MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 19-05-06, 12:18

Question Chassis Numbers on Ford CMPs

Where are the chassis numbers located on the Fords.

Trying to identify two vehicles.

The first a 13 cab F60s ex RAAF. No indentifying plates. Chassis completely removed of paint and gone over. No numbers that could be chassis numbers found. all numbers appear to be part numbers . Vehicle had been previously restored but number found on nose under several layers of paint is different. Vehicle is either 213062 or 213709 which is the number found under the paint.

The second is a 12 cab F60l which i hope to restore a s well. Still gathering parts. No badges were on vehicle except the one that was near the firewall under bonnet. Unfortunately it was removed within 12 hours of me recovering vehicle. Is this badge to do with the cooling system as i am led to believe? It has above this badge painted on the date 8-6-41 with the numbers 2037 below. Is this the manufacturers serial number and build date? No numbers found on chassis. Number found painted on side of nose is 27896.

Any information would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 19-05-06, 13:00

Default location of chassis number

I have an F60S also and the chassis number is on the top of the chassis , on the drivers side, beneath the cab. It may be hard to find if covered in many coats of paint etc, but you should be able to see it from under the front wheel arch.
Grant Fincher
Old 19-05-06, 17:30
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Default Re: Chassis Numbers on Ford CMP'S

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Pinckney
Where are the chassis numbers located on the Fords?

The second is a 12 cab F60l ........... No badges were on vehicle except the one that was near the firewall under bonnet. Unfortunately it was removed within 12 hours of me recovering vehicle. Is this badge to do with the cooling system as i am led to believe?

Any information would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Fords are notorious for their Maybe/Maybe not system of stamping chassis numbers. They had a Vehicle Serial number and an Engine number. Either could be stamped in a variety of locations, or no mumber at all!. We think that the engine number will only be found on the engine block, but it was frequently used as the vehicle identifying number, so it may also be found on the bellhousing on the gearbox incase the engine was swapped out.

The plate on the engine bay side of the passenger's footwell is the instructions for draining the radiator. These are available repro
Congrats on finding two interesting Blitzes, Chris! Where in Oz are you?
Attached Images

Old 20-05-06, 01:15
Film maker, CMP addict

Default This is where to look

The engine number as chassis number next to the RH engine mount as seen on this F60L T Stores

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 20-05-06, 10:51

Thanks for the replies .

All paint had been removed from
the F60s but nothing resembled chassis number. The RAAF number was supposed to have been identified from
the engine number so either the engine has been changed or the nose. The vehicle was John Oldenmenger's old truck
for those in the NSW scene John belongs to the AMVCS..
Currently under restoration.

Thanks for the pic of the radiator instructions.
The F60l doesn't have the original motor. Vehicle came
from Cabramatta and was used for roadworks. It has a
GMC tipper fitted and has had a hard life.

I also have an F15 and a C60l witth garwood slewing crane on back which i belive was off a kenworth wrecker.

I am located near Penrith.
Old 22-10-09, 21:54

Default Ford CMP Chassis ser.# location

Hi All,
I have been looking for my chassis serial number on my Ford 3 ton CMP and have had no luck in finding it.Is there a common location where they are stamped that will help me finding it?
Derk.
Old 22-10-09, 22:44

Hi,
On my ford the serial number is on the frame passengers side front well and it have the ford star
Old 22-10-09, 23:51
David Pope

Ford cab 11s and some cab 12s will have the serial # stamped in the passengers side of the frame rail under the cab on the vertical face. Cab 13s don't usually have a serial # stamped in the frame. I've seen some however stamped on the top of the frame right by the front motor mounts. If the tranny is original then the # stamped on the top slopey part of the bell housing is the serial #.
1940 Cab 11 F15A w/ Chev rear ends
1941 Cab 12 F15A
1942-44 Cab 13 F15A x 5
1942 cab 13 F15A with 2B1 box
1943 cab 13 F15A with 2H1 box
1943 Cab 13 C8A HUP
1944 Cab 13 C15A with 2C1 box
1943 Cletrac M2 High Speed Tractor
MkII Bren gun carrier chassis x 2
Old 23-10-09, 02:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by derk derin View Post
Hi All,
I have been looking for my chassis serial number on my Ford 3 ton CMP and have had no luck in finding it.Is there a common location where they are stamped that will help me finding it?
Derk.
Hello Derk,
If it's any help my F30 has the serial no. 99 TF 558342 ( which is the same as that stamped on the engine clutch housing) stamped on the vertical face of the left hand chassis rail 42" foreward from the centreline of the rear axle.
It was very hard to see and only became apparent after sandblasting and priming the chassis.
Regards Terry.
Old 27-10-09, 22:09

Default chassis number

Hi all,
Thanks for the leads,I am currently stripping the parts off of my CMP and will get a better look at the frame.I have ordered internet hookup at my house and will soon be on line and you guys will be sick of all my questions by spring but I appreciate all the help!
Derk.
Old 12-01-14, 14:33
MLU Administrator

I was shown a chassis number on a FGT recently, struck on the right hand chassis rail, just in front of the rearmost spring hanger. Difficult to see, would have been easy to overlook if the chassis would have been rusty or covered in many layers of paint.

H.
Old 14-01-14, 00:26

In Chris P's case (the first post .... I'm a little slow!) , we are dealing with Australian-assembled vehicles with Australian content, so the chassis number of the Cab 13 is the same as the original engine number, and is located as per Keith Webb's earlier post. It should also be the same position for the cab 12: it is where Ford Australia stamped the chassis/engine number on the majority of their vehicles.

Imported vehicles (as individual CKD with numbers assigned in Canada) were different: commonly, engine numbers beginning with BB18F were stamped on the front top edge of the gearbox, for example.

RAAF 213062 was a Bedford, so not your truck.
RAAF 213709 was an F60S, equipped with a water tank and spray assembly (as used by Airfield Construction Squadrons), so this is a likely candidate for your truck.

27896 is an AMF number assigned to a Ford CMP Cab 12, 4x4, 158 inch WB GS truck, chassis number 2G39395F, original engine number 2G39395F, later changed to engine number 2G42339F. Again, a likely candidate for your truck.

Mike C