will try to find it back.

Click image for larger version

Name:	westkapelle.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	178.0 KB
ID:	124833 Click image for larger version

Name:	westkapelle 2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	170.7 KB
ID:	124834